Search this Thread

Old 11-11-16, 04:08 PM
tdhkyk481
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket exhaust

Hi everyone! I m new to this forums
i m owning an 15 rcf
i m thinking to get a aftermarket exhaust . The price is not really matter,but i wanna have some loud popping sound when i downshift like jarguar f type . Do u guys have any suggestion. Thank youn
Old 11-11-16, 04:16 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by tdhkyk481
Hi everyone! I m new to this forums
i m owning an 15 rcf
i m thinking to get a aftermarket exhaust . The price is not really matter,but i wanna have some loud popping sound when i downshift like jarguar f type . Do u guys have any suggestion. Thank youn
YouTube Borla
Old 11-11-16, 11:08 PM
IMCHIA
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Definitely the Borla. I get all sorts of pops and crackles.
I'll make a video in the near future.
Old 11-12-16, 03:54 AM
JT2MA71

Received 1,512 Likes on 656 Posts

I get pops and crackles with the meisty ti exhaust.
Old 11-12-16, 05:25 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Welcome to CL and congrats on your F!

If you want to go cheap and try it, do a res delete. You won't get as many or as loud of pops/crackle as you do on an F-Type or the Meisterschaft exhaust above, but you get some pops on cold startup and while driving hard in the lower gears and still retain some level of refined Lexus V8 exhaust sound (IMO).

Several have done it including myself and no regrets though videos don't fully capture the pops in this thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...ml#post9451055
Old 11-12-16, 12:14 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

For sure, just do a resonator delete. Sounds about the same as a $3k exhaust and there is not going to be any noticeable power difference. Candidly, I have only heard one RC F aftermarket exhaust that sounded decent to me and that was the Novel system. The Novel sounds like a sports car. The rest sound like cheap class packs.
Old 11-12-16, 01:58 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm reluctant to mess with my exhaust. I like that it howls when I want it to, but then it's quiet when I want to cruise. Having an exhaust that rumbles loudly at idle and low rpm would kill the luxury aspect of the RC F to me. The luxury aspect was one of the major selling points. If I were only looking for performance there are better options in the price range. If I ever change my exhaust I want to keep those characteristics.
Old 11-12-16, 02:37 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Davew77
I'm reluctant to mess with my exhaust. I like that it howls when I want it to, but then it's quiet when I want to cruise. Having an exhaust that rumbles loudly at idle and low rpm would kill the luxury aspect of the RC F to me. The luxury aspect was one of the major selling points. If I were only looking for performance there are better options in the price range. If I ever change my exhaust I want to keep those characteristics.
having a loud quality exhaust on the highest trim model makes a positive distinguishment. Ex: F type, c63amg, e63 amg
Old 11-12-16, 02:54 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ssmoked
having a loud quality exhaust on the highest trim model makes a positive distinguishment. Ex: F type, c63amg, e63 amg
That's one opinion. I don't own a Jaguar or a AMG. I own a Lexus.

I haven't had a single person say that they thought the exhaust needed improvement. I have had a lot of people say that it sounded awesome. Lexus put a lot of work into making the exhaust work the way it does. I like it like it is.

Last edited by Davew77; 11-12-16 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-12-16, 06:07 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Davew77
That's one opinion. I don't own a Jaguar or a AMG. I own a Lexus.

I haven't had a single person say that they thought the exhaust needed improvement. I have had a lot of people say that it sounded awesome. Lexus put a lot of work into making the exhaust work the way it does. I like it like it is.
are you sure they are not hearing the fake generated noise inside the cabin? I stood outside along with my friends with high end cars and sport cars and heard the stock exhaust rev, it's not impressive at all.

Again I understand this is a Lexus, but it's not the base is250 here. It top of the line trim v8 coupe. Lexus should at least engineer some distinguished notes. Another example is Maserati, even the base ghibli has a nice tone to it
Old 11-12-16, 07:00 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ssmoked
are you sure they are not hearing the fake generated noise inside the cabin? I stood outside along with my friends with high end cars and sport cars and heard the stock exhaust rev, it's not impressive at all.

Again I understand this is a Lexus, but it's not the base is250 here. It top of the line trim v8 coupe. Lexus should at least engineer some distinguished notes. Another example is Maserati, even the base ghibli has a nice tone to it
Listen to it again when the car is actually accelerating, not when you have it parked and are revving the engine. I know it doesn't sound great when you have it parked and rev the engine. I don't care about that. I bought it to have fun with it, and to do that on a daily basis, not to sit around revving the engine. It sounds completely different when the engine is revving while under load.

One thing that Lexus did is they gave us the ability to change how loud the exhaust is based on what drive mode we select, as well as by what rpm the engine is at. If I am trying to have a phone meeting while driving my car the last thing I want is for the president of my company to struggle to hear me talk over the sound of my exhaust. Perhaps it's my potential new boss that I'm talking to, or a potential new client? There's any number of reasons why someone might want their "luxury" sports car to not be loud sometimes. If you put on a loud aftermarket exhaust you are throwing away that option.

If you are never going to need that option, then I guess it's fine for you. But you may also lose some resale value by altering the exhaust. Some people are not going to want it that loud and will not want to buy it like that. Just something else to consider. This is my daily driver. I need it to be fully functional for that role. If it were only my occasional plaything it would probably be a different story.
Old 11-13-16, 05:27 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

I've had the res delete for a week now and like it better than ever. Sounds more on par with a vette not to mention there's no drone whatsoever (which was a major factor to me).

Different notes for different folks!
Old 11-13-16, 05:32 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Even though the resonator delete sounds good, i told myself with this car, I'm not changing the sound if I'm not getting more hp/tq from it. either leave it stock or get more power if i want more sound.
Old 11-13-16, 06:11 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
Even though the resonator delete sounds good, i told myself with this car, I'm not changing the sound if I'm not getting more hp/tq from it. either leave it stock or get more power if i want more sound.
I hear you on gains, but I just don't think any of them will give you any noticeable difference in real world performance and some may potentially decrease real world performance despite touting peak increase in hp if torque suffers or area under the torque curve suffers.

Here is what a quality system should sound like in my opinion. This exhaust sounds incredible when it starts hitting upper range rpms.

​​​​​​​
Old 11-13-16, 06:37 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

But it is all subjective . . . My preference is for the high pitched flat plane crank sound and not a 1970s V8 glass pack muscle car sound. I got my resonators cut out yesterday for $130 as I do think the stock is just too quiet. Lol, my wife's Macan sounds more menacing than the stock set-up.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket exhaust