Reason I don't buy my sports car used especially off lease

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-16, 09:17 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Reason I don't buy my sports car used especially off lease

The good ol' carfax won't pick that up

i can see the advertisement go like this: 2015, low mileage, mostly highway driven, never raced or abused, dealer certified. Buy with confidence!
Old 10-12-16, 05:43 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

^^ I am also very weary of buying a performance car pre-owned even if it's a "CPO". While it may look good on the surface you just never know how bad it was beat on. Sure the same can be said for a 4 cylinder Corolla, however IMO any performance car will get it worse..

I have never understood the fascination of doing that to your car, sure if you're at the track and you want to heat up your tires, but the video is excessive and IMO it's ridiculous to do that to your car. I bet the driver in the video is the same guy that will go to his dealer and complain that his brakes and rear tires are "prematurely wearing"..
Old 10-12-16, 06:23 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Lol, we have a 2016 Hellcat we are selling with 1,400 miles. A guy the other day called and asked if those 1,400 miles were all drag strip miles . . .
Old 10-12-16, 11:30 AM
LDEUX
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree bro, I only do virgins... sports cars that is.
Old 10-12-16, 12:10 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by JT4
^^ I am also very weary of buying a performance car pre-owned even if it's a "CPO". While it may look good on the surface you just never know how bad it was beat on. Sure the same can be said for a 4 cylinder Corolla, however IMO any performance car will get it worse..

I have never understood the fascination of doing that to your car, sure if you're at the track and you want to heat up your tires, but the video is excessive and IMO it's ridiculous to do that to your car. I bet the driver in the video is the same guy that will go to his dealer and complain that his brakes and rear tires are "prematurely wearing"..
I agree with JT4, I've always felt the same way. I have NEVER understood What the thrill is of just sitting there & burning up a good set of tires or just seeing how much smoke you can make. I wouldn't even do that with YOUR car! SAME thing when you see these IDIOT guys doing donuts in a parking lot until they break something or catch something on fire. Maybe i'm just an old fluddy duddy!
Old 10-12-16, 12:38 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
I agree with JT4, I've always felt the same way. I have NEVER understood What the thrill is of just sitting there & burning up a good set of tires or just seeing how much smoke you can make. I wouldn't even do that with YOUR car! SAME thing when you see these IDIOT guys doing donuts in a parking lot until they break something or catch something on fire. Maybe i'm just an old fluddy duddy!
You an old fluddy uddy!
Old 10-12-16, 12:41 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by DougHII
You an old fluddy uddy!
Hey Now, what the Hell is a Fluddy Uddy anyway? Hey Buddy, how you been doing? Shouldn't you be workin'?
Old 10-12-16, 03:20 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Now, what the Hell is a Fluddy Uddy anyway? Hey Buddy, how you been doing? Shouldn't you be workin'?
Doing great! I really should be working . . . Very low motivation here lately.
Old 10-12-16, 05:11 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

If you know cars then you also know what to look for. My used car was not a CPO and it hasn't had a single issue. Even fewer issues than a lot of the people who bought a new RC F.

Look at the tires first. Are they new tires or do they appear to be the factory original tires? If the car has less than 10k miles and has new tires, that's a flag. If it has what appears to be the factory originals with the expected treadwear, that's a good sign.

Check the service records and such, of course.

Make sure the mileage is on par with the age. I wouldn't want a car that has sat for months without being started.

Use common sense. I've not had any issues with any used cars I've purchased.
Old 10-13-16, 04:44 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Well that makes two us us....LOL
Old 10-26-16, 10:32 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Davew77
If you know cars then you also know what to look for. My used car was not a CPO and it hasn't had a single issue. Even fewer issues than a lot of the people who bought a new RC F.

Look at the tires first. Are they new tires or do they appear to be the factory original tires? If the car has less than 10k miles and has new tires, that's a flag. If it has what appears to be the factory originals with the expected treadwear, that's a good sign.

Check the service records and such, of course.

Make sure the mileage is on par with the age. I wouldn't want a car that has sat for months without being started.

Use common sense. I've not had any issues with any used cars I've purchased.
you don't have many issues mostly bc Toyota bullet proof reliability.

Right before I returned my Lexus rental this week, I filled the tank with 87 octane gas. I mean, who puts in premium on a rental. That means if your CPO is leased, mostly likely it's been drinking 87 octane the whole time. At least that's what I would do since technically it's not my car, why not save 50 cents per gallon.
Also my dealer has 50 rentals, I think they sell it as new demo or cpo when they rack up 3-4K miles. Those miles are abused 90% times. Although this scenario doesn't apply to Rcf
Old 10-28-16, 07:31 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
you don't have many issues mostly bc Toyota bullet proof reliability.

Right before I returned my Lexus rental this week, I filled the tank with 87 octane gas. I mean, who puts in premium on a rental. That means if your CPO is leased, mostly likely it's been drinking 87 octane the whole time. At least that's what I would do since technically it's not my car, why not save 50 cents per gallon.
Also my dealer has 50 rentals, I think they sell it as new demo or cpo when they rack up 3-4K miles. Those miles are abused 90% times. Although this scenario doesn't apply to Rcf
If it was drinking 87 octane the whole time and it wasn't knocking, then it doesn't hurt it... The minimum octane rating is only to prevent engine knocking.

I don't know many fools who would lease a car and then drive it around with the engine knocking, knowing that if the engine fails and the dealer finds 87 octane fuel in the tank that the warranty will be void and they will be paying for a scrapped car.

Most modern vehicles, especially Lexus, can run on 87 octane. The ECU alters the timing to adjust for engine knock. But it usually results in worse performance (less HP). My RX350 is like that. They recommend premium but it runs fine on 87.

Not everyone abuses things... I don't. I did when I was younger... but when I was younger I couldn't afford a RC F. I feel sorry for whoever bought my POS $3k truck.