RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Anyone who had no issue and just pleasure owning RCF?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-17, 01:29 PM
LDEUX
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I purchased mine in Oct of 2015, not a single issue. I have just under 7000 miles (I work from home and it's not my daily driver), great car thus far.
Old 01-11-17, 01:35 PM
keithS
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Purchased mine in Aug of 2015. Zero issues and zero problems. The only thing that was a hiccup was my ipod would intermittently not be recognized by the entertainment system, but I now use my Samsung phone for my music and it works perfectly.
The following users liked this post:
Apone (03-16-19)
Old 01-11-17, 06:32 PM
Danblanco
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Infrared
I've had mine for a year and I'm just under 13,000 miles. The car has been flawless. The brakes squeal ocassionally, but that is not a big deal and I'm sure the next set of pads can address it. I've tracked my car, used it as a daily driver, and have been driving it all over in the snow here in Colorado with Pirelli Sotozero tires. It's the most enjoyable car I've ever owned, by a long shot.

I also have a magnaflow aftermarket exhaust, and it really capitalizes on the V8 sound.

I get compliments and stares literally everywhere I go.

The only reason RC-F's don't fly off the shelf is because of the huge ego of buyers in this class of vehicle. People dropping $80k want to feel they are getting the fastest car in that class for the money, even though no one gives a **** and you're not going to be drag-racing on the street.... I blame auto journalists for missing the true beauty of this car - it's a remarkable GT car. It's heavy because it's solid like a bank vault. No creaks, no rattles, just take-like solidity.

In any case, the RC-F is in its own class.

Exactly!!!!! I Bought mine before I even knew about this forum. This car is remarkable a super fast V8 that you can take to the track every weekend with the reliability of Lexus, please I'm in. Now sure it's not the fastest in its class but lets be real for a minute, most of the time we are talking .10ths of a second difference how would you know unless you are going to the drag strip then I would say buy a different car. Or you live somewhere there is M4's everywhere that you run into at stoplights at the perfect time. Come on, I take this thing to the road track from time to time with faster cars on the track and the RCF is nice with it especially after you slap a Borla on it, ooh weeee. And like you said No squeaks No rattles No troubles!
Old 03-16-19, 12:17 AM
mjn88
Lead Lap

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

Well I got a different answer! I ran my car without an oil change for 16k miles (on accident lol) and recently got a low oil light. Didn’t think much of it, so I added a quart and went on my way. About 2 months later I got another low oil light. I added another quart and went to my mechanic who last did my oil change. He informed me that it was 16k since my last oil change and he checked my oil and told me I was LOW on oil. He topped me off with oil and told me to come back in a week so he could tell me if my car is burning oil. My car has 37k miles and I drive my car super hard the majority of the time. Out here in SoCal there are always people wanting to race! I drive it really aggressively so I’m hoping this could be the issue but I’m very nervous that there could be something more serious going on. I just spoke with a few mechanical engineers who are car savvy and they both told me high performance cars WILL burn oil at high output but if I’m burning a quart or more every 500-1000 miles there’s an issue and that it's BAD. My question is, has anyone else had a oil burning issue with their F? If when I come back to my mechanic he tells me that my car is burning I’m hoping I can part out and take my car into Lexus for warranty (fingers crossed). Which is going to suck *** given my headers will cost me $800-$900 to remove Any feedback is appreciated!!!

Last edited by mjn88; 03-16-19 at 02:38 AM.
Old 03-16-19, 09:56 AM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by mjn88
Well I got a different answer! I ran my car without an oil change for 16k miles (on accident lol) and recently got a low oil light. Didn’t think much of it, so I added a quart and went on my way. About 2 months later I got another low oil light. I added another quart and went to my mechanic who last did my oil change. He informed me that it was 16k since my last oil change and he checked my oil and told me I was LOW on oil. He topped me off with oil and told me to come back in a week so he could tell me if my car is burning oil. My car has 37k miles and I drive my car super hard the majority of the time. Out here in SoCal there are always people wanting to race! I drive it really aggressively so I’m hoping this could be the issue but I’m very nervous that there could be something more serious going on. I just spoke with a few mechanical engineers who are car savvy and they both told me high performance cars WILL burn oil at high output but if I’m burning a quart or more every 500-1000 miles there’s an issue and that it's BAD. My question is, has anyone else had a oil burning issue with their F? If when I come back to my mechanic he tells me that my car is burning I’m hoping I can part out and take my car into Lexus for warranty (fingers crossed). Which is going to suck *** given my headers will cost me $800-$900 to remove Any feedback is appreciated!!!
to be fair, that’s not an “issue”, that’s abuse. Hard running with no oil change on a high performance engine is the definition of automotive abuse. It’s not a problem with the car. If anything it lasted longer than any German engine is likely to have in those conditions. And if you take it apart and then into Lexus and they can tell what you’ve done (they will want proof of maintainence as well) please accept responsibility for what you have done.

hopefully all is fine, you learn and move on. Set a reminder on your phone to check the oil at a sensible interval.
Lammyyy (03-16-19)
Old 03-16-19, 11:36 AM
mjn88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Apone

to be fair, that’s not an “issue”, that’s abuse. Hard running with no oil change on a high performance engine is the definition of automotive abuse. It’s not a problem with the car. If anything it lasted longer than any German engine is likely to have in those conditions. And if you take it apart and then into Lexus and they can tell what you’ve done (they will want proof of maintainence as well) please accept responsibility for what you have done.

hopefully all is fine, you learn and move on. Set a reminder on your phone to check the oil at a sensible interval.
got it! I will be changing my oil ASAP and will make sure to keep changing every 5k! Thanks again! I know I’m a reckless driver but I enjoy driving spirited! I will try to ease my foot from the pedal as I don’t want to endanger myself and anyone around me. Thank you for the feedback!
Old 03-16-19, 11:39 AM
Lammyyy
Pole Position

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

You didn't do an oil change for 16k and you constantly drive it aggressively - that's not an actual "issue", that's you being negligent with your car. Burning a little oil is common in high performance cars (especially if you drive the car aggressively), but don't confuse your lack of basic maintenance with common issues associated with our cars.

Why didn't you just have your mechanic do the oil change right then and there? If my mechanic told me it had been 16k since my last oil change and he topped it off and told me to come back instead of changing the oil, he wouldn't be my mechanic anymore lmao

Hope it works out for you and stay on top of your maintenance

Last edited by Lammyyy; 03-16-19 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-16-19, 08:34 PM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 344 Likes on 226 Posts

Your engine is probably damaged and if so, needs a full rebuild. Ring and cylinder damage and main bearing damage to say the least. Lexus should not have to pay for it and my guess is they will investigate your claim.

I saw you in the other thread asking about oil burning. It now makes sense.

If I was doing a heavy duty service cycle like you, I would change at 3K miles with a full synthetic.

Old 03-16-19, 09:16 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I think the damages are already done to your engine......not changing oil for 16K mikes (probably Dyno oil too)!!! Poor RCF!!! RIP!!!

got it! I will be changing my oil ASAP and will make sure to keep changing every 5k! Thanks again! I know I’m a reckless driver but I enjoy driving spirited! I will try to ease my foot from the pedal as I don’t want to endanger myself and anyone around me. Thank you for the feedback!
Old 03-16-19, 10:14 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Yeah, agreed. Unfortunately, your engine might be toast. It is a very high strung engine and not replacing oil for extending periods of time (while redlining the engine), is going to cause long term harm.
Old 03-17-19, 02:28 AM
mjn88
Lead Lap

Well see. The low oil light comes on after one quart is burned. After 16k miles and aggressive driving, I think the motor is fine.
Old 03-17-19, 08:38 AM
Sit
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Robexus
Hello guys, I ordered my RCF one month ago and will be waiting 4 months to get it. I even did not research this forum, because I took it as obvious to have no issues with Lexus. I had IS250 for 7 years and no issues. However after reading about different issues owners had with 2015 RC-F, I am little in doubt.. I know first model year M4 had issues too, and C63 is burning oil too..
Is RC-F 2016 better / with no issues?
Are your RCFs still burning oil having more miles? (does it take more than 1 QT or 1 Liter per 5000 miles)?
Only issue here, squeaky brakes after a month or so. Dealer said they will swap the pads out for me since I don't track it. Many threads on brakes. I'll have to check the oil, not sure on that.
>>> and will be waiting 4 months to get it.
I ordered mine and it took four months and three weeks to get. Dealer said it would take 3-4 months to get. I live in Ohio so there was some rail time. If your sales person hasn't, they should be able to keep you informed with one of these printouts now and then...

Old 03-18-19, 01:28 PM
sunamer
Advanced

Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts

Mjn88, would you mind posting last 6 digits of your rcf’s VIN here?
The following 3 users liked this post by sunamer:
Apone (03-18-19), arentz07 (04-16-19), Kerune (03-21-19)
Old 03-22-19, 07:05 PM
TOPHER9425
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I have had my RCF for going on 3 years now & 60k miles later....she gets better and better with every mile! No MAJOR ISUUES (Fuel pump TSB, Brake Squeel, Navi screen Anti-Glare failure, and CF door trim and Glove box trim separating....but all covered under warranty). And just to be more secure, I purchased the Lexus Platinum 7yr/125k mile extended warranty. I put on an ARK Burnt titanium cat back, Sikky Intake and she is a BEAST
Old 03-23-19, 02:56 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

Mjn88,
Just FYI my car, when on track, has tons of blow by. Literally like almost a quart in one track day.
But when I’m on the street driving like a sane person, it doesn’t give one drop in the catch can.
The motor is just designed that way.
So if you’re just hard on the gas all the time, you’re gonna lose oil to the intake.
Know that and top off often.

You can try to get the oil tested to see if there’s heavy metals or fuel dilution to determine if the internals has damage.
Good luck.
Lammyyy (03-26-19)

Quick Reply: Anyone who had no issue and just pleasure owning RCF?