RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC-F carbon roof added after purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-16, 02:09 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts
Default RC-F carbon roof added after purchase

Can you put the CF roof on the RC-F that didn't get the option from factory?
Old 10-24-16, 02:55 PM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
Can you put the CF roof on the RC-F that didn't get the option from factory?
no.

you can have an custom autobody shop do an overlay with real carbon. I would imagine cost below $2,000

or

have a vinyl wrap place do a roof wrap in Vinyl Carbon fiber for around $400
Old 10-24-16, 02:58 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LRCSALES
no.

you can have an custom autobody shop do an overlay with real carbon. I would imagine cost below $2,000

or

have a vinyl wrap place do a roof wrap in Vinyl Carbon fiber for around $400

how would a carbon roof be replaced if ever damaged? Something about this doesn't make sense. Even the IS-F , the top roof is replaceable with moon roo.
Old 10-24-16, 04:26 PM
SmurFPwr
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes it can be done, we have had major hail storms down here in TX early this year and trust me roof replacements were happining left and right. The roof looks seamless but under that pretty paint there is a roof panel and spot welded joints. If you have a sunroof you will need the factory carbon roof, all the new supports that are designed for the CF roof since the steel roof w/ & w/o sunroof are different. If you need to delete sunroof then new headliner. Most important a really really good body shop. I'm sure roof replacement is some where around 12-15hrs. Also the cf roof is glued down not welded obviously. So you need approx 6 tubes at about $50 per tube. Also the rear windshield will probably break so budget for the replacement glass.
askme how I know... I found a good deal on a cf roof for my rcf, but couldn't justify spending that much when the cost was already 1/2 that of the factory tvd package which comes with the c/f roof and spoiler.

Last edited by SmurFPwr; 10-24-16 at 04:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Hawk10 (04-19-22)
Old 10-24-16, 04:28 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SmurFPwr
Yes it can be done, we have had major hail storms down here in TX early this year and trust me roof replacements were happining left and right. The roof looks seamless but under that pretty paint there is a roof panel and spot welded joints. If you have a sunroof you will need the factory carbon roof, all the new supports that are designed for the CF roof since the steel roof w/ & w/o sunroof are different. If you need to delete sunroof then new headliner. Most important a really really good body shop. I'm sure roof replacement is some where around 12-15hrs. Also the cf roof is glued down not welded obviously. So you need approx 6 tubes at about $50 per tube. Also the rear windshield will probably break so budget for the replacement glass.
Thanks for that. I thought it would be. seems like its just like any other headliner. Im trying to price things out to see what my options are .
Old 10-24-16, 04:37 PM
SmurFPwr
Driver

In my opinion the cost is way to much. Probably better off selling yours and finding a TVD version with the c/f roof and spoiler plus resale will be greater.
Old 10-24-16, 07:08 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by SmurFPwr
In my opinion the cost is way to much. Probably better off selling yours and finding a TVD version with the c/f roof and spoiler plus resale will be greater.
^^^^This is the same way I feel, I've just never understood why if that's what you want just wait & get one with it instead of spending all that extra $$$$$. But, I've also never understood why some guys buy a very expensive car & THEN do a complete body wrap (why not buy the color you want in the first place) but I guess they don't offer Flat Black or some of these other weird colors from the factory. At the end of the day, it's a Personal Preference & it's your car so you can do what you want or spend as much as you want (it's also about Priorities & what means the most to you, to some people it's cars, to some it's houses & to some it's families or even their job)
Old 10-24-16, 07:45 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
^^^^This is the same way I feel, I've just never understood why if that's what you want just wait & get one with it instead of spending all that extra $$$$$. But, I've also never understood why some guys buy a very expensive car & THEN do a complete body wrap (why not buy the color you want in the first place) but I guess they don't offer Flat Black or some of these other weird colors from the factory. At the end of the day, it's a Personal Preference & it's your car so you can do what you want or spend as much as you want (it's also about Priorities & what means the most to you, to some people it's cars, to some it's houses & to some it's families or even their job)
hard to say no to the awesome end of year rebates
The following users liked this post:
Hawk10 (04-19-22)
Old 10-25-16, 06:04 AM
SmurFPwr
Driver

They also don't offer carbon without TVD, so you can't exactly order it however you want.
Old 10-25-16, 01:29 PM
LDEUX
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Lexus makes non-performance package having RC-F's without sunroofs? I've never seen one without either a sunroof or a performance package.

Sounds like a lot of hassle bro (changing the headliner and sunroof mechanics). I'd get a 3M carbon wrap with a 3M Scotchguard Pro invisible shield to cover it to make it look like the factory carbon. But like previously mentioned, if you have the yen, do what you want.
Old 10-25-16, 07:50 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

i think this is over some of your heads. i got in touch with my friend who owns a reputable body shop. Seems pretty easy. Lexus offers Carbon roof replacement roofs for the RC-F. seems like a pretty easy job as well. thank for the words of wisdom. The price difference saving money and with my ISF trade in is def worth doing this.
Old 10-25-16, 08:02 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LDEUX
Lexus makes non-performance package having RC-F's without sunroofs? I've never seen one without either a sunroof or a performance package.

Sounds like a lot of hassle bro (changing the headliner and sunroof mechanics). I'd get a 3M carbon wrap with a 3M Scotchguard Pro invisible shield to cover it to make it look like the factory carbon. But like previously mentioned, if you have the yen, do what you want.

Old 10-25-16, 08:10 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Somewhere I read it costs around $15k to get a replacement RCF carbon roof from Japan made by the same machine that weaved the carbon chassis/panels on the LFA. Then there is the cost of installation which will be tricky.

So the cost is rather high. Why don't you just get an RCF already equipped with what you want? OR just do a vinyl carbon wrap which will get you the "look" without the expense?

i think this is over some of your heads. i got in touch with my friend who owns a reputable body shop. Seems pretty easy. Lexus offers Carbon roof replacement roofs for the RC-F. seems like a pretty easy job as well. thank for the words of wisdom. The price difference saving money and with my ISF trade in is def worth doing this.
Old 10-25-16, 08:12 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Somewhere I read it costs around $15k to get a replacement RCF carbon roof from Japan made by the same machine that weaved the carbon chassis/panels on the LFA. Then there is the cost of installation which will be tricky.

So the cost is rather high. Why don't you just get an RCF already equipped with what you want? OR just do a vinyl carbon wrap which will get you the "look" without the expense?
again as stated, i found a brand new one still on the lot that they are giving a great rebate. not only that, they are willing to give me a great trade in value for my ISF. RCF for the price of a base ford fiesta is hard to turn down.

and no, its not 15k for the roof, lol. we are talking about 2k
Old 10-26-16, 05:29 AM
CodyJames
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

again as stated, i found a brand new one still on the lot that they are giving a great rebate. not only that, they are willing to give me a great trade in value for my ISF. RCF for the price of a base ford fiesta is hard to turn down.

and no, its not 15k for the roof, lol. we are talking about 2k
I've also heard from multiple sources - including a dealership - that the carbon roof is indeed in the $15k range...

Quick Reply: RC-F carbon roof added after purchase