RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Motor sound throughout rev

Old 10-20-16, 10:49 PM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Motor sound throughout rev

I remember reading about this in another thread, but I can't find the exact thread. I've noticed that I hear that mean engine sound up until about 4500 to 5000rpm. You would think it would continue to get louder all the way to redline, and really get loud. Yet I hear more of the engine whine than a growl. Does that make sense, or are my ears messing with me? I'm pretty sure this will change once I put exhaust and intake on the car. I'm planning on this later on, but that Meisterschaft exhaust isn't cheap! But that sound you hear early on from the car, is just epic! I just want more of it and louder!

Cheers mates,
Old 10-21-16, 06:37 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by ZiPPyRCF
I remember reading about this in another thread, but I can't find the exact thread. I've noticed that I hear that mean engine sound up until about 4500 to 5000rpm. You would think it would continue to get louder all the way to redline, and really get loud. Yet I hear more of the engine whine than a growl. Does that make sense, or are my ears messing with me? I'm pretty sure this will change once I put exhaust and intake on the car. I'm planning on this later on, but that Meisterschaft exhaust isn't cheap! But that sound you hear early on from the car, is just epic! I just want more of it and louder!

Cheers mates,
that awesome sound is computer generated and pumped through the speakers. Sounds real doesn't it?!

buy the Borla for a fraction of the price you and won't be disappointed. I don't even hear that "engine sound" anymore after the Borla is installed. Now the F growls from idle to redline
Old 10-22-16, 12:51 AM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

No way!! Are you serious!?!? That's crazy! I had no idea. I thought they were taking the sound from the engine cabin, and playing it through a speaker through the glovebox. I had no idea it was completely computer generated. I heard the M4's are the same?

I will definitely take a look at the Borla exhaust. The only reason I really liked the Meisterschaft, was I could close the valves. So when I leave late at night for work, I don't wake up the entire neighborhood. Thanks ssmoked!!

Cheers,
Old 10-22-16, 02:58 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

No, it is not fake unlike the BMW. It is well documented. The augmented noise you hear are actually engine noises amplified through the speakers. Some of the harsh frequencies are cancelled out while the good noises are amplified.

Originally Posted by ZiPPyRCF
No way!! Are you serious!?!? That's crazy! I had no idea. I thought they were taking the sound from the engine cabin, and playing it through a speaker through the glovebox. I had no idea it was completely computer generated. I heard the M4's are the same?

I will definitely take a look at the Borla exhaust. The only reason I really liked the Meisterschaft, was I could close the valves. So when I leave late at night for work, I don't wake up the entire neighborhood. Thanks ssmoked!!

Cheers,
Old 10-23-16, 02:06 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
The augmented noise you hear are actually engine noises amplified through the speakers
Aka fake

notice the different output of engine speaker noise between regular/sport compared to sport plus?
Old 10-23-16, 07:02 PM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
Aka fake

notice the different output of engine speaker noise between regular/sport compared to sport plus?
Actually it might not be fake at all, I'm not 100% sure on this but I remember reading something about it somewhere... there is a flap on the intake that opens and closes when the engine reaches certain RPMs producing a more aggressive and awesome sound which in turn goes through the mic and into the cabin, amplified through the speaker. Now I'd have to take a look at it, but I think depending on what mode (normal, sport, etc) the flap will function or not... anybody can confirm this?
Old 10-23-16, 07:09 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Slash300zx
Actually it might not be fake at all, I'm not 100% sure on this but I remember reading something about it somewhere... there is a flap on the intake that opens and closes when the engine reaches certain RPMs producing a more aggressive and awesome sound which in turn goes through the mic and into the cabin, amplified through the speaker. Now I'd have to take a look at it, but I think depending on what mode (normal, sport, etc) the flap will function or not... anybody can confirm this?
the flap opens in all modes besides eco. When it's in sport+ it's considerably louder than normal and sport mode.

Pop the the hood and rev the engine, it doesn't sound anything like what you hear in the cabin. When the computer/speaker tune out static noise and amplify noise into perfection, isn't that considered fake?
Old 10-23-16, 10:11 PM
dbturbo2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the flap opens in all modes besides eco. When it's in sport+ it's considerably louder than normal and sport mode.

Pop the the hood and rev the engine, it doesn't sound anything like what you hear in the cabin. When the computer/speaker tune out static noise and amplify noise into perfection, isn't that considered fake?
Put your drivers window down while driving on the highway in the left lane beside the concrete center barrier. The exhaust note outside the car sounds pretty much identical to what you are hearing in the car.
Old 10-24-16, 11:42 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

From Lexus press material:

The sound blasting from the RC F’s quad stacked tailpipes is sure to turn heads and raise pulse rates. Yet, Lexus also had to design the cabin to be quiet enough to enable enjoyment of the standard premium sound system or sonically stunning Mark Levinson® Premium Surround Sound system.

How could RC F drivers enjoy both? The answer is Active Sound Control (ASC), which lets the driver control enhanced exhaust, intake and mechanical sounds within the cabin. Specifically, Lexus sought to approximate the aural experience provided by the Lexus LFA, which issued some of the most stirring mechanical intake and exhaust notes of any supercar. Although LFA V10 engine revs to 9,000 rpm and RC F’s V8 to 7,100 rpm, the engineers have come close.

An electronic control unit mounted beneath the instrument panel takes input from engine sounds, including varying engine speed, vehicle speed and throttle position and generates augmented sound through an actuator. It is entirely separate from audio system, so there’s no reduction in music fidelity.

Most importantly is the driver controls ASC. It’s activated only in SPORT S+ mode, not Eco, Normal and SPORT S modes. And when it’s on, ASC blends with the natural intake and exhaust sounds to about a 50:50 ratio.

At engine speeds up to 3,000 rpm, ASC issues a steady tone of low and deep sounds.
As revs rise, the tone transforms into a higher-pitched note that blends with the engine’s mechanical sounds, culminating in a free-soaring sound beyond 6,000 rpm.
Old 10-24-16, 02:15 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

You only get that sound if you're under load. Of course simply revving is not going to reproduce the sound. It's louder on sports +. But the sound is there when driving. Yes, like someone mentioned, put down the window and accelerate. The sound is real.
Old 10-24-16, 02:17 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Tons of video on YouTube recording from the outside has the induction sound under load and acceleration.
Old 10-24-16, 03:31 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

My whole point is that the sound in the cabin is not all natural and computer speaker generated, as confirmed by the press release by Lexus. Going technical, all natural sound is only generated by engine rev, intake and exhaust (think lambo and such).
Regarding driving next to a barrier and hearing your exhaust from reflected noise is comical. Strap a GoPro next to a Honda Civic muffler and you would hear some noise too under full throttle. That's the main reason why many Rcf owners choose to add after market exhaust simply because the stocks are too quiet. Btw my Borla is great.
What you hear in cabin from the ASC is enhanced noise and is completely different from what a pedestrian would hear on the street.

"How could RC F drivers enjoy both? The answer is Active Sound Control (ASC), which lets the driver control enhanced exhaust, intake and mechanical sounds within the cabin. Specifically, Lexus sought to approximate the aural experience provided by the Lexus LFA, which issued some of the most stirring mechanical intake and exhaust notes of any supercar. Although LFA V10 engine revs to 9,000 rpm and RC F’s V8 to 7,100 rpm, the engineers have come close.

An electronic control unit mounted beneath the instrument panel takes input from engine sounds, including varying engine speed, vehicle speed and throttle position and generates augmented sound through an actuator. It is entirely separate from audio system, so there’s no reduction in music fidelity.

Most importantly is the driver controls ASC. It’s activated only in SPORT S+ mode, not Eco, Normal and SPORT S modes. And when it’s on, ASC blends with the natural intake and exhaust sounds to about a 50:50 ratio.

At engine speeds up to 3,000 rpm, ASC issues a steady tone of low and deep sounds.
As revs rise, the tone transforms into a higher-pitched note that blends with the engine’s mechanical sounds, culminating in a free-soaring sound beyond 6,000 rpm.
Old 10-24-16, 07:17 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

My whole point is that the sound in the cabin is not all natural and computer speaker generated, as confirmed by the press release by Lexus. Going technical, all natural sound is only generated by engine rev, intake and exhaust (think lambo and such).
Regarding driving next to a barrier and hearing your exhaust from reflected noise is comical. Strap a GoPro next to a Honda Civic muffler and you would hear some noise too under full throttle. That's the main reason why many Rcf owners choose to add after market exhaust simply because the stocks are too quiet. Btw my Borla is great.
What you hear in cabin from the ASC is enhanced noise and is completely different from what a pedestrian would hear on the street.

"How could RC F drivers enjoy both? The answer is Active Sound Control (ASC), which lets the driver control enhanced exhaust, intake and mechanical sounds within the cabin. Specifically, Lexus sought to approximate the aural experience provided by the Lexus LFA, which issued some of the most stirring mechanical intake and exhaust notes of any supercar. Although LFA V10 engine revs to 9,000 rpm and RC F’s V8 to 7,100 rpm, the engineers have come close.

Yes, it's activated ONLY in Sports +. You don't hear the sound of the engine when you rev in normal or sport? Only reason stating that to open the window is that the sound is real and not fake as you noted. The only synthesized time is when your in the sport + mode.

Believe what you will. Just making the point that it's not fake.
Old 10-25-16, 12:53 PM
ARK Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We got to test out a couple RC-Fs stock vs ARK exhaust and aftermarket intake. The ASC is nice and all, but it really does not compare to an aftermarket exhaust and intake. With an aftermarket exhaust and intake you can hear it in any mode, not just Sport + of course, and you can really hear the V8 above 4,000 rpm all the way to redline!