Issue with my new RCF

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-17, 01:44 PM
RCF100
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Unhappy Issue with my new RCF

Hey everyone,
I've been following the forum for a while now, I finally purchased the RCF I had been looking at and got it home.
It's a 2016 Obsidian black, leftover at dealer with only 15 miles when I saw it first.
I didn't want to dealer touching/cleaning the car so I requested for them not to handle it, my plan was to bring it to a friends shop who works on very high end cars (million dollar type cars) and have him handle the removing of plastic and cleaning. So I picked up the car, drove right home, then the next day drove to my friends shop.

When I got to him, we started taking the wrapping off and instantly noticed the paint that was exposed to the sun had oxidized. Additionally, the paint under the plastic had a lot of residue glue that wouldn't come off, along with some swirls/scratches (this is under the plastic). The other parts of the paint were terribly dirty (car was clearly left outside the entire time) and filled with lots of swirls. Caring for this paint went from being a fairly cheap $200-300 job to now a $700-800 job to fix all of this. So I called the dealer while still at my friends business and went over everything. They told me to bring the car in the next morning to talk. They told me one of their detailing has been there for 20-25 years and handles all of the black cars, he is apparently quite talented. Various people at the dealer mentioned his name specifically. I have an appointment to go in Thursday with the car.

The other bad news is that, while looking over the car for things to point out to him, we also found a couple scratches on the drivers side door, not just swirls, these are descent scratches. Clearly from someone leaning on it at the dealer or walking by and hitting it or something. I will attach pictures. I would like to ask for everyone's opinion on this damage. What should I request be done? How should the dealer handle the situation?

Sadly, this has taken an exciting situation/moment are put a pretty major damper on it all, hopefully it will all work out and it isn't spoiled.

Old 01-30-17, 02:11 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Even cars that sat on the dealer lot for a week can have damages. You opted to take a "dirty car" before a complete detail and expect perfection? 99% cars sit on the open lot. Even high end exotics.
Don't stress over it and just let the dealer handle it (should let them detail it to begin with), or else you will forever have a sour taste in the mouth
Old 01-30-17, 02:14 PM
RCF100
Driver

Originally Posted by ssmoked
Even cars that sat on the dealer lot for a week can have damages. You opted to take a "dirty car" before a complete detail and expect perfection? 99% cars sit on the open lot. Even high end exotics.
Don't stress over it and just let the dealer handle it (should let them detail it to begin with), or else you will forever have a sour taste in the mouth
I wouldn't say that I was expecting perfection, but I was expecting something in far better condition than what it is for a car that never had an owner and was barely driven! Most of the swirls and very light things I'm sure can be taken care of, would be great if their detailer is good enough to take most of them out. The main thing I'm worried about are the scratches in the picture, I don't think they will simply buff out easily. I'm not sure what they will do about those.

I am very surprised to hear that so many high dollar cars sit outside though!
Old 01-30-17, 02:24 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

My molten pearl was also a leftover made in 06/15 that I picked up in 02/16, after the detail it was blinging in the well lite delivery room. They did a fine job. Of course my color hides streaks much better than black.
You should know a black car will have more swirl marks compared to any other cars. They prob came from the weekly "wash" while sitting in the lot. As long it gets waxed regularly it should be ok.... for 2 days

dealerships have industrial grade rubbing compounds that will get rid of the scratch. If they don't, have them repaint it.

Hopefully in the future an important lesson is learned. Before signing any documents, make sure the good is in perfect condition.
Old 01-30-17, 02:32 PM
Colt45ccg
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow - that is surprising on a new car. I'm sure the dealer will be able to remove those scratches to your satisfaction.

ON a side note, are you sure black paint is for you? Having owned a lot of black cars (it is my favorite color), the blemishes are only going to get worse!!
Old 01-30-17, 02:38 PM
RCF100
Driver

Originally Posted by ssmoked
My molten pearl was also a leftover made in 06/15 that I picked up in 02/16, after the detail it was blinging in the well lite delivery room. They did a fine job. Of course my color hides streaks much better than black.
You should know a black car will have more swirl marks compared to any other cars. They prob came from the weekly "wash" while sitting in the lot. As long it gets waxed regularly it should be ok.... for 2 days

dealerships have industrial grade rubbing compounds that will get rid of the scratch. If they don't, have them repaint it.

Hopefully in the future an important lesson is learned. Before signing any documents, make sure the good is in perfect condition.
I will have to hope that the detail on my car will be as impressive as the one you received! Yup, I'm sure the swirl marks and minor marks are all from their occasional machine wash they give. Again, not an issue as mostly every one of them should be able to be removed by a good detailer.
Hopefully they can get those few bad scratches out, if not, I will have to request either touch up or repaint for that door. I would very much like to avoid re-paint for the whole door though. Don't want issues with selling the car in the future.

I agree, I am fairly young and this has been my first "luxury car" purchase. In the future I will approach it a bit differently to protect myself.
Old 01-30-17, 02:39 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Colt45ccg
Wow - that is surprising on a new car. I'm sure the dealer will be able to remove those scratches to your satisfaction.

ON a side note, are you sure black paint is for you? Having owned a lot of black cars (it is my favorite color), the blemishes are only going to get worse!!
or introduce more with poor washing technique...

i never let dealerships wash or detail any of my cars, anymore. after all the work that i put by correcting the paint and sealing it, to have it come back with swirls because they washed it with dirty rags just isnt worth it.

to the OP, i hope they take care of you. i know its frustrating but try to be patient. but being a black car, definitely get some type of ceramic coating on that thing, asap. it will save you lots of heartache down the road...
Old 01-30-17, 02:41 PM
RCF100
Driver

Originally Posted by Colt45ccg

I agree! =[. Yup, wish me luck for Thursday. Sounds like they are going to put some descent time into it as well being that I was scheduled for a bit later in the week when he would have more time to focus on my RCF.

I have owned a black car before, I am obsessive and OCD but I take pride in caring for my possessions the best I can. I detail cars on the side, so I am capable of keeping the car looking beautiful, I was just disappointed by the condition of a "new" car.
Old 01-30-17, 02:44 PM
RCF100
Driver

Originally Posted by DrRick
or introduce more with poor washing technique...

i never let dealerships wash or detail any of my cars, anymore. after all the work that i put by correcting the paint and sealing it, to have it come back with swirls because they washed it with dirty rags just isnt worth it.

to the OP, i hope they take care of you. i know its frustrating but try to be patient. but being a black car, definitely get some type of ceramic coating on that thing, asap. it will save you lots of heartache down the road...
^^^ Also possible lol.. I have shown that I am extremely **** with how I want to care cared for, so I don't think they would have wasted their time talking up their one detailer if they knew I would just come back and complain more. I haven't corrected anything yet, it was going to be a pretty expensive job and instead was recommended to go back to the dealer and have them correct it. Looked over a couple of black vehicles in their showroom which looked fantastic, so I have trust in this guy haha.

I was thinking of ordering ceramic pro and coating the car myself, I assume it's not too difficult?
Old 01-30-17, 03:19 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

The selling Lexus should make it right for you.

They should not have left all that white plastic cover with glue on the new car for that long.

As a last resort, read the following (but time is of the essence):

https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/u...ur-rights.html
​​

Originally Posted by RCF100
Hey everyone,
I've been following the forum for a while now, I finally purchased the RCF I had been looking at and got it home.
It's a 2016 Obsidian black, leftover at dealer with only 15 miles when I saw it first.
I didn't want to dealer touching/cleaning the car so I requested for them not to handle it, my plan was to bring it to a friends shop who works on very high end cars (million dollar type cars) and have him handle the removing of plastic and cleaning. So I picked up the car, drove right home, then the next day drove to my friends shop.

When I got to him, we started taking the wrapping off and instantly noticed the paint that was exposed to the sun had oxidized. Additionally, the paint under the plastic had a lot of residue glue that wouldn't come off, along with some swirls/scratches (this is under the plastic). The other parts of the paint were terribly dirty (car was clearly left outside the entire time) and filled with lots of swirls. Caring for this paint went from being a fairly cheap $200-300 job to now a $700-800 job to fix all of this. So I called the dealer while still at my friends business and went over everything. They told me to bring the car in the next morning to talk. They told me one of their detailing has been there for 20-25 years and handles all of the black cars, he is apparently quite talented. Various people at the dealer mentioned his name specifically. I have an appointment to go in Thursday with the car.

The other bad news is that, while looking over the car for things to point out to him, we also found a couple scratches on the drivers side door, not just swirls, these are descent scratches. Clearly from someone leaning on it at the dealer or walking by and hitting it or something. I will attach pictures. I would like to ask for everyone's opinion on this damage. What should I request be done? How should the dealer handle the situation?

Sadly, this has taken an exciting situation/moment are put a pretty major damper on it all, hopefully it will all work out and it isn't spoiled.

Old 01-30-17, 03:34 PM
RCF100
Driver

Originally Posted by lexusrus
The selling Lexus should make it right for you.

They should not have left all that white plastic cover with glue on the new car for that long.

As a last resort, read the following (but time is of the essence):

https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/u...ur-rights.html
​​
I agree, they have a great rating online with hundreds of high reviews, so I would assume they will try to keep their customers as happy as they can to uphold their good review. I agree about the plastic as well, I don't see why that would be kept on for the year it was sitting outside. I'm confident the residue glue should be able to be taken care of without too much of an issue, it's the more major "damage" that worries me. But like you said, they should correct the issue. Would you recommend me to request buffing/compounding to try to get it out, touch of paint applied to the scratch, or a full repaint of the door? I don't want the door repainted and have it be clear that it's been repainted, that is my main concern. Also, I bought the car and plan to keep it for a while, don't want some record of "re-paint" coming up and have the person think I was in an accident.

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
Ricardorc (01-30-17)
Old 01-30-17, 05:23 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

I will have to hope that the detail on my car will be as impressive as the one you received! Yup, I'm sure the swirl marks and minor marks are all from their occasional machine wash they give. Again, not an issue as mostly every one of them should be able to be removed by a good detailer.
Hopefully they can get those few bad scratches out, if not, I will have to request either touch up or repaint for that door. I would very much like to avoid re-paint for the whole door though. Don't want issues with selling the car in the future.

I agree, I am fairly young and this has been my first "luxury car" purchase. In the future I will approach it a bit differently to protect myself.
The weekly wash on dealer inventory is not with machine, but by a minimum wage guy that spray wash spot clean. That's where the bleminishes come from.
Old 01-30-17, 05:43 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Make sure you get assurance from them in writing that none of the "work" they are about to do will EVER show up in CarFax or AutoCheck as this will greatly diminish the resell value of the car. So basically if they have a body shop or if they send the car to one of their buddy body shops it will be "internal". But your car is BLACK in color which is very touchy.

Incidentally "a friend of mine" who took delivery of a brand new LX 570 a few years ago found out a month or so later when washing the big SUV that the luggage rails had some damaged on the "side that faces inside" that is only visible if you get a ladder and look from top down and the "inside" side of the rooftop rails. The damage was not really by anything hitting or rubbing on it (I don't think BC the material is still very smooth without any nicks or indentations. I think it was a painting defect at the factory that somehow escaped scrutiny).

Long story short...... The selling Lexus dealership took care of the problem without any fuss and actually apologized. It was an ordeal for them to get the roof rails off to replace them on both sides BC they had to take the entire inside ceiling liner out to get to the bolts holding down the roof rails. I personally saw the big clean area they had set aside just to work on this mess. In the end they made it ALL GOOD.

I think if you approach them nicely, kindly, and in a nonthreatening way, they should work with you to make it right.

Good luck.

I agree, they have a great rating online with hundreds of high reviews, so I would assume they will try to keep their customers as happy as they can to uphold their good review. I agree about the plastic as well, I don't see why that would be kept on for the year it was sitting outside. I'm confident the residue glue should be able to be taken care of without too much of an issue, it's the more major "damage" that worries me. But like you said, they should correct the issue. Would you recommend me to request buffing/compounding to try to get it out, touch of paint applied to the scratch, or a full repaint of the door? I don't want the door repainted and have it be clear that it's been repainted, that is my main concern. Also, I bought the car and plan to keep it for a while, don't want some record of "re-paint" coming up and have the person think I was in an accident.

Thanks!
Old 01-30-17, 06:29 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey everyone,

Hey, Congrats on the new car. Sorry to read of your troubles, those pictures dont look too bad. hopefully some good rubbing compound can get that out. I see you are in New York as well. Would you mind sharing where you bought your car from? I purchased a GSF recently and my car too was loaded with swirls. Had my guy do a full paint correction, Xpel clear bra and ceramic pro. I highly recommend ceramic pro for you car especially since its black. My is Ultrasonic blue and everything shows up as well. Car is much easier to maintain with the coating.

Also If you need a guy, which i see you already have. I recommend Sanford Auto Spa in Merrick, NY he did a phenomenal job on my car. Just thought id mention him in the event you may be using him as well, since you mentioned he works on high end cars. This guy does to.
Old 01-30-17, 06:56 PM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 174 Likes on 95 Posts

RCF's have a self correcting paint...those deep scratched won't fix themselves, but the swirls may. Park it out in the sun so the paint will warm up. This is stated in your owners manual. Enjoy your new car =)

Quick Reply: Issue with my new RCF