RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

2nd gear hesitation/jolt/RPM loss, even after Fuel Pump noise TSB

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-16, 12:09 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Nothing is more dangerous than the truth!!! 😊😊😊😊😀☺😁

All I'm saying is what is NORMAL for one person MAY NOT be NORMAL for another. The term is relative.

Originally Posted by Davew77
Sarcasm is dangerous on the internet.
Old 09-19-16, 12:13 AM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Nothing is more dangerous than the truth!!! 😊😊😊😊😀☺😁

All I'm saying is what is NORMAL for one person MAY NOT be NORMAL for another. The term is relative.
I completely agree.
Old 09-19-16, 12:46 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

The main reason I buy ALMOST 100% Lexus vehicles over the last 20+ years or so is its legendary reliability and royal treatment at the Lexus Dealerships.

But sometimes one Lexus dealer may not want to honor the tradition. My advise is to go to another Lexus dealer if you have a choice. If not, then I would say write a complaint letter to Lexus HQ and get resolution and satisfaction.

Originally Posted by Davew77
I completely agree.
Old 09-19-16, 07:42 AM
chrismgiro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SmurFPwr
honestly I just re-read what they put and they stated the lag is shifting at low rpms is normal. which is correct. i don''t think they actually understood what I explained to look for. its after shifting from 1st into 2nd and while in 2nd there is a hickup around 1900-2400 rpm as if the clutch is ever so slightly released.
Yeah, I see what you are saying now and I agree the "lag" during shifting is expected, but the hesitation/hiccup is not normal and needs to be addressed.
Old 09-20-16, 02:53 PM
SmurFPwr
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

after the ECU flash and bringing up the hesitation in 2nd gear they stated that it was normal when I picked it up. But after reading the notes they said they said the shift from 1-2 in low rpm being slow was normal so I do t think they understood initially what i mentioned. Today I took the car back and the service manager took a ride along with me and he definitely noticed the issue. He was going to log in some tests and scans and get with Lexus CA to see what the engineers suggest. I also mentioned to him that many others are noticing the hesitation in 2nd gear but then many others have no issues at all. Let's see what happens
Old 09-20-16, 03:50 PM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

after the ECU flash and bringing up the hesitation in 2nd gear they stated that it was normal when I picked it up. But after reading the notes they said they said the shift from 1-2 in low rpm being slow was normal so I do t think they understood initially what i mentioned. Today I took the car back and the service manager took a ride along with me and he definitely noticed the issue. He was going to log in some tests and scans and get with Lexus CA to see what the engineers suggest. I also mentioned to him that many others are noticing the hesitation in 2nd gear but then many others have no issues at all. Let's see what happens
It would be awesome if they found a fix. Have them check the transmission oil level as well.

Please keep us posted! Thanks!
Old 09-20-16, 07:30 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

This issue has apparently been around for a while:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...esitation.html

I've been browsing through old threads because I'm sitting at work bored.
Old 09-20-16, 08:00 PM
chrismgiro
Driver School Candidate

Awesome job man! I have been in contact with my Dealership's Service Manager about this issue as well. The more dealerships that begin seeing or hearing about this issue means a better shot getting the correct engineers looking at it. This is exactly how the fuel pump TSB came about. I am definitely curious to find out if this is as simple as a low trans fluid issue, though. So, that should be the first thing to look at. Keep us posted.
Old 09-20-16, 09:01 PM
SmurFPwr
Driver

Originally Posted by chrismgiro
Awesome job man! I have been in contact with my Dealership's Service Manager about this issue as well. The more dealerships that begin seeing or hearing about this issue means a better shot getting the correct engineers looking at it. This is exactly how the fuel pump TSB came about. I am definitely curious to find out if this is as simple as a low trans fluid issue, though. So, that should be the first thing to look at. Keep us posted.
yup for sure. Hope they get it resolved. Hopefully more people will bring this up to their service center if they have the issue.
Old 09-22-16, 02:06 PM
SmurFPwr
Driver

EVERY ONE QUIT WORRYING! ITS FINE!!!

The Manual mode allows the SPDS to allow full torque-converter lock-up from second to eighth gears for “clutchless” manual shifting. The service manager had no idea and acknowledged the feeling but after he ran diagnostics and scan to see what was happening it showed him that the tq conv. was locking up. He called Lexus CA just to confirm this and his presumtion was correct. Also if you allow the car to decelerate after the full lock up in 2nd to 1500rpm less you can feel the tq converter disengage very slightly.

Also after they told me this i did some searching about the torque converter lock up and saw this post: LOOK at #7
http://autonationdrive.com/top-10-th...15-lexus-rc-f/
The following users liked this post:
Juniorrsx (09-23-17)
Old 09-22-16, 07:04 PM
SmurFPwr
Driver

Old 09-22-16, 07:36 PM
chrismgiro
Driver School Candidate

EVERY ONE QUIT WORRYING! ITS FINE!!!

The Manual mode allows the SPDS to allow full torque-converter lock-up from second to eighth gears for “clutchless” manual shifting. The service manager had no idea and acknowledged the feeling but after he ran diagnostics and scan to see what was happening it showed him that the tq conv. was locking up. He called Lexus CA just to confirm this and his presumtion was correct. Also if you allow the car to decelerate after the full lock up in 2nd to 1500rpm less you can feel the tq converter disengage very slightly.

Also after they told me this i did some searching about the torque converter lock up and saw this post: LOOK at #7
http://autonationdrive.com/top-10-th...15-lexus-rc-f/
Why is the hiccup only felt after shifting into 2nd gear? Shifting into any gear above 2nd the lockup is smooth as silk after the shift occurs, no hiccup. Why is everyone not complaining about the issue if it is "normal"? Does everyone else drive in Automatic Mode?
Old 09-22-16, 09:13 PM
SmurFPwr
Driver

Lock up happens in 2nd gear around that 1500-2000rpm range in manual. This is the reason why the shifts are quick from 2-3, 3-4, 5-6 and on especially if you put it under load with a heavy foot.
Also if you shift out of 1st at a higher rpm there will not be a hickup because the converter will be locked. Try letting your Rpm go up to 4000 before shifting into 2 and there is no hickup.
Old 09-22-16, 09:24 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

True to that!!!

There is NO HESITATION when under load or heavy footing on the gas. It is suppose to be a "sports car", right? I mean drive it like what it is intended for.

Lock up happens in 2nd gear around that 1500-2000rpm range in manual. This is the reason why the shifts are quick from 2-3, 3-4, 5-6 and on especially if you put it under load with a heavy foot.
Also if you shift out of 1st at a higher rpm there will not be a hickup because the converter will be locked. Try letting your Rpm go up to 4000 before shifting into 2 and there is no hickup.
Old 09-23-16, 04:55 AM
SmurFPwr
Driver

Originally Posted by lexusrus
True to that!!!

There is NO HESITATION when under load or heavy footing on the gas. It is suppose to be a "sports car", right? I mean drive it like what it is intended for.
even though I agree, I can't drive like that in morning traffic it just isnt possible and that's when I noticed it. So long as I know that it's normal I'm perfectly fine with it. I'm I guess those that never noticed it drive in auto majority of the time.

Quick Reply: 2nd gear hesitation/jolt/RPM loss, even after Fuel Pump noise TSB