RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

That ain't gonna buff out - totaled or not, what cha think?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-16, 03:56 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

SOP, I was going 40 mph or less. LOL.

But if one pulled the BLACKBOX /ECU one can trace the speed right up to the point of impact aND plot all dAta points on a graph.

Oh, btw, the ECU got damaged during the impact. BIG MAGNET ANYONE, LOL.

Happy to hear nobody was hurt.

Stay safe.

Originally Posted by Davew77
My car just became a little bit more exclusive.

Only 40 mph?! I can show you some pics from one of my 350Zs that don't look nearly this bad and that was from a wipeout that happened at ~150 mph. (it was totalled btw)

Glad you are okay though...
Old 12-11-16, 05:02 PM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by DougHII
I said M30 because what the policy report said, but it was more like a SUV or larger crossover type vehicle. I was pretty dazed and did not really examine either vehicle at the time, but I recall looking at it thinking there was much less or hardly any damage to the other vehicle.

The other bumper clearly went above my bumper, through the grill, radiator and into the engine.

No idea on the speed. Was on the interstate, but perhaps going 40 ish if I had to guess.
The M30 was a mid sized sedan. The only SUV from Infiniti that could do that to a 4000 lb RCF and sustain minimal damage is the QX80. Glad you were able to walk away from this. Good luck
The following users liked this post:
DougHII (12-11-16)
Old 12-11-16, 06:49 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Maybe a QX60 SUV?

Originally Posted by Deanrcf
The M30 was a mid sized sedan. The only SUV from Infiniti that could do that to a 4000 lb RCF and sustain minimal damage is the QX80. Glad you were able to walk away from this. Good luck
Old 12-11-16, 07:32 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
WOW, glad you're ok buddy! What was you doing, texting or on the phone with one of your clients? You know a lawsuit is coming next, especially since they got rear ended by a Lexus! Hate to see your car like this but at least you're still good to go
Guilty. Just got back from Maui and was blasting emails about my support staff messing up stuff while gone. So ridiculous, like it could not wait 10 or 15 more minutes until I got to the office. Some lessons are learned the hard way and thank goodness my irresponsibility did not hurt someone else.

There was 4 guys in the SUV I hit. They all seemed totally fine and there was very little damage to the rear of their SUV. My car looked bad because the impact literally went over the bumper and smeared the grill into the engine. The front air bag rung my head pretty well, but all and all I was extremely lucky.

I am sure those guys will claim whiplash as the officer noted it in their reports, but they all declined transport to the hospital and seemed more worried about me. Lol, I was bad advocate for myself as I told them and the cops what happened and what I was doing and just apologized profusely.

I can say without a doubt, my wife and I loved the RCF and really miss it when we pull into the garage. Thinking I am going back to 911 as my daily though, especially since I can't locate another Molten Pearl at the moment . . . Porsche is where my heart is, but without a doubt the RCF is every bit as good as a 911 as a fun daily driver. If I can locate another Molten at a good deal . . . I may . . ., but looking at and calling about 911s today and yesterday.
Old 12-11-16, 07:36 PM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Maybe a QX60 SUV?
considered that. I'm not sure the qx60's rear sits that high. Idk
Old 12-11-16, 07:36 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ssmoked
There will be no lawsuit if he has good coverage, even if he totaled the other car (which didnt seem like) or injured the other driver. The insurance company will just settle (if the other driver had injury) for any future claim. Now if someone was killed, yes they could attempt to sue if they think you have deep pocket. Case in point Caitlyn/Bruce Jenner accident that killed an old lady in Lexus LS.

When someone tells me how cheap their insurance policy is (most likely bare coverage), I laugh and hope they are never at fault. Especially if they have substantial assets

Lets not forget DOUGHII is also a lawyer
Lol, I did the cardinal sin as a client and told everyone straight up including the cop that I was looking at work emails on my phone . . . Not that it would have made a difference in liability, but I am a super bad client. I think everyone was okay, but if I get sued, I get sued and that is what insurance is for. I am just really, really glad no one was seriously hurt and thank god my 5 year old was not with me.
Old 12-11-16, 07:44 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Deanrcf
considered that. I'm not sure the qx60's rear sits that high. Idk
I honestly did not recognize what I hit, but I was pretty dazed. The police report said M30 I think. My bumper definitely went under his bumper.
Attached Thumbnails That ain't gonna buff out - totaled or not, what cha think?-unnamed-14.jpg   That ain't gonna buff out - totaled or not, what cha think?-unnamed-13.jpg  
Old 12-11-16, 08:16 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

The folks you hit declined going to the hospital which will be their own fault.

Just happy to hear you and your wife are ok.

Originally Posted by DougHII
Guilty. Just got back from Maui and was blasting emails about my support staff messing up stuff while gone. So ridiculous, like it could not wait 10 or 15 more minutes until I got to the office. Some lessons are learned the hard way and thank goodness my irresponsibility did not hurt someone else.

There was 4 guys in the SUV I hit. They all seemed totally fine and there was very little damage to the rear of their SUV. My car looked bad because the impact literally went over the bumper and smeared the grill into the engine. The front air bag rung my head pretty well, but all and all I was extremely lucky.

I am sure those guys will claim whiplash as the officer noted it in their reports, but they all declined transport to the hospital and seemed more worried about me. Lol, I was bad advocate for myself as I told them and the cops what happened and what I was doing and just apologized profusely.

I can say without a doubt, my wife and I loved the RCF and really miss it when we pull into the garage. Thinking I am going back to 911 as my daily though, especially since I can't locate another Molten Pearl at the moment . . . Porsche is where my heart is, but without a doubt the RCF is every bit as good as a 911 as a fun daily driver. If I can locate another Molten at a good deal . . . I may . . ., but looking at and calling about 911s today and yesterday.
Old 12-12-16, 09:14 AM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Glad you're OK. Maybe it's time for the LC 500
Old 12-12-16, 09:36 AM
LDEUX
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yikes man, like everyone else I'm glad you're ok. I can see 40 mph doing this, people forget that the frame is where the strength is at. Everything else around it isn't intended to stop or lessen an impact, especially a 40 mph impact from a 2 ton object!

It's more than likely totaled, what we can't see is possible damage to the frame, the rear axle and differential.
DougHII (12-13-16)
Old 12-12-16, 09:42 AM
BigRick82
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you're okay. There was a Molten '16 Heavy Loaded for sale in Ohio w 8500 miles for 59xxx. Another Clean one in Dallas for 55k, '15 Loaded.

Would you want to sell the missing headlight that flew off during impact?
DougHII (12-13-16)
Old 12-12-16, 01:40 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RCF500
Glad you're OK. Maybe it's time for the LC 500
I was told it is not going to be out until at least mid 2017. Is that correct? Too long for me to wait if so.
Old 12-12-16, 02:59 PM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 90 Posts

Really really glad you're ok buddy!!!
DougHII (12-13-16)
Old 12-13-16, 06:12 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Sorry to see this, but glad no one was hurt and the RC F did it's job in protecting you..
DougHII (12-13-16)
Old 12-13-16, 06:37 AM
TitanG545
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
There will be no lawsuit if he has good coverage, even if he totaled the other car (which didnt seem like) or injured the other driver. The insurance company will just settle (if the other driver had injury) for any future claim. Now if someone was killed, yes they could attempt to sue if they think you have deep pocket. Case in point Caitlyn/Bruce Jenner accident that killed an old lady in Lexus LS.

When someone tells me how cheap their insurance policy is (most likely bare coverage), I laugh and hope they are never at fault. Especially if they have substantial assets

Lets not forget DOUGHII is also a lawyer
Actually that is incorrect the other driver can still sue for "pain and anguish". Injuries from high school are all of a sudden about to pop up and the person can't work anymore. First hand knowledge here, two accidents in two years neither my fault. First one severe tore rotator cuff and totaled car, second one minor fender bender under 25mph. The first accident where my S5 was totaled, the guys policy didn't have enough to cover the totaled "cars." So my insurance USAA had to cover the difference to pay off my car, brand new 2014 S5. Second accident lady side swipes me and both vehicles have decent damage, because of where the impact happened my Tundra wasn't driveable. She then turns around and sued me for $600K, higher than my policy limits. Hopefully a lawsuit isn't forthcoming, but be prepared in case one is. Since then I installed a dashcam in my Tundra and looking to get a second one for my SC400. These are the times we live in, always protect yourself.

Quick Reply: That ain't gonna buff out - totaled or not, what cha think?