RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

2nd gear hesitation/jolt/RPM loss, even after Fuel Pump noise TSB

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-16, 08:29 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I think both of your ECU got reflashed bc I see "EG1617" listed on both as completed.

I see on mine the same code "EG1617" as completed. See my post of paperwork earlier.

Originally Posted by chrismgiro
Doesn't look like they performed the TSB. Here is my invoice.

Old 09-16-16, 12:12 PM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

I have this hesitation in manual mode for 1-3rd gears. Happened when stock, after when modified, and still present after TSB ECU reflash for fuel pump.

Like was stated, it is around 2k RPMS.
Old 09-16-16, 12:33 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Only hesitation folks were having with the IS-F trans was due to the fluid being about 1/2 a quart low after some miles.....

Very strange you guys are having this issue.
Old 09-16-16, 12:41 PM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
Only hesitation folks were having with the IS-F trans was due to the fluid being about 1/2 a quart low after some miles.....

Very strange you guys are having this issue.
Well, my RCF got a low oil light which they said was due to low level from initial factory fill so possibly the trans fluid is also low. I will have them check. If that fixes it, I will be one happy camper
Old 09-16-16, 01:48 PM
SmurFPwr
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I got the TSB ecu flash for the fuel pump but still have the same 2nd gear hickup at 19-2200rpm
i think more people need to go to the dealership and state this exact issue so that maybe Lexus will look into it and come out with a fix.
Old 09-16-16, 02:25 PM
chrismgiro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Video of the issue

Ok all, finally got around to getting a video of the issue. Happens right around the 5 second mark in the video (~2300rpm after the shift into 2nd gear). You can hear the "hiccup" and see the tach needle drop. I also updated the OP and added the video there as well.

Attached Files
File Type: avi
Hiccup.avi (4.43 MB, 274 views)

Last edited by chrismgiro; 09-17-16 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Updated Content
Old 09-16-16, 07:59 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Wow, I don't have that at all. Good luck with the fix..
Old 09-17-16, 08:14 AM
chrismgiro
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I think both of your ECU got reflashed bc I see "EG1617" listed on both as completed.

I see on mine the same code "EG1617" as completed. See my post of paperwork earlier.
They definitely performed the TSB to my vehicle, I was referring to the other poster's invoice, but now I do see that his invoice shows the EG1617 update listed. I missed it during first glance.
Old 09-17-16, 12:43 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

OK.

I think I was able to replicate the hesitation in shifting from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd. I got it on video on my RC-F.

But it seemed like I really had to "work at it" to reproduce it. Meaning I would have to press on the accelerator very slowly and carefully (almost like I was anticipating the hesitation which is bias) versus I just press on the accelerator like I mean it without spinning out the rear tires (after all it is a fast car, right? Certainly faster than my CT200h for sure, haha).

I will post when I get time.

I had posted earlier that I also noticed a drop in mpg by about 2-3 mpg in all modes.

Originally Posted by chrismgiro
They definitely performed the TSB to my vehicle, I was referring to the other poster's invoice, but now I do see that his invoice shows the EG1617 update listed. I missed it during first glance.
Old 09-18-16, 01:49 PM
SmurFPwr
Driver

They did my ecu flash and did feel the 2nd gear hesitation and noted that it was a normal condition. 😏

Old 09-18-16, 02:49 PM
chrismgiro
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SmurFPwr
They did my ecu flash and did feel the 2nd gear hesitation and noted that it was a normal condition. 😏
Its normal for a $90k Lexus sport luxury vehicle with 467hp to have a hesitation issue? Did you mention not every RCF has this issue? If it was a normal condition every person on this forum would be complaining about it. I have owned plenty of vehicles with manual transmissions and have never had any issue like this.

The tech told you that it was a normal condition or the service manager? Where did he get that information about it being a normal condition and what was the explanation as to why that would be normal?
Old 09-18-16, 03:57 PM
SmurFPwr
Driver

honestly I just re-read what they put and they stated the lag is shifting at low rpms is normal. which is correct. i don''t think they actually understood what I explained to look for. its after shifting from 1st into 2nd and while in 2nd there is a hickup around 1900-2400 rpm as if the clutch is ever so slightly released.
Old 09-18-16, 05:28 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by SmurFPwr
honestly I just re-read what they put and they stated the lag is shifting at low rpms is normal. which is correct. i don''t think they actually understood what I explained to look for. its after shifting from 1st into 2nd and while in 2nd there is a hickup around 1900-2400 rpm as if the clutch is ever so slightly released.
Normal doesn't mean correct. It probably just means that they have seen it a lot. Which makes it normal.
Old 09-18-16, 11:59 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

"NORMAL" is a relative term.

If it bothers a Lexus owner AND it is NOT ALL HAPPENING WITHIN THE SAME YEAR AND MODEL/SAME SPECS, then it is NOT NORMAL.

What happened to the "PURSUIT OF PERFECTION"?

According to Wikipedia. ............

The original Lexus slogan, developed after Team One representatives visited Lexus designers in Japan and noted an obsessive attention to detail, became "The Relentless Pursuit of Perfection."[22] The Lexus logo was developed by Molly Designs and Hunter Communications.[23][24] The final design for the Lexus logo featured a stylized “L” within an oval, and according to Toyota, was rendered using a mathematical formula.[18]The first teaser ads featuring the Lexus name and logo, designed by Team One, appeared at the Chicago, Los Angeles, and New York auto shows in 1988.[25]

Originally Posted by Davew77
Normal doesn't mean correct. It probably just means that they have seen it a lot. Which makes it normal.

Last edited by lexusrus; 09-19-16 at 12:07 AM.
Old 09-19-16, 12:04 AM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
"NORMAL" is a relative term.

If it bothers a Lexus owner AND it is NOT ALL HAPPENING WITHIN THE SAME YEAR AND MODEL/SAME SPECS, then it is NOT NORMAL.

What happened to the "PURSUIT OF PERFECTION"?
Sarcasm is dangerous on the internet.

Quick Reply: 2nd gear hesitation/jolt/RPM loss, even after Fuel Pump noise TSB