RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Brake Pads for Track: OEM or Aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-16, 04:42 PM
ba2sy
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Brake Pads for Track: OEM or Aftermarket

Hi! I'm planning to track my car for the first time in October. I was worried I might have to change it right after or a few thousand miles after I track'd my car so, I called Longo Lexus. They gave me a quote to replace brake pads and resurface rotors for $970 Fronts, $1070 Rears.

My questions are:
-How many miles before we need to replace and resurface them on just Street Use (normal braking) vs Track Use (heavy braking)?
-What's another back-up replacement that can be used for track with our OEM Rotors?

My car is close to 11,000 miles mostly street use and 3 runs at the drag strip.
Old 09-20-16, 05:15 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I can't speak to mileage on the brakes. But I would never get my rotors resurfaced unless they were warped or damaged. Resurfacing rotors just to resurface them is a waste of money and rotor life (which also equals money).

I have almost 17k miles on my current pads. I need service within the next week so I'll know how much life they have left then.

Edit: Non-track use. But I regularly drive hard and fast.

Last edited by Davew77; 09-20-16 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-20-16, 06:29 PM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

One track day and a lot of hard driving ~15k on OEM pads

Swapped the pads to endless mx72 ( best street / strip pad on the market ) and kept OEM rotors. Slotted rotors cant be resurfaced, Car stops on a dime, wont ever go back to OEM pads. Rotors will be changed once the pads are done. Per my lexus tech, you can get two pad changes out of a rotor
Old 09-20-16, 06:40 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by JB5674
Slotted rotors cant be resurfaced
True. I forgot about that. I don't get my rotors resurfaced anyway.
Old 09-21-16, 03:46 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Btw, carbo tech is specific for track and not street.Carbotech XP, I've never tried them but I heard alot of good stuff about it...dont forget to change ur brake fluid as well, while at it.
Old 09-21-16, 04:21 AM
skipetenj
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

I am using Endless MX72. It is described as follows' is the ultimate street ceramic-carbon-metallic compound developed for extreme speeds and power. MX72 is the latest Endless development with lots of technology and effort in it to cope the demands of a extreme street compound. It is suited for use in a power brake system with or without ABS and EPS. The MX72 is a high heat resistance compound which can also be used for circuit racing, like a sports car club race day so there is no need to change pads for such an event. The initial bite and response is excellent even at very high speed like 250-300 km/h and so also the pedal feel and brake balance'. No problem with wear indicators. I have tracked 2 days and their response was excellent and consistent. Recommended by Rafi - RR Racing and it was a good choice.
Old 09-21-16, 04:35 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

^^^nice I'm going to look into that.
Old 09-21-16, 09:13 AM
ba2sy
Instructor

Thanks! guys... So, most of the people are going for Endless MX72... Where do you get yours? I looked at their website and for some reason I don't see a dealer here in US. lol! I might be looking at it wrong again after a long night at work.

I'm not sure why Longo qouted me for resurfacing too when it's not warped or damaged. It must be the stealership thing.
Old 09-21-16, 09:44 AM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

RR-Racing is your go to boss!
Old 09-21-16, 10:22 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

We are dealers for both Endless and Carbotech pads and have done our best to stock both for the RC-F since May of 2015. We are pulling away from carbotech street applications on the RCF due to some manufacturing issues with the the wear sensor slots on the backplates but for the XP (race) series of pads I don't think it matters as much. The Endless MX72 are plug and play true dual duty pads whereas the Carbotech XPs are not meant to be street driven for long periods of time (to and from the track is plenty fine).

We are currently having a sale on the MX72. Here are the direct links on our website:
http://speedfreaksusa.com/i-21269470...c-f-front.html
http://speedfreaksusa.com/i-21261259...rc-f-rear.html

-Matt M.

Last edited by SpeedFreaksUSA; 09-21-16 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-21-16, 12:13 PM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by skipetenj
I am using Endless MX72. It is described as follows' is the ultimate street ceramic-carbon-metallic compound developed for extreme speeds and power. MX72 is the latest Endless development with lots of technology and effort in it to cope the demands of a extreme street compound. It is suited for use in a power brake system with or without ABS and EPS. The MX72 is a high heat resistance compound which can also be used for circuit racing, like a sports car club race day so there is no need to change pads for such an event. The initial bite and response is excellent even at very high speed like 250-300 km/h and so also the pedal feel and brake balance'. No problem with wear indicators. I have tracked 2 days and their response was excellent and consistent. Recommended by Rafi - RR Racing and it was a good choice.
Sounds good, but the burning question is the dust. How is the brake dust compared to stock Brembos?
Old 09-22-16, 10:18 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanrcf
Sounds good, but the burning question is the dust. How is the brake dust compared to stock Brembos?
I'm sure others will come back with the same answer but they dust substantially less than the stock Brembos. The dust has also been very easy to clean in my experience- I haven't had any issues with anything sticking and needing heavy duty cleaners with either the MX72 or the more aggressive MXRS on my own vehicles.

-Matt M.
Old 09-22-16, 07:02 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Fah, it also depends in the track that ur going to...tammer has been tracking his is f with OEM pad with no issue...if the track is technical, then I highly advise to change them.
Old 09-24-16, 11:57 PM
ba2sy
Instructor

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
We are dealers for both Endless and Carbotech pads and have done our best to stock both for the RC-F since May of 2015. We are pulling away from carbotech street applications on the RCF due to some manufacturing issues with the the wear sensor slots on the backplates but for the XP (race) series of pads I don't think it matters as much. The Endless MX72 are plug and play true dual duty pads whereas the Carbotech XPs are not meant to be street driven for long periods of time (to and from the track is plenty fine).

We are currently having a sale on the MX72. Here are the direct links on our website:
http://speedfreaksusa.com/i-21269470...c-f-front.html
http://speedfreaksusa.com/i-21261259...rc-f-rear.html

-Matt M.
Thanks! I'll check them out.
Originally Posted by chris07is
Fah, it also depends in the track that ur going to...tammer has been tracking his is f with OEM pad with no issue...if the track is technical, then I highly advise to change them.
I'm planning to track my car with OEM first. But the question is after tracking it. Will it be enough to reach my next 5000 mile service or should I need a back up now just in case. And also, the price for new OEM brake pads + "resurfacing" = $970 + $1070. I want to see lifespan and alternatives especially if I'm going to track and drag strip the car every now and then.
Old 09-30-16, 10:10 PM
ATLHeel350
Pit Crew

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by JB5674
One track day and a lot of hard driving ~15k on OEM pads

Swapped the pads to endless mx72 ( best street / strip pad on the market ) and kept OEM rotors. Slotted rotors cant be resurfaced, Car stops on a dime, wont ever go back to OEM pads. Rotors will be changed once the pads are done. Per my lexus tech, you can get two pad changes out of a rotor
i am going with Endless when my pads are done.

By the way, how is the dust?

Quick Reply: Brake Pads for Track: OEM or Aftermarket