RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Brake Dust - Testing Armor All Repellent

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-16, 08:09 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Default Update 3

@JT4 - Nice, three years of using AA protectant tells me it's a great product. And on that note, here's Update 3.

Drove about 25 km (16 miles) city driving and some small sporadic accumulations of brake dust are visible from up close. Otherwise wheel is about 90% dust-free at the front and close to 100% at the rear.

Shown below is the same wheel as the above updates, front driver. And as a testament to how well this product is working, take a look at all the brake dust in the inner wheel!

The following users liked this post:
Lex76 (07-11-19)
Old 09-02-16, 05:32 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Nice. appreciate the research!

Lex76 (07-11-19)
Old 09-02-16, 05:53 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
@JT4 - Nice, three years of using AA protectant tells me it's a great product. And on that note, here's Update 3.

Drove about 25 km (16 miles) city driving and some small sporadic accumulations of brake dust are visible from up close. Otherwise wheel is about 90% dust-free at the front and close to 100% at the rear.

Shown below is the same wheel as the above updates, front driver. And as a testament to how well this product is working, take a look at all the brake dust in the inner wheel!
Not that it matters but I stand corrected. My oldest son reminded me that it's been over 5 years because I first started using it on the 2011 C6 Grand Sport that I had before my CTS-V. I usually stock up on it because from time to time it is difficult to get here locally.

BTW- since you see some small amounts of dust, if you wipe the dust away from the area you will need to reapply the protectant to the area you wipe. Instead just spray the wheel with a hose and watch the water and dust glide off wheel.

Then use a left blower to remove any water from the wheel, this will give you another week (+ / -) before you will need to clean and treat the entire wheel again.

This wheel was treated with the AA and driven approx 60 miles and no dust. Anyone with Hi-performance brakes know that usually you can't drive two blocks without seeing dust.

Last edited by JT4; 09-02-16 at 06:03 AM.
Lex76 (07-11-19)
Old 09-02-16, 09:25 AM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I must get me a can of this asap!
Lex76 (07-11-19)
Old 09-02-16, 04:25 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

That looks Awesome, i can't see any of the spray on the wheels or tires. It's usually hard to spray the wheels without getting it on the tires also. I'd be interested to see somebody do the front wheels, one with it & one without it for say 60 miles & then see the difference! How much does a can of this cost?
Lex76 (07-11-19)
Old 09-02-16, 04:58 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

I just looked on their website & these were the only 3 they had, the middle one says Quicksilver but the last one looks like it's for the Brake Dust.
Looks like they've changed it to Outlast now?
Attached Thumbnails Brake Dust - Testing Armor All Repellent-img_2356.jpg  
Lex76 (07-11-19)
Old 09-03-16, 02:40 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Default Update 4

In Canada, it's about $15 a can. Picked mine up at Canadian Tire. I used what feels like about a third of the can to do one application on all four wheels.

As for my next update (4), here's the pic. This is after about 40 km (25 miles) mostly city driving. Barely any worse from my last update.

Lex76 (07-11-19)
Old 09-03-16, 02:58 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

C, that's Awesome Buddy! Since i got the CT's i don't have much dust but if i still had the oem's i'd definitely be getting some of this stuff. Before i got the CT's I tried some of the Armor All's Wheel Protectant & it Sucked, it left a Milky Residue & i didn't help at all & it looked like crap (i probably put it on a lil' heavy the first time & then tried putting a thin layer on the next time & it still didn't help & still had the milky residue) It says it's supposed to Repel Brake Dust, Road Grime & Dirt but i wasn't impressed with it at all. Maybe that's why they changed it to what you've got!
Old 09-03-16, 07:07 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^It's possible the formula was different in the past. Who knows, but if the formula in the US today is the same as the can I bought here in Canada, man it's worth it. It's been a week and barely any visible dust where by now I would have had to wipe clean my wheels at least twice. As this rate, the claim of "up to one month" is credible.
Old 09-03-16, 08:06 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

^^^It's possible the formula was different in the past. Who knows, but if the formula in the US today is the same as the can I bought here in Canada, man it's worth it. It's been a week and barely any visible dust where by now I would have had to wipe clean my wheels at least twice. As this rate, the claim of "up to one month" is credible.
this is the can, this stuff SUX!
Attached Thumbnails Brake Dust - Testing Armor All Repellent-fullsizerender-7-.jpg  
Old 09-03-16, 09:12 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

Thanks for this info. Never thought about dust repellant. In the US we may have a different formula called outlast.

These guys tested it on a corvette and drove for 400 miles and 3 days and they said NO brake dust on the treated side. Not less brake dust.
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/does-...ellent-tested/
Lex76 (07-11-19)
Old 09-03-16, 09:31 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Originally Posted by LXSDO
Thanks for this info. Never thought about dust repellant. In the US we may have a different formula called outlast.

These guys tested it on a corvette and drove for 400 miles and 3 days and they said NO brake dust on the treated side. Not less brake dust.
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/does-...ellent-tested/

Not sure what you're talkin' about but this isn't Quicksilver like the OP posted. And i'm in the US & you saw the one i posted for the brake dust, etc... if you want, try it out i just was not impressed!
Old 09-03-16, 09:58 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
Not sure what you're talkin' about but this isn't Quicksilver like the OP posted. And i'm in the US & you saw the one i posted for the brake dust, etc... if you want, try it out i just was not impressed!
i think we don't have the quicksilver product but there's a different product than the one you used. It's called Outlast Armor All Brake Dust Repellant. Which is a different product from the one you used. I think this one is fairly new.

Just posting the article where those guys tested a similar product on their Corvette with good results.
Old 09-04-16, 09:57 AM
johnnyreb
Racer

Originally Posted by LXSDO
i think we don't have the quicksilver product but there's a different product than the one you used. It's called Outlast Armor All Brake Dust Repellant. Which is a different product from the one you used. I think this one is fairly new.

Just posting the article where those guys tested a similar product on their Corvette with good results.
Kinda hard to argue with those results! you had to look pretty hard to even see the brake dust, even on the un-taped side. If you drove the RCF for even 100 miles it would have looked a lot worse than that vette did. He said that armor all just came out with it, so it may have replaced the one i used. If you have a problem with brake dust i'd definitely give it a try.
Old 09-04-16, 10:32 AM
ba2sy
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I just bought the Amorall (Not QuickSilver tho) and Code Red. I will be dismounting my wheels this month for suspension job so, we will see how it goes. lol!

Quick Reply: Brake Dust - Testing Armor All Repellent