LED Bulbs Replacement Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-17, 01:10 PM
JJSoCrazy
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default LED Bulbs Replacement Question

Hey Guys,

I've done some minor cosmetic mods and had a few questions about the LED replacements. I replaced the trunk bulb, both passenger and driver side floor lighting, and vanity mirrors. If I am not mistaken the dome light for the front and back, door puddle lights, as well as the map lights, are already LED on the 2016. However my question is has anyone replaced these with LED's? I am afraid of ruining something with the dome and map lights since they are touch sensitive.

Please advise and thanks in advanced!

Joe
Old 01-12-17, 01:16 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

in my 2015 the door lights at the lower edge of the door are halogen, I replaced them with LED, same bulb as the trunk, and foot well. Also the vanity (above visor) lights are halogen bulbs.

I used this kit:
http://www.ledpartsnow.com/15upRC/

map lights, dome lights, and puddle lights (those under the outside mirror) are already LED.. no need to fuss with them.
The following 2 users liked this post by mjeds:
AlexAviles (09-10-20), JJSoCrazy (01-12-17)
Old 01-12-17, 04:13 PM
JJSoCrazy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mjeds
in my 2015 the door lights at the lower edge of the door are halogen, I replaced them with LED, same bulb as the trunk, and foot well. Also the vanity (above visor) lights are halogen bulbs.

I used this kit:
http://www.ledpartsnow.com/15upRC/

map lights, dome lights, and puddle lights (those under the outside mirror) are already LED.. no need to fuss with them.
I am not sure if they changed it for 2016 but it looks like my door lights are already LED?
Old 01-12-17, 05:02 PM
BossMoss
Pole Position

Received 129 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by JJSoCrazy
I am not sure if they changed it for 2016 but it looks like my door lights are already LED?
The lights on the edge of my doors are LED (I have a 2016). The covers come off easily to check. I replaced the incandescent vanity mirror lights, footwell lights, trunk, and reverse lights with LED. I'm waiting on the VLED resistors to replace my rear turn signals. I searched for the blinker to replace instead, but couldn't find it without taking apart the dash. Maybe someone else has done this though.
The following users liked this post:
raerae1616 (01-12-17)
Old 01-12-17, 05:10 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BossMoss
The lights on the edge of my doors are LED (I have a 2016). The covers come off easily to check. I replaced the incandescent vanity mirror lights, footwell lights, trunk, and reverse lights with LED. I'm waiting on the VLED resistors to replace my rear turn signals. I searched for the blinker to replace instead, but couldn't find it without taking apart the dash. Maybe someone else has done this though.
the blinker? as in the blinker relay?

there isn't one, it is controlled through the dash computer. They haven't put blinker relay's in cars since about 2005
Old 01-12-17, 05:12 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JJSoCrazy
check the owners manual, it will tell you which bulb number it is, or if it is a non-replicable LED. it's called the door courtesy light

for my 2015 it is a 168/194 bulb.
Old 01-12-17, 05:13 PM
BossMoss
Pole Position

the blinker? as in the blinker relay?

there isn't one, it is controlled through the dash computer. They haven't put blinker relay's in cars since about 2005
That explains why I couldn't find it, LOL!
Old 01-12-17, 05:15 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

That explains why I couldn't find it, LOL!
find a no error or can bus compatible LED for the turn signals. the resisters are a cheap way of doing things and they have been known to over heat and catch fire.

you want something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-7443-LED-...-/371801981813

this is a circuit board not a heat resister, it cures the fast flash. you want it so say DECODER, not resister.

you don't want these, I've seen these catch fire:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-50W-6-oh...dXtfUi&vxp=mtr

Last edited by mjeds; 01-12-17 at 05:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mjeds:
BossMoss (01-12-17), raerae1616 (01-12-17)
Old 01-12-17, 05:19 PM
BossMoss
Pole Position

find a no error or can bus compatible LED for the turn signals. the resisters are a cheap way of doing things and they have been known to over heat and catch fire.

I have CanBUS LED signal lights for the RC-F, but I still get hyperflash. So, I have ordered the resistors and will try that next. VLEDS makes a low profile one that is also supposed to be a bit lower on the heat. I am aware that they get mighty hot though - I have them in my Tundra.
Old 01-12-17, 05:21 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

I have CanBUS LED signal lights for the RC-F, but I still get hyperflash. So, I have ordered the resistors and will try that next. VLEDS makes a low profile one that is also supposed to be a bit lower on the heat. I am aware that they get mighty hot though - I have them in my Tundra.
updated my post above.
BossMoss (01-12-17)
Old 01-12-17, 07:36 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

you want something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-7443-LED-...-/371801981813

this is a circuit board not a heat resister, it cures the fast flash. you want it so say DECODER, not resister.

you don't want these, I've seen these catch fire:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-50W-6-oh...dXtfUi&vxp=mtr
I can GUARANTEE you there's a clause somewhere in your 20 page insurance contract that says it DOESN'T cover that if it catches on Fire!
Old 01-12-17, 10:26 PM
raerae1616
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Regarding interior LED Bulb replacements.... I found another poster linked to a great deal on Ebay for a 9pc kit (though only 7pc's are needed). The original post was on the Sticky thread walktrhough of how to update them all... and for the price I couldn't pass up trying them out. The Lumen ratings and design are very similar to those at Superbrightleds.com, but the price is significantly lower:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/9x-White-LED-Lights-Interior-Package-for-2015-2016-LEXUS-RC-F-RC-350-F-TOOL-/181863055314?hash=item2a57e1ffd2:g:3zEAAOSw6n5Xtz5J&vxp=mtr

Regarding turn signals and reverse lights . . . .I'm researching this also myself, as there have been many posts where folks have said they successfully (hopefuly safely) swapped their turn signal and reverse lights, but no real instructions/guidance for the RC-F . . . too bad there's not a good walkthrough stickied.

Some questions that I've found are not clearly answered yet through this forum (and others):
  1. Are separate resistors better than newer bulbs with integrated resistors?
  2. If so then will the resistors fit behind the rear lights of the RC-F?
  3. If integrated resistor bulbs are fine then will they fit and look good in the light housing (seems like this is by far the simplist way to go)? It seems that bulb lenght/size is one of the issues related to these new integrated resistor bulbs...
  4. I've read conflicting information on whether CANBus compliant lights fix hyperflash, but recent research seems to point out that they are actually 2 different things; CANBus relating to error messages from the computer vs resistors relating to the overall resistance (e.g. wattage/power draw) needed to eliminate hyperflash issues
I may do a walkthrough once I sort this all out, but I'm still in research phase.... I'm no strager to electrical mods, but also am in the beginning stages of learning how to safely swap halogen bulbs for LED's on exterior lights.

Any info. or links to walkthrough's info. on other sites would be most useful . . .

Last edited by raerae1616; 01-12-17 at 10:31 PM.
siredward (01-13-17)
Old 01-13-17, 07:27 AM
JJSoCrazy
Driver School Candidate

Forgot to mention I have replaced my backup bulbs with LED's as well and I did all the same exact bulbs for my 2016 so I wanted to make sure that I replaced everything possible to LED since I hate the halogens.

As per the signal bulbs, I read in another thread that it requires much more work so I rather avoid any issues and not do it.
Old 01-13-17, 09:01 AM
BossMoss
Pole Position

Originally Posted by raerae1616
Regarding interior LED Bulb replacements.... I found another poster linked to a great deal on Ebay for a 9pc kit (though only 7pc's are needed). The original post was on the Sticky thread walktrhough of how to update them all... and for the price I couldn't pass up trying them out. The Lumen ratings and design are very similar to those at Superbrightleds.com, but the price is significantly lower:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/9x-White-LED-Lights-Interior-Package-for-2015-2016-LEXUS-RC-F-RC-350-F-TOOL-/181863055314?hash=item2a57e1ffd2:g:3zEAAOSw6n5Xtz5J&vxp=mtr

Regarding turn signals and reverse lights . . . .I'm researching this also myself, as there have been many posts where folks have said they successfully (hopefuly safely) swapped their turn signal and reverse lights, but no real instructions/guidance for the RC-F . . . too bad there's not a good walkthrough stickied.

Some questions that I've found are not clearly answered yet through this forum (and others):
  1. Are separate resistors better than newer bulbs with integrated resistors?
  2. If so then will the resistors fit behind the rear lights of the RC-F?
  3. If integrated resistor bulbs are fine then will they fit and look good in the light housing (seems like this is by far the simplist way to go)? It seems that bulb lenght/size is one of the issues related to these new integrated resistor bulbs...
  4. I've read conflicting information on whether CANBus compliant lights fix hyperflash, but recent research seems to point out that they are actually 2 different things; CANBus relating to error messages from the computer vs resistors relating to the overall resistance (e.g. wattage/power draw) needed to eliminate hyperflash issues
I may do a walkthrough once I sort this all out, but I'm still in research phase.... I'm no strager to electrical mods, but also am in the beginning stages of learning how to safely swap halogen bulbs for LED's on exterior lights.

Any info. or links to walkthrough's info. on other sites would be most useful . . .
Swapping the reverse lights is a piece of cake. Swapping the rear turn signals is easy as well - but I got CanBUS bulbs and still get hyperflash (no dash error message though). There is plenty of room for longer bulbs - though I have no knowledge of integrated resistors. I would be worried about putting that heat in the actual light housing though. I'll post an update next weeks after I make an attempt to install my resistors.
Old 04-02-17, 08:37 AM
siredward
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I appreciate this thread and ordered the JDM Autohaus set earlier this year. Just installed them this weekend and it went well. The passenger footwell was a pain, and the driver side an even bigger one, but I got it done.

I did add a few reflectors on some of them as much of the light is just hitting a dark plastic cover in the back. Used some aluminum foil and taped it down.

This is the one I bought:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181863055314?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Quick Reply: LED Bulbs Replacement Question