RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Get Your RCF ECU Flashed!

Old 09-06-16, 07:27 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Here is the paperwork I got back after the reflash.

Originally Posted by Carnevino
For those that haven't read about the fuel pump TSB reflash.....call your dealer and go now! It totally eliminated the transmission hesitation. Car runs like a beast now. Giddy up fellas!
Attached Thumbnails Get Your RCF ECU Flashed!-rc-f-10k-miles-service-with-fuel-pump-ecu-reflash_08.23.2016.jpg  

Last edited by lexusrus; 09-06-16 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-06-16, 07:47 PM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnevino
So I w t back and read the last few pages of the "Fuel Pump " thread, and starting on page 26 there's at least half a dozen forum members all agreeing the update has fixed the lag issue on the RCF. I knew I wasn't crazy
Unfortunately, didn't help my hesitation. I don't notice any difference. I wonder if they even did the reflash like they stated?
Old 09-06-16, 09:01 PM
jbwilmoth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ne1tHeRe
Unfortunately, didn't help my hesitation. I don't notice any difference. I wonder if they even did the reflash like they stated?
It sounds like they didn't do the flash. You would know if they did...it completely diminishes the lag issue. It honestly feels like a completely different car. I met a guy the other day that traded his RC F for the GS F because he said the RC F just wasn't as fun to drive and didn't seem to jump off the line like it should....I let him drive my RC F and he agreed.....completely different car.

i wasn't even going to say anything about it, but my dealer heard the fuel pump when doing service. Happy they did.
Old 09-07-16, 09:52 AM
SmurFPwr
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

this is good to know. I have noticed the slight hiccup in 2nd between 2000-2500rpm is this the hesitation that people are speaking about?
Old 09-07-16, 06:51 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by SmurFPwr
this is good to know. I have noticed the slight hiccup in 2nd between 2000-2500rpm is this the hesitation that people are speaking about?
Aaaaah, but now comes the issue of Whether or Not your Dealership Will or Will Not do it! Keep us informed
Old 09-09-16, 04:45 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

Well I went to my dealer today to see if they would do the TSB but no luck. Said they wouldn't do it unless obvious symptoms.
My car does not have any whine/noise/fuel pump issues. Was just wanting it done to see if I can improve the throttle response.
I told them there was lag in 2nd gear. Tech drove it and said no prob found...
Truth be told the lag in my opinion isn't that bad. Wonder if it really varies that much from car to car? I can feel just a bit in normal mode but in S mode it is next to none imo.

So...you peeps out there that have the Apexi throttle thing, did that not already fix the lag or was ya'lls cars still lagging even with that installed?
Was thinking about getting that thing but my car seems pretty good as is.
Old 09-09-16, 07:18 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Maybe go to another Lexus dealer? ???

Originally Posted by Mingofish
Well I went to my dealer today to see if they would do the TSB but no luck. Said they wouldn't do it unless obvious symptoms.
My car does not have any whine/noise/fuel pump issues. Was just wanting it done to see if I can improve the throttle response.
Truth be told the lag in my opinion isn't that bad. Wonder if it really varies that much from car to car? I can feel just a bit in normal mode but in S mode it is next to none imo.

So...you peeps out there that have the Apexi throttle thing, did that not already fix the lag or was ya'lls cars still lagging even with that installed?
Old 09-10-16, 01:43 AM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mingofish

First, don't ever say anything else but the exact issue that the TSB addresses. Which is, my secondary fuel pump is making terrible noises and I need the TSB done to eliminate this issue. If the dealer refuses you tell them this....good thing I still haven't filled out that survey Lexus sent me last time I was in here for service. If you want to refuse me a TSB that cost your dealership $0 I can no longer purchase my cars from here but not to worry I will continue to service my vehicles just so I can keep filling out those surveys.
Old 09-10-16, 06:31 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBFSPORT
First, don't ever say anything else but the exact issue that the TSB addresses. Which is, my secondary fuel pump is making terrible noises and I need the TSB done to eliminate this issue. If the dealer refuses you tell them this....good thing I still haven't filled out that survey Lexus sent me last time I was in here for service. If you want to refuse me a TSB that cost your dealership $0 I can no longer purchase my cars from here but not to worry I will continue to service my vehicles just so I can keep filling out those surveys.
^^ This.

I told them of an intermittent noise coming from the rear and that I "stumbled" onto this TSB. They had never heard about this before (yeah right) but did not hesitate to flash it.

My theory to why they're avoiding to make this a major issue is because of the higher idle/slightly lower MPG that has been reported post-flash, not to mention suffering an overall reliability rating. Is it possible that the production ECU was tweaked just a little too much to make certain EPA/MPG guidelines? Who knows but it wouldn't surprise me.
Old 09-10-16, 12:04 PM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

good point. I have the apexi throttle controller and pretty much keep it on at all times. not sure if i want this flash or not.

Originally Posted by lexusnutt
^^ This.

I told them of an intermittent noise coming from the rear and that I "stumbled" onto this TSB. They had never heard about this before (yeah right) but did not hesitate to flash it.

My theory to why they're avoiding to make this a major issue is because of the higher idle/slightly lower MPG that has been reported post-flash, not to mention suffering an overall reliability rating. Is it possible that the production ECU was tweaked just a little too much to make certain EPA/MPG guidelines? Who knows but it wouldn't surprise me.
Old 09-10-16, 12:13 PM
CYKBC
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnutt
Is it possible that the production ECU was tweaked just a little too much to make certain EPA/MPG guidelines? Who knows but it wouldn't surprise me.
If this were true and the gain is more power for a little less efficiency, I'd get it flashed; however, my RCF has been fuel pump noise-free 10K miles and 1 year young so staying on the sidelines for now.
Old 09-11-16, 12:15 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,511 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by CYKBC
If this were true and the gain is more power for a little less efficiency, I'd get it flashed; however, my RCF has been fuel pump noise-free 10K miles and 1 year young so staying on the sidelines for now.
Mine was also noise free when I got it done. Do you experience the "lag" or "hesitation" at lower rpm, low speed conditions?
Old 09-11-16, 01:24 PM
NickZ
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
Mine was also noise free when I got it done. Do you experience the "lag" or "hesitation" at lower rpm, low speed conditions?
You'll notice it most in normal mode lugging the motor around and then trying to accelerate from the 1200-1500 rpm range. It'll feel like the engine looses fuel.
Old 09-11-16, 01:38 PM
CYKBC
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
None at all.
Old 09-12-16, 06:11 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by CYKBC
None at all.
I never really noticed lag either except downshift hesitation going around corners in normal mode at lower speeds and trying to hit it mid corner. That was back in March/April of 2015 and I have since stayed in Sports +.

No noise and I use crappy, cheap Kroger gas. Perhaps the good stuff (Shell) has detergents that kept the idle smoother and lower causing the fuel pump to nearly lose prime.

My RC F has been parked here lately, stuck on 29k for maybe 2 months. Will ask for flash if and when I finally hit 30k.

Has anyone post flash noticed a difference in shifting maybe 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th or downshifting quickness?

I always felt the tranny could benefit from a reflash for certain shifts. Lexus clearly did not optimize the tranny mapping for performance in my opinion. While my wife loves the RCF tranny, I think it is the weakest link in the car, but could easily be improved. One glaring difference I noticed between Lexus and true performance car makers with more experience in this market is that other makers are constantly tweaking to make their new model releases better after release and reflashes are not uncommon at all.

I have spoken to several Lexus techs/employees, but Lexus seems to just stick its head and the sand about such performance related issues and perhaps is focusing on or concerned more about sacrificing performance for reliability and keeping everything in a very conservative range.

Last edited by DougHII; 09-12-16 at 06:23 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Get Your RCF ECU Flashed!