RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

No adapt. Susp. option on 2017 F?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-16, 04:19 PM
airlaird
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default No adapt. Susp. option on 2017 F?

So I know I read my Motor Trend last month and someone even posted the page that mentioned there would be an Adaptive suspension available on the 2017 RC F.
I checked the Lexus site and there is no mention of anywhere on the "Build" section. Sooo....I guess either I am missing it or that was incorrect information ?
airlaird
Old 09-28-16, 05:25 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Maybe try calling Lexus. I didn't see the option on the build site either. But it's clearly stated in their brochure:

Old 09-28-16, 07:42 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Received 171 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by airlaird
So I know I read my Motor Trend last month and someone even posted the page that mentioned there would be an Adaptive suspension available on the 2017 RC F.
I checked the Lexus site and there is no mention of anywhere on the "Build" section. Sooo....I guess either I am missing it or that was incorrect information ?
airlaird
It is standard on the 2017, no option or package needed. Check out the "Performance" section on lexus.com, bottom right of the page.

http://www.lexus.com/models/RCF/performance

F-ADAPTIVE VARIABLE SUSPENSION (F-AVS)

Allowing the driver to harness the engine's power and communicate with the pavement like never before, an all-new F-Adaptive Variable Suspension featuring 30 levels of damping can stiffen for enhanced response based on the selected drive mode. The first-ever linear-solenoid monotube shocks not only improve body roll and stability when cornering, but also offer improved ride quality. With a motorsport-derived design, the system switches damping force four times faster than previous AVS systems, ensuring the driver has unprecedented levels of control.
Old 09-28-16, 07:49 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

I know this is slightly off topic, but anyone know or guess why they changed the base wheels for 2017?

Old 09-29-16, 07:35 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Great news! This is a big step forward for the RCF. I had been saying RCF needs it since the beginning. RCF suspension considered a bit on the softer side for the track while pushing to the limits, but on the stiff side for daily driving. This will allow the hit the two extremities perfectly, Most likely, Lexus will tune the comfort setting for soft daily driving over cr*ppy roads and a track setting that offers extreme rigidity on the race track while pushing it to the limits.
Old 09-30-16, 05:20 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ct6978
I know this is slightly off topic, but anyone know or guess why they changed the base wheels for 2017?

I really like those. I like the earlier base wheels better than the overdone option wheels and I like these better than the prior base wheels. Hopefully, these will weigh less also.
Old 09-30-16, 05:27 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Great news! This is a big step forward for the RCF. I had been saying RCF needs it since the beginning. RCF suspension considered a bit on the softer side for the track while pushing to the limits, but on the stiff side for daily driving. This will allow the hit the two extremities perfectly, Most likely, Lexus will tune the comfort setting for soft daily driving over cr*ppy roads and a track setting that offers extreme rigidity on the race track while pushing it to the limits.
Yeah, I'm very curious to see if Lexus will take the opportunity to re-tune the suspension for both daily driving and extreme track duty now that the MY17 RC-F no longer utilizes a one-size-fit-all suspension setting.
Old 09-30-16, 05:37 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
The RCF has an amazingly compliant and comfortable ride compared to other typical sports cars which tend to be much harsher. My wife even comments how comfortable the RCF drives while still retaining the sporty feel yet she complains about tightness of M4s, 911s, Granturismos, F Type and higher end exotics types. I am used to very, very tight suspensions, but have no complaints about the RCF being either to soft or harsh. I get way more annoyed by or Porsche Macan's suspension.

While the RCF is not a track car, those that would be inclined to try and use it on the track will not have the skill level to even remotely approach the limits of the car regardless of suspension. Individuals having spent sufficient time on a track to drive at or near the RCF's limits will have moved longed since purchased a dedicated track car or are likely racing in a spec of club category. While the adjustable suspension is a cool marketing ploy, I would leave it off if it adds any weight.
Old 09-30-16, 11:28 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Originally Posted by DougHII
I really like those. I like the earlier base wheels better than the overdone option wheels and I like these better than the prior base wheels. Hopefully, these will weigh less also.
I guess wheels are a very personal thing I agree with you on the optional wheels, but i liken the older base wheels much better than the newer ones. I guess I better, since I bought a set for my ISF.
Attached Thumbnails No adapt. Susp. option on 2017 F?-s-l1600.jpg   No adapt. Susp. option on 2017 F?-lexus-rcf-wheel-gallery-png1-416x364-lex-acc-my17-0001-01-copy.jpg  
Old 09-30-16, 05:36 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

So our 2015 RCF does not have this variable suspension?

I thought when I turn the dial to Sports+, the suspension is suppose to tighten up, Not true?

Originally Posted by DougHII
The RCF has an amazingly compliant and comfortable ride compared to other typical sports cars which tend to be much harsher. My wife even comments how comfortable the RCF drives while still retaining the sporty feel yet she complains about tightness of M4s, 911s, Granturismos, F Type and higher end exotics types. I am used to very, very tight suspensions, but have no complaints about the RCF being either to soft or harsh. I get way more annoyed by or Porsche Macan's suspension.

While the RCF is not a track car, those that would be inclined to try and use it on the track will not have the skill level to even remotely approach the limits of the car regardless of suspension. Individuals having spent sufficient time on a track to drive at or near the RCF's limits will have moved longed since purchased a dedicated track car or are likely racing in a spec of club category. While the adjustable suspension is a cool marketing ploy, I would leave it off if it adds any weight.
Old 09-30-16, 05:41 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lexusrus
So our 2015 RCF does not have this variable suspension?

I thought when I turn the dial to Sports+, the suspension is suppose to tighten up, Not true?
Sorry, no. The 2015/16 RC350 F-Sport has the regular AVS and stiffens up on Sports+, but until the 2017 model, the RCF had fixed shocks. Fairly noticeable difference in the suspension on the RC350 once Sports+ is selected.

Last edited by ct6978; 09-30-16 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-30-16, 09:33 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

OK. I guess I don't know all of the features (or lack of) in my RCF!!! Why didn't Lexus include the AVS in the 2015 RCF!! Go figure !!!

Oh well, can't have everything. Still the RCF rides fine for me.

Some years ago I had test driven one of my friend's MB CLK63 AMG Black Series. That thing literally had no suspension at all (to me anyway). Very stiff. Just hurt my back for my taste. This car is a copy of Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear (used to be) beloved CLK63 AMG Black Series which he sold later on in 2015. Check this article (video mid way down):

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/je...deo-96175.html

Then I looked and test drove a SLK55 AMG with the P030 Performance Package (basically stiff suspension, but not as stiff as the Black Series). It was a little bit better, but still too stiff for me at the time. So I settled on a regular SLK55 AMG.

I think the RCF is just right for cruising around town and highway.

But I would still like to have the option of "adjusting" with the AVS as in the regular RC's you mentioned.

Originally Posted by ct6978
Sorry, no. The 2015/16 RC350 F-Sport has the regular AVS and stiffens up on Sports+, until the 2017 model, the RCF had fixed shocks. Fairly noticeable difference in the suspension on the RC350 once Sports+ is selected.