ghoffner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roadtrip Prep for West Texas/South NM

Big Bend plans
Quick stop outside of Ozona, TX
About 15 miles before Fort Stockton, TX
This was just before Sonora, TX
EDIT: to add pictures- I'll be heading throughout Big Bend National Park tomorrow and will post pics after.

So I am toying with the idea of doing a little roadtrip in the RCF next week over Thanksgiving. I live in Houston and will not be heading back home for the holidays, so I figure why not?

I like the idea of heading out past Austin through Texas Hill Country for a day, then off to Big Bend National Park for a day, then up to the White Sands National Monument in New Mexico...not sure where to go after that. Does anybody recommend any other awesome sites in West Texas or Southern New Mexico? I thought about heading up to Albuquerque but I'm not sure. Ideas are welcome.

Also, the idea of driving around these areas, by myself and without a spare tire, kind of scares me. Does anybody have any ideas about what I could possibly do or what I should bring with as far as tire patch kit/pump or other? Obviously I have complete confidence in the car, I just worry about a random flat in the middle of nowhere...

Last edited by ghoffner; 11-25-16 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Adding pictures
Old 11-19-16, 05:12 PM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

That what's up I and the other RCF and ISF guys in Houston haven't seen you on the forum or in Houston you should joins us some time.

But anywho I highly recommend clear bra o the full front, rockers, and rear behind wheels. I have driven in Houston all my life and will look like a shotgun sprayed it if you don't protect. I have only driven 5K miles and can see many places where the clear bra saved me down low in the front and behind the front wheel son the rockers.
Also I have polished and coated vehicle with CQUARTZ to help repel any contaminants.

For long hauls as I make runs to OK myself for the wifes family I would tape the front end. Looks silly but save you from bugs and damage as well as the mirrors.

I went to my local lexus dealer who I have dealt wih for over 8 years and actually bought a "damaged" scuffed RCF rim for a spare, and got a used tire along with. NEVER go without a spare on a road trip, proper race jack and wrench IMO. Get stuck out on those roads at night or day and could put yourself in a bad situation.

Hope that helps! ALSO GET AAA!! It has saved me 3 times last two months on trip to OK when tire blew on wifes lexus, stay in dallas an extra 3 nights waiting on tires bc no one open until Monday, extended vacation and AAA covers hotel and eating expenses if 150 or 200 miles away from home.. very worth the 150 a year. One tow alone saves you.
Old 11-19-16, 06:07 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffner
So I am toying with the idea of doing a little roadtrip in the RCF next week over Thanksgiving. I live in Houston and will not be heading back home for the holidays, so I figure why not?

I like the idea of heading out past Austin.

Also, the idea of driving around these areas, by myself and without a spare tire, kind of scares me. Does anybody have any ideas about what I could possibly do or what I should bring with as far as tire patch kit/pump or other? Obviously I have complete confidence in the car, I just worry about a random flat in the middle of nowhere...
I like stealth's idea for a spare.

I was right smack in the middle between Houston and Austin during my last gig. Seeing you mention both is what prompted me to post. I was doing some work in the shale industry before it went south (I contract in many industries). I didn't know you had tornados there...

(in my RX350)

Originally Posted by StealthFF
I went to my local lexus dealer who I have dealt wih for over 8 years and actually bought a "damaged" scuffed RCF rim for a spare, and got a used tire along with. NEVER go without a spare on a road trip, proper race jack and wrench IMO. Get stuck out on those roads at night or day and could put yourself in a bad situation.
That's good idea! If I ever think I might need a spare I'll throw one of my OEM rims in the trunk. I plan to keep them after I get my Volks so that I can throw them on in the winter (I'll keep all seasons on them) and also when I sell the car I'll be putting them back on.
Attached Thumbnails Roadtrip Prep for West Texas/South NM-fb_img_1479606846707.jpg  

Last edited by Davew77; 11-21-16 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Pic wasn't showing
Old 11-21-16, 06:56 AM
ghoffner
Driver

Originally Posted by StealthFF
That what's up I and the other RCF and ISF guys in Houston haven't seen you on the forum or in Houston you should joins us some time.

But anywho I highly recommend clear bra o the full front, rockers, and rear behind wheels. I have driven in Houston all my life and will look like a shotgun sprayed it if you don't protect. I have only driven 5K miles and can see many places where the clear bra saved me down low in the front and behind the front wheel son the rockers.
Also I have polished and coated vehicle with CQUARTZ to help repel any contaminants.

For long hauls as I make runs to OK myself for the wifes family I would tape the front end. Looks silly but save you from bugs and damage as well as the mirrors.

Hope that helps! ALSO GET AAA!! It has saved me 3 times last two months on trip to OK when tire blew on wifes lexus, stay in dallas an extra 3 nights waiting on tires bc no one open until Monday, extended vacation and AAA covers hotel and eating expenses if 150 or 200 miles away from home.. very worth the 150 a year. One tow alone saves you.
Mind sharing what dealer you went to? I called Northside, Sterling McCall and Westside...they all said they don't have anything.
Old 11-21-16, 10:24 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffner
Mind sharing what dealer you went to? I called Northside, Sterling McCall and Westside...they all said they don't have anything.
I'd like to know this also! Mind Sharing (WHY does Nobody EVER mention the Dealerships)? Thank You
Old 11-25-16, 03:11 PM
ghoffner
Driver

Road trip was a success. Highly recommend visiting Big Bend if anyone ever has the opportunity. Hard to put into words how incredible this place is.