RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Get Your RCF ECU Flashed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-16, 08:29 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Hummm...... I'm not sure about the engine braking and NOT rev matching when in AUTO Sports+. Meaning if I'm cruising along at 75mph and I hit the brakes "normally " and not stand on the brakes, I remembered the RCF engine DOES REV MATCH as it downshifts automatically in AUTO .

So what you are saying is that the RCF engie ONLY DOES REV MATCHING if in MANUAL (NOT AUTO) NORMAL, SPORTS, AND SPORTS + MODES? If this is true, then I'm learning new things about thd RCF every time. 😊☺😀😁

Originally Posted by Davew77
If that is true then every time you let off of your gas you are wearing your engine then. That's all engine braking is. I'm not talking about dropping it to 2nd gear at 80 mph and watching the tach bounce off of the limiter.

In any case, the engine and transmission are surely getting more wear from the hard acceleration I do almost every time I accelerate. But I'm sure the car will last until at least 100k miles, even after I boost it. Beyond that I don't care because I'll not likely be the owner anymore.

I've been engine braking since I started driving and I've not ever had anything fail because of it. I'm not saying that it can't happen. I'm saying that I've not ever had it happen.

Edit: I forgot to add that Lexus already has engine braking programmed into the RC F. Every time I use the brakes the transmission automatically downshifts and it doesn't rev match... at least in Sport+ mode, which is all that I use.
Old 09-28-16, 05:52 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Hummm...... I'm not sure about the engine braking and NOT rev matching when in AUTO Sports+. Meaning if I'm cruising along at 75mph and I hit the brakes "normally " and not stand on the brakes, I remembered the RCF engine DOES REV MATCH as it downshifts automatically in AUTO .

So what you are saying is that the RCF engie ONLY DOES REV MATCHING if in MANUAL (NOT AUTO) NORMAL, SPORTS, AND SPORTS + MODES? If this is true, then I'm learning new things about thd RCF every time. 😊☺😀😁
Flowrider said engine braking was bad for your powertrain. I said Lexus programmed the RC F to use engine braking in Sport+ mode. I have no idea about rev matching while cruising... that was not relevant to the discussion. But I do know that it does not rev match while downshifting and you are trying to stop the car. That could be potentially dangerous to apply throttle to a car while trying to stop...

I also do not drive in auto, except when using cruise control. I switch to manual mode as soon as I leave cruise control. So I don't know how it behaves in auto mode. Once again, it is not relevant to the discussion. The discussion was about engine braking and damage to the transmission/engine.
Old 09-28-16, 09:49 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

^^^^Never said it was "bad" per se, what I said was it causes excess wear on the powertrain. That wear in time is more expensive to repair than wear to the braking system.

Lou
Old 09-29-16, 01:20 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Relevant or not, inquirING minds want to know!!!

Can't wait to get back to my RCF aND try iT aND see.

Flowrider said engine braking was bad for your powertrain. I said Lexus programmed the RC F to use engine braking in Sport+ mode. I have no idea about rev matching while cruising... that was not relevant to the discussion. But I do know that it does not rev match while downshifting and you are trying to stop the car. That could be potentially dangerous to apply throttle to a car while trying to stop...

I also do not drive in auto, except when using cruise control. I switch to manual mode as soon as I leave cruise control. So I don't know how it behaves in auto mode. Once again, it is not relevant to the discussion. The discussion was about engine braking and damage to the transmission/engine.
Old 09-29-16, 01:50 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^Never said it was "bad" per se, what I said was it causes excess wear on the powertrain. That wear in time is more expensive to repair than wear to the braking system.

Lou
Fair enough. You are also correct in stating that it is a lot more costly to repair the powertrain than to change the brakes and rotors in a single change/repair.

But, over the life of the car would you spend more total money on brakes and rotors vs. having to repair the powertrain if using engine braking? That's an unknown. Especially since I've not ever had any powertrain failure with any of my vehicles for any reason. If the powertrain finally fails at say 200k miles, is it because of normal wear and tear or because of engine braking?

I'm speaking rhetorically. I don't expect a response because it's pretty much impossible to give a factual answer. Some vehicles can be babied and fail at 10k miles while others can be abused and still be going strong at 100k miles.

However, I will say that if Lexus is purposely using engine braking, and they normally engineer their vehicles to last 200k+ miles, that the powertrain can probably handle engine braking. The powertrain can handle 467 HP being fed through it, so why can't it handle a fraction of that force in the opposite direction?
Old 09-29-16, 08:05 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Yes, over the life of the vehicle more money will be spent on brakes and rotors. I'm beginning to find out with this on my LX570 with PCS where it brakes first to slow down instead of down shift and use engine braking .

Semi trucks use engine braking all the time. So are the vehicles with the traditional manual stick shift. All seemed to survived engine braking with no problems. Maybe these vehicles are built differently? More hardy and real tuff? IDK.

These days with all the electronics on board vehicles, it does not take much to have something go wrong without warnings.

But one thing for sure, the RCF drive train components are made to last much longer, say compared to anything KIA OR HYUNDIA makes. I know it is not apples to apples comparison. All I'm saying is a reputable car maker like Lexus tested its vehicles extensively before releasing to the market unlike some of the other makers take it to thecextreme by making calculated risk assessments versus how much profit to gain before discovery by the public. I know Lexus may do this also, maybe just on a lesser degree?

I think we should just drive the RFC like the Lexus engineers designed and envisioned and not keep worrying about it.

Fair enough. You are also correct in stating that it is a lot more costly to repair the powertrain than to change the brakes and rotors in a single change/repair.

But, over the life of the car would you spend more total money on brakes and rotors vs. having to repair the powertrain if using engine braking? That's an unknown. Especially since I've not ever had any powertrain failure with any of my vehicles for any reason. If the powertrain finally fails at say 200k miles, is it because of normal wear and tear or because of engine braking?

I'm speaking rhetorically. I don't expect a response because it's pretty much impossible to give a factual answer. Some vehicles can be babied and fail at 10k miles while others can be abused and still be going strong at 100k miles.

However, I will say that if Lexus is purposely using engine braking, and they normally engineer their vehicles to last 200k+ miles, that the powertrain can probably handle engine braking. The powertrain can handle 467 HP being fed through it, so why can't it handle a fraction of that force in the opposite direction?

Last edited by lexusrus; 09-29-16 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-30-16, 03:06 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Yes, over the life of the vehicle more money will be spent on brakes and rotors. I'm beginning to find out with this on my LX570 with PCS where it brakes first to slow down instead of down shift and use engine braking .

Semi trucks use engine braking all the time. So are the vehicles with the traditional manual stick shift. All seemed to survived engine braking with no problems. Maybe these vehicles are built differently? More hardy and real tuff? IDK.

These days with all the electronics on board vehicles, it does not take much to have something go wrong without warnings.

But one thing for sure, the RCF drive train components are made to last much longer, say compared to anything KIA OR HYUNDIA makes. I know it is not apples to apples comparison. All I'm saying is a reputable car maker like Lexus tested its vehicles extensively before releasing to the market unlike some of the other makers take it to thecextreme by making calculated risk assessments versus how much profit to gain before discovery by the public. I know Lexus may do this also, maybe just on a lesser degree?

I think we should just drive the RFC like the Lexus engineers designed and envisioned and not keep worrying about it.
That aspect is probably true as well. The only vehicles I have owned that I used engine braking on were manual transmission sports cars which also had tougher than usual drivetrain components. 4 Camaros and 2 350zs.

But make no mistake, I'm not worried about it. In fact, I intend to push more power out of my car than probably anyone else on this forum. If nothing in the drivetrain breaks in the process, I will be amazed! Of course, I will follow my tuner's advice and replace anything they recommend beforehand.
Old 09-30-16, 05:08 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Thumbs up

X2 .

For those who don't want to do the reflash bc it ain't broke.............well, I don't know if Lexus will still cover it AFTER warranty is expired? Also in the meantime...........as already said, enjoy the lag.

What about the fact that if the folks who did not go for the reflash get a malfunction fuel pump down the road (especially after warranty expiration) and Lexus refuses to cover the fuel pump, especially Lexus had announced a fix for the fuel pump?

The only items that I think one would lose is the time taken to go the Lexus dealer and the 2-3 mpg decrease after the ECU reflash. But these are very small price paid for a much smoother running RCF. After all, we all did get the most powerful CURRENTLY in production Lexus OUT HERE. So why not enjoy the RCF to the fullest extent possible with minimum expense?

Originally Posted by Carnevino
Mine didn't have the noise, but the lag was present for sure. I'm a VERY good customer at my dealer and pay cash for my cars....maybe they treat me differently. I called him up and explained the TSB after seeing it posted here on our forum. I told him I didn't have a noise but read where others didn't either but they also noticed the lag was gone and better performance from the vehicle. He basically said since it's a TSB for all 2015 & 2016 RCF's and the GSF they would do it. I don't see how a dealership could refuse to do it for some of you. I'd demand it. For those that say don't fix it unless it's broke......well enjoy your lag. I think most of you who are regulars on here know I'm not a Bs'er..... I'm telling you guys the lag is COMPLETELY gone. I've given you the info, do with it what you please.
The following users liked this post:
shadow1118 (12-26-16)
Old 09-30-16, 09:12 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

X2 .

For those who don't want to do the reflash bc it ain't broke.............well, I don't know if Lexus will still cover it AFTER warranty is expired? Also in the meantime...........as already said, enjoy the lag.

What about the fact that if the folks who did not go for the reflash get a malfunction fuel pump down the road (especially after warranty expiration) and Lexus refuses to cover the fuel pump, especially Lexus had announced a fix for the fuel pump?

The only items that I think one would lose is the time taken to go the Lexus dealer and the 2-3 mpg decrease after the ECU reflash. But these are very small price paid for a much smoother running RCF. After all, we all did get the most powerful CURRENTLY in production Lexus OUT HERE. So why not enjoy the RCF to the fullest extent possible with minimum expense?
I did say if it ain't broke, I'm not fixing it. "Ain't broke" means there are zero problems, no fuel pump noise, no lag in auto or manual. I did turn off the ECO and the accelerator seems to be more sensitive.
Old 02-02-17, 06:45 PM
toystry
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnevino
For those that haven't read about the fuel pump TSB reflash.....call your dealer and go now! It totally eliminated the transmission hesitation. Car runs like a beast now. Giddy up fellas!
Just had mine done and all I can say is WOW what a difference. Lexus of San Diego in Clairmont Mesa did mine.
Old 01-19-18, 09:12 PM
phm14
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just had TSB 3116 completed on my '16. Did seem to help. BTW, as of this date, that's the only TSB I've been able to locate on the RCF.
Old 01-19-18, 09:31 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Gents - the reflash does NOTHING for the transmission. They remove the battery cable as part of the reflash, so you get a "back to initial settings" reset when they do the reflash. If you think your gearbox is acting up, just disconnect the battery for a minute (60 seconds), and try again. Nothing in the fuel pump reflash changes the TCU software.