RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

That ain't gonna buff out - totaled or not, what cha think?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-16, 02:29 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default That ain't gonna buff out - totaled or not, what cha think?

Lol, this one better be a total. The engine compartment is a mess. Airbags went off in both seats, the head liner is trashed, steering wheel is toast and below the steering wheel went off also.
Attached Thumbnails That ain't gonna buff out - totaled or not, what cha think?-unnamed-8.jpg   That ain't gonna buff out - totaled or not, what cha think?-unnamed-6.jpg   That ain't gonna buff out - totaled or not, what cha think?-unnamed-3.jpg   That ain't gonna buff out - totaled or not, what cha think?-unnamed-4.jpg   That ain't gonna buff out - totaled or not, what cha think?-unnamed-12.jpg  

That ain't gonna buff out - totaled or not, what cha think?-unnamed-2.jpg   That ain't gonna buff out - totaled or not, what cha think?-unnamed-5.jpg   That ain't gonna buff out - totaled or not, what cha think?-unnamed-9.jpg   That ain't gonna buff out - totaled or not, what cha think?-unnamed-7.jpg   That ain't gonna buff out - totaled or not, what cha think?-unnamed-1.jpg  

Old 12-10-16, 02:38 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

^^^^WOW - what the heck happened You OK

Lou
The following users liked this post:
DougHII (12-11-16)
Old 12-10-16, 02:45 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^WOW - what the heck happened You OK

Lou
Yep, CT scans and x-rays all negative. Rear ended an Infinity M30 I think it was. I have to give props to Lexus for the safety factor. It was a heck of an impact and I came out good. Not sure what is next on the list, but I have been 100% satisfied with this car since day one and it protected me in the wreck.
The following 3 users liked this post by DougHII:
corradoMR2 (12-11-16), IMCHIA (12-10-16), NemesisUK (12-10-16)
Old 12-10-16, 02:55 PM
rjmalm
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DougHII
Yep, CT scans and x-rays all negative.
Glad you are ok!!!
DougHII (12-11-16)
Old 12-10-16, 03:28 PM
Kramer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts

Ouch.....car can be replaced....you cannot....glad you are okay!
DougHII (12-11-16)
Old 12-10-16, 05:21 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Damn. How fast was the impact? Picture of the Infiniti rear?

I know you were ok when the thread started with "lol", lol
DougHII (12-11-16)
Old 12-10-16, 06:34 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

totaled...
Old 12-11-16, 04:49 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Yep, CT scans and x-rays all negative. Rear ended an Infinity M30 I think it was. I have to give props to Lexus for the safety factor. It was a heck of an impact and I came out good. Not sure what is next on the list, but I have been 100% satisfied with this car since day one and it protected me in the wreck.
Originally Posted by Kramer
+1

Life above all else is what matters. Car is an object. Glad the RC F got you out in one piece and all the criticism about its porky weight surely can be argued is a benefit in a collision.
DougHII (12-11-16)
Old 12-11-16, 06:46 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ssmoked
Damn. How fast was the impact? Picture of the Infiniti rear?

I know you were ok when the thread started with "lol", lol
I said M30 because what the policy report said, but it was more like a SUV or larger crossover type vehicle. I was pretty dazed and did not really examine either vehicle at the time, but I recall looking at it thinking there was much less or hardly any damage to the other vehicle.

The other bumper clearly went above my bumper, through the grill, radiator and into the engine.

No idea on the speed. Was on the interstate, but perhaps going 40 ish if I had to guess.
Old 12-11-16, 10:19 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Toast.

Glad you are ok.
DougHII (12-11-16)
Old 12-11-16, 11:36 AM
boostedGS
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Kramer
+1. This car is definitely safe and solid! Glad you're not injured.
Old 12-11-16, 01:11 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Good to hear you are ok.

From your pics it looks like the so called small over lap frontAL crash on the RCF really provided excellent protection as evidenced by the RC's design by the Lexus engineers. There was a pic I saw at one of the international auto shows when the RCF first was introduced detailing the view from beneath the car showing the added bracing on the driver's side to effectively protect the driver specifically designed to "WIN" the small overlap crash test. I did not see similar bracing on the passenger side.

Last year a coworker was rear ended while stopped at a red light by a full sized RAM pickup truck at highway speed, 65++mph. She was in a 2014 Infinity Q60 (similar size as the RX350, maybe a little bit larger since it has third row seats.)

I saw the photos, her SUV rear end was totally smashed and so was the entire passenger side doors as the RAM pickup truck veered off to the passenger side and the force of impact continued to push her Q60 SUV down the road into the middle of the intersection. Luckily there were no secondary impacts from other vehicles. All of her air bags went off. She was able to get out and walk around without any problems. Still was taken to the hospital and all CT'scan negative and discharged from the hospital a few hours later.

Her Q60 was totalled. She looked at the Lexus RX350 but the local Lexus dealer was not willing to deal. The Infinity dealer where she got her original Q60 from gave her a deal and she picked up a new 2016 Q60. Incidentally just one year before she was driving around in a much smaller SUV by Infiniti (I remembered it as the "EX" model). She sure was happy that she went to the bigger Q60 model. Still one can not escape from laws of physics where size and weight matters.

I said M30 because what the policy report said, but it was more like a SUV or larger crossover type vehicle. I was pretty dazed and did not really examine either vehicle at the time, but I recall looking at it thinking there was much less or hardly any damage to the other vehicle.

The other bumper clearly went above my bumper, through the grill, radiator and into the engine.

No idea on the speed. Was on the interstate, but perhaps going 40 ish if I had to guess.

Last edited by lexusrus; 12-11-16 at 01:21 PM.
DougHII (12-11-16)
Old 12-11-16, 01:38 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

WOW, glad you're ok buddy! What was you doing, texting or on the phone with one of your clients? You know a lawsuit is coming next, especially since they got rear ended by a Lexus! Hate to see your car like this but at least you're still good to go
The following 2 users liked this post by johnnyreb:
DougHII (12-11-16), TitanG545 (12-13-16)
Old 12-11-16, 01:53 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
WOW, glad you're ok buddy! What was you doing, texting or on the phone with one of your clients? You know a lawsuit is coming next, especially since they got rear ended by a Lexus! Hate to see your car like this but at least you're still good to go
There will be no lawsuit if he has good coverage, even if he totaled the other car (which didnt seem like) or injured the other driver. The insurance company will just settle (if the other driver had injury) for any future claim. Now if someone was killed, yes they could attempt to sue if they think you have deep pocket. Case in point Caitlyn/Bruce Jenner accident that killed an old lady in Lexus LS.

When someone tells me how cheap their insurance policy is (most likely bare coverage), I laugh and hope they are never at fault. Especially if they have substantial assets

Lets not forget DOUGHII is also a lawyer
Old 12-11-16, 02:52 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

My car just became a little bit more exclusive.

Only 40 mph?! I can show you some pics from one of my 350Zs that don't look nearly this bad and that was from a wipeout that happened at ~150 mph. (it was totalled btw)

Glad you are okay though...
DougHII (12-11-16)

Quick Reply: That ain't gonna buff out - totaled or not, what cha think?