RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

2nd gear hesitation/jolt/RPM loss, even after Fuel Pump noise TSB

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-16, 09:27 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Yes, in stop and go LA traffic it is difficult to drive like you stole it. Hence I relocated my RCF to middle of nowhere where I can really drive it like I stole it. Haha 😆😃😀

In automatic any mode, after the ECU flash I can't replicate the hesitation. Nor can I replicate it in manual any mode. I came close one time in auto sports + where I think I saw a slight drop in rpm on second shift. But I was not sure, I think I was anticipating the drop in rpm and I lifted on the throttle?

I'm not a professional race car driver. This issue is so minute to me that I really can not tell. So I'm going to continue enjoy this RCF as it is. 😊☺😀

Originally Posted by SmurFPwr
even though I agree, I can't drive like that in morning traffic it just isnt possible and that's when I noticed it. So long as I know that it's normal I'm perfectly fine with it. I'm I guess those that never noticed it drive in auto majority of the time.
Old 09-23-16, 12:14 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,512 Likes on 656 Posts

even though I agree, I can't drive like that in morning traffic it just isnt possible and that's when I noticed it. So long as I know that it's normal I'm perfectly fine with it. I'm I guess those that never noticed it drive in auto majority of the time.
if it's only doing it manual mode and only when shifting at lower rpm's, why drive that way in manual mode? Just my opinion, if I want or need to drive that way, I'd put it in auto mode, in which the "issue" does not happen.
Old 09-23-16, 04:51 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lock up happens in 2nd gear around that 1500-2000rpm range in manual. This is the reason why the shifts are quick from 2-3, 3-4, 5-6 and on especially if you put it under load with a heavy foot.
Also if you shift out of 1st at a higher rpm there will not be a hickup because the converter will be locked. Try letting your Rpm go up to 4000 before shifting into 2 and there is no hickup.
^^^This^^^Tach it up to 4-5k rpm. It will leap into second, especially if the reflash was done to your car. My slight lag is gone.
Old 09-23-16, 11:21 PM
dbturbo2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the issue, and have it before and after the flash. The hesitation has nothing to do with the transmission and how fast it does or doesn't shift. It is a dead spot in the throttle that occurs in the first 3 gears under all throttle conditions. I drive 100% in sport+ manual mode and the hesitation is noticeable and annoying as hell. And no I will not drive in auto mode because the issue is less noticeable in that mode.

The dealer tech rode with me, duplicated the issue, and Lexus does not want to acknowledge that a problem even exists. "Car is performing to specification". A salesman at my dealership has one as well with the same issue, and the Lexus rep flew in to confirm the issue, and they still don't acknowledge it. Lexus is all about how the great drivability of the RCF, how the NA engine sounds and puts the power down, yet they don't give a **** about those that have this issue. I love the car, had and ISF with no issues, but am pretty much fed up with their lack of action on this. Speak up everyone that has the issue, if enough people ***** maybe something will happen.
Old 09-24-16, 05:52 AM
chrismgiro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dbturbo2
I have the issue, and have it before and after the flash. The hesitation has nothing to do with the transmission and how fast it does or doesn't shift. It is a dead spot in the throttle that occurs in the first 3 gears under all throttle conditions. I drive 100% in sport+ manual mode and the hesitation is noticeable and annoying as hell. And no I will not drive in auto mode because the issue is less noticeable in that mode.

The dealer tech rode with me, duplicated the issue, and Lexus does not want to acknowledge that a problem even exists. "Car is performing to specification". A salesman at my dealership has one as well with the same issue, and the Lexus rep flew in to confirm the issue, and they still don't acknowledge it. Lexus is all about how the great drivability of the RCF, how the NA engine sounds and puts the power down, yet they don't give a **** about those that have this issue. I love the car, had and ISF with no issues, but am pretty much fed up with their lack of action on this. Speak up everyone that has the issue, if enough people ***** maybe something will happen.
This ^^^^^ I completely agree. This needs to continue to be addressed as a real issue and not "blown off" as a normal condition. The Torque converter locking up should not cause the vehicle to feel like it is losing power, no matter what RPM we are shifting out of 1st gear at (or in your case multiple gears?). This is a $90k sports car by Lexus and any issue causing this many complaints should be enough for them to recognize there is something wrong. We have had numerous people on here say they do not have the issue and are unable to replicate it, so that leads me to believe it isn't a "normal condition". I have tried shifting out of first at 2k, 3k, 4k rpm and I always have the "hiccup" after the shift into 2nd occurs. I completely agree that it is very annoying and takes away from the joy of just driving the vehicle and instead I am always messing with settings, to see if some combination of different modes or settings gets rid of or lessens the problem.

Last edited by chrismgiro; 09-24-16 at 06:50 AM. Reason: update
Old 09-24-16, 06:56 AM
chrismgiro
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Yes, in stop and go LA traffic it is difficult to drive like you stole it. Hence I relocated my RCF to middle of nowhere where I can really drive it like I stole it. Haha 😆😃😀

In automatic any mode, after the ECU flash I can't replicate the hesitation. Nor can I replicate it in manual any mode. I came close one time in auto sports + where I think I saw a slight drop in rpm on second shift. But I was not sure, I think I was anticipating the drop in rpm and I lifted on the throttle?

I'm not a professional race car driver. This issue is so minute to me that I really can not tell. So I'm going to continue enjoy this RCF as it is. 😊☺😀
You are one of the lucky owners that seems not to have this issue. Couple questions...Do you have a 2015 or 2016 RCF? What RPM range are you shifting into 2nd gear? The hiccup is most noticeable for me shifting into 2nd right around 3k rpm, but does happen shifting anywhere between 2k-4k rpm.
Old 09-24-16, 07:07 AM
chrismgiro
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ISF001
^^^This^^^Tach it up to 4-5k rpm. It will leap into second, especially if the reflash was done to your car. My slight lag is gone.
In one of the other threads you mentioned that you drive in manual mode 90% of the time and have no issues. Are you always tach'ing up to 4-5k rpm before shifting into 2nd gear? If you shift into 2nd between 2-3k rpm you do not feel the hiccup, supposedly caused by the torque converter locking up? If you do not have the issue it means the "hiccup" a lot of us are experiencing is not a normal condition.

Fellow 2015 RCF Ultrasonic Blue Mica with Carbon Package & TVD Owner
Old 09-24-16, 08:17 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I have a 2015 RCF, non carbon, non TVD, aND non hEads up display. Otherwise got all other options, including ML and LED headlights.

Other than some paint pealing from behind the front black groll with that black bar where the license plate attaches. This was promptly taken care of by warranty from a Lexus dealer other than the one I purchased from since I had shipped my RCF to another location.

I'm traveling now and will try again to replicate the hesitation when I get back to my RCF next month.

I agree if you are having problems or issues, you need to be taken care of. After all this IS a LEXUS! !!!

IDK, maybe now I don't notice any of this because I don't really drive in stop and go traffic with my RCF due to where I am which is middle of nowhere relative to SoCal traffic?

I'll keep all posted.

Originally Posted by chrismgiro
You are one of the lucky owners that seems not to have this issue. Couple questions...Do you have a 2015 or 2016 RCF? What RPM range are you shifting into 2nd gear? The hiccup is most noticeable for me shifting into 2nd right around 3k rpm, but does happen shifting anywhere between 2k-4k rpm.
Old 10-01-16, 08:45 AM
chrismgiro
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I have a 2015 RCF, non carbon, non TVD, aND non hEads up display. Otherwise got all other options, including ML and LED headlights.

Other than some paint pealing from behind the front black groll with that black bar where the license plate attaches. This was promptly taken care of by warranty from a Lexus dealer other than the one I purchased from since I had shipped my RCF to another location.

I'm traveling now and will try again to replicate the hesitation when I get back to my RCF next month.

I agree if you are having problems or issues, you need to be taken care of. After all this IS a LEXUS! !!!

IDK, maybe now I don't notice any of this because I don't really drive in stop and go traffic with my RCF due to where I am which is middle of nowhere relative to SoCal traffic?

I'll keep all posted.
Bringing this thread back to life. I have been away for the last week. Still interested in hearing more opinions on this issue.
Old 10-03-16, 05:13 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Drive it like you stole it to train the ECU for spirited driving. I had the same issue for a while with my IS F.
Old 10-05-16, 09:19 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by dbturbo2
My 2015 non-TVD RCF does the exact same thing.

Originally Posted by ISF001
Drive it like you stole it to train the ECU for spirited driving. I had the same issue for a while with my IS F.
Doesn't help. I have tried
Old 06-23-17, 09:25 AM
RCFun
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default My Experience...FIXED**

I had this problem pretty bad between 2-3 gear. For those that have not experienced it, it is not a "lag", you don't need to retrain your ECU or shift points. It's a flat out lose of power, tach drops for at least half a second. I've had it to the dealer 3 times, including them flashing the ECU.

BUT...my good news is last week I had the Low Pressure Fuel pump flashed according to the TSB. Since then the lose of power is gone. This confirms that it is not a transmission but a fuel issue at certain speeds.

Just thought I'd bring those up to date with my experience.
Old 06-23-17, 06:12 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

What makes this forum think the reflash has anything at all to do with the transmission's operation? Do you all realize the battery is disconnected eliminating the learning the gearbox has done and starting from scratch with ZERO CODE CHANGE for transmission operation?

I had this reflash done to the wife's GS F. Made absolutely NO DIFFERENCE to the gearbox operation at all.

Ever heard of placebo?

It is extremely well known in the IS F world the AA80E is sensitive to fluid level. As little as 4 ounces low will impact how the gearbox responds. It's a huge PITA to set the level right, so even dealerships are unlikely to do it right, but when it is good, it is really great. AMHIK.

FWIW, I have the premium TIS subscription, so I can see all the software updates. You guys who think a reflash affected your shifting are fooling yourselves.
Old 08-10-17, 07:57 PM
Flilady
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '15 has 16,000 miles and I just started experiencing shifting issues. When I floor it, seems to get stuck in 3rd gear (most noticeable in sports mode) and won't make it to 4th unless I let off the gas. It shows it's stuck in 3rd on the display as well. This is extremely frustrating and performance wise a bit embarrassing! Up until now, I haven't had any issues. Might this be a similar issue? Any ideas on what this could be? Thanks
Old 08-11-17, 10:54 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Flilady
My '15 has 16,000 miles and I just started experiencing shifting issues. When I floor it, seems to get stuck in 3rd gear (most noticeable in sports mode) and won't make it to 4th unless I let off the gas. It shows it's stuck in 3rd on the display as well. This is extremely frustrating and performance wise a bit embarrassing! Up until now, I haven't had any issues. Might this be a similar issue? Any ideas on what this could be? Thanks
I'd get that looked at by the dealer under warranty... Stat..... that's not really related to the ECU/fuel pump thing. If they try to blow smoke saying they can't replicate it, you might want to set up a camera and record it as it happens.

-Mike

Quick Reply: 2nd gear hesitation/jolt/RPM loss, even after Fuel Pump noise TSB