Paint Protection Film recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-17, 06:50 PM
RCF100
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Paint Protection Film recommendations

Hey everyone,

Just looking for some opinions on what type of protection is necessary and how much I should be looking to spend. The car is garaged 99% of the time and isn't used to commute daily. Mostly just an around town/enjoy myself car! I know lexus offers some type of paint protection film application starting at $420 on their site. I called to see if my dealer had any cars with the film applied so I can check it out, but nothing was around. Also, I know there are some brands that are better than others. Xpel/3m. I had an exotic shop quote me $2200 for a full front end application with Xpel, but that seemed like a lot!

Thanks
Old 02-07-17, 07:33 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

I used xpel.
IMO ppf is overpriced because only high end car owners get it applied. Those shops know it.

When I started shopping for my car to be wrapped, some shops here in atlanta quoted me over $7000 to wrap my entire car which has the Tom's skirt kit on it. Even without the kit and just oem, the full wrap was $5500. Those people live on another planet...

I ended up finding a smaller shop, still an authorized xpel installer, to do my whole front end, rockers plus the Tom's pieces for $1600 which I still thought was high but doable. Compared to the other quotes, this was a steal.

The front end is really what you should concentrate on: Bumper, grill, hood, head lights, mirrors, plus the rocker.

Good luck finding a quality installer at a reasonable price.
Old 02-07-17, 07:44 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

I went with Xpel as well. Most people can't tell it's on there. Did just the front end. Certainly worth it for the piece of mind and knowing that one rock chip would drive me insane. Prices I've heard about $1500+.

Really should check out their work because it is installer dependent. If they cost a little bit more than others but looks undetectable then maybe worth it.

Plus any minor imperfections on install is not perceivable from a 5-10 foot distance.

Some folks say the suntek is better for darker colors due to orange peel often associated with Xpel. But I have no experience with this.
Old 02-07-17, 08:07 PM
Ricardorc
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by RCF100
Hey everyone,

Just looking for some opinions on what type of protection is necessary and how much I should be looking to spend. The car is garaged 99% of the time and isn't used to commute daily. Mostly just an around town/enjoy myself car! I know lexus offers some type of paint protection film application starting at $420 on their site. I called to see if my dealer had any cars with the film applied so I can check it out, but nothing was around. Also, I know there are some brands that are better than others. Xpel/3m. I had an exotic shop quote me $2200 for a full front end application with Xpel, but that seemed like a lot!

Thanks
hey man , i have the oem film from Lexus ( brand new ) for the hood and fenders. I'm letting it for a fair price if you are insterested!
thanks
Old 02-08-17, 12:25 PM
RCF100
Driver

Originally Posted by Mingofish
I used xpel.
IMO ppf is overpriced because only high end car owners get it applied. Those shops know it.

When I started shopping for my car to be wrapped, some shops here in atlanta quoted me over $7000 to wrap my entire car which has the Tom's skirt kit on it. Even without the kit and just oem, the full wrap was $5500. Those people live on another planet...

I ended up finding a smaller shop, still an authorized xpel installer, to do my whole front end, rockers plus the Tom's pieces for $1600 which I still thought was high but doable. Compared to the other quotes, this was a steal.

The front end is really what you should concentrate on: Bumper, grill, hood, head lights, mirrors, plus the rocker.

Good luck finding a quality installer at a reasonable price.
Wow those are some crazy quotes. Definitely worth it if you are purchasing a top tier car but just can't justify it for the RCF sadly. That seems like an acceptable price for the front end/rockers etc. I think being in NY partially hurts too because everything is overpriced.

Originally Posted by LXSDO
I went with Xpel as well. Most people can't tell it's on there. Did just the front end. Certainly worth it for the piece of mind and knowing that one rock chip would drive me insane. Prices I've heard about $1500+.

Really should check out their work because it is installer dependent. If they cost a little bit more than others but looks undetectable then maybe worth it.

Plus any minor imperfections on install is not perceivable from a 5-10 foot distance.

Some folks say the suntek is better for darker colors due to orange peel often associated with Xpel. But I have no experience with this.
That's how I'm thinking. I'd love to have that peace of mind.

Originally Posted by Ricardorc
hey man , i have the oem film from Lexus ( brand new ) for the hood and fenders. I'm letting it for a fair price if you are insterested!
thanks
How much do those pieces cover?
Old 02-08-17, 12:29 PM
Ricardorc
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Wow those are some crazy quotes. Definitely worth it if you are purchasing a top tier car but just can't justify it for the RCF sadly. That seems like an acceptable price for the front end/rockers etc. I think being in NY partially hurts too because everything is overpriced.

That's how I'm thinking. I'd love to have that peace of mind.

How much do those pieces cover?
its for the half of the hood and less than half on the fenders .
thanks
Old 02-08-17, 03:15 PM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

I used xpel.
This is what I did. Cost me $1200
Old 02-08-17, 04:05 PM
RCF100
Driver

Originally Posted by lexusnutt
I'm yet to get a quote around that price :-(, where did you have it done and what was used?
Old 02-08-17, 08:52 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexusnutt
so we are about the same. My $1600 included hand cutting & wrapping of my Tom's lip & side skirts plus the oem car pieces.
Old 02-09-17, 09:51 AM
RCF100
Driver

so we are about the same. My $1600 included hand cutting & wrapping of my Tom's lip & side skirts plus the oem car pieces.
By OEM car pieces do you mean you had the entire car done for $1600? I'm assuming you got your front end along with your extra body kit parts
Old 02-09-17, 09:50 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

By OEM car pieces do you mean you had the entire car done for $1600? I'm assuming you got your front end along with your extra body kit parts
you assumed correct.
The oe pieces were full hood, full fenders, front bumper, grill surround, front skirt trim, mirrors, head lights, & rockers.
Old 02-10-17, 10:45 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Almost did the full car in Xpel...should have just done the whole car...haha. Yes, it was expensive...I don't remember the exact price. I also had the whole car sealed in Opti-Coat.
Old 02-10-17, 12:02 PM
RCF100
Driver

you assumed correct.
The oe pieces were full hood, full fenders, front bumper, grill surround, front skirt trim, mirrors, head lights, & rockers.
Lowest I've seen for full front is around $2k

Originally Posted by Ne1tHeRe
Almost did the full car in Xpel...should have just done the whole car...haha. Yes, it was expensive...I don't remember the exact price. I also had the whole car sealed in Opti-Coat.
Lol yeah, full car is serious money sadly.
Old 02-10-17, 12:42 PM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Lol yeah, full car is serious money sadly.
I already did most of the car which makes keeping it clean and protected much, much easier. Kicking myself for not going full. Looking to do either black or CF on roof and top of trunk...should have done that in the beginning...oh well...haha.
Old 02-10-17, 01:25 PM
RCF100
Driver

Originally Posted by Ne1tHeRe
I already did most of the car which makes keeping it clean and protected much, much easier. Kicking myself for not going full. Looking to do either black or CF on roof and top of trunk...should have done that in the beginning...oh well...haha.
What did you have PPF applied to? More than just the front I'm assuming? Carbon fiber vinyl wrap you mean?

Quick Reply: Paint Protection Film recommendations