RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Fun ride to work

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-16, 07:33 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Fun ride to work

Had a little fun with a stingray at the red light. Went from a 10mph roll and I pulled half a car at the end of second gear when I let off. The retired old guy wouldn't even look over when I gave him the thumbs up haha. I think he is headed back to the Chevy dealership

*happpend on the great roads of Mexico
Old 08-26-16, 09:39 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What few of the critics mention in car reviews is the difficult of getting many of these beast to grip the asphalt and put down the power.

The RC F does a magnificent job--unless you enter the "Happy" mode beyond Expert mode--as Ben Collins calls it.

The RC F is quick and even "quicker" since they did the reflash for the ECU. A Saleen Mustang (it was not the 750 hp mega muscle gunning for the Hellcat) was not very happy with me last week.

Originally Posted by ssmoked
Had a little fun with a stingray at the red light. Went from a 10mph roll and I pulled half a car at the end of second gear when I let off. The retired old guy wouldn't even look over when I gave him the thumbs up haha. I think he is headed back to the Chevy dealership

Old 08-26-16, 09:53 AM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Roll races are more about gearing and hp. I gave up using 0-60 and 1/4 times as indicators of how fast a car is. Instead, I use trap speed. I've surprised many awd cars like, EVOs, STi, etc because they have great RT and 1/4 times, but low traps.
Old 08-26-16, 10:53 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ISF001
What few of the critics mention in car reviews is the difficult of getting many of these beast to grip the asphalt and put down the power.

The RC F does a magnificent job--unless you enter the "Happy" mode beyond Expert mode--as Ben Collins calls it.

The RC F is quick and even "quicker" since they did the reflash for the ECU. A Saleen Mustang (it was not the 750 hp mega muscle gunning for the Hellcat) was not very happy with me last week.
rcf definately doesn't put the power down well with stock size tire. I can feel spin and see burnout marks in the rear view mirror while WOT in second gear. Starting in first gear, forget it. I leave smokey burnout and fishtail from a stop.
A roll race most definitely measures the power better between two cars
Old 08-26-16, 11:33 AM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I've never had a sports car that I could floor in first gear without breaking traction.

Also, wider tire size means more rolling resistance which means it requires more power to accelerate at the same rate. You will get a better launch, but worse top end (especially noticeable in the triple digits).

You have to decide what is more important to you. It seems you would rather drag race your RC F, and that's fine. I race in the top end, and I have few problems with launching the car now that I've gotten used to the pedal feel. I'm happy with the stock tire size.
Old 08-26-16, 11:46 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Davew77
I've never had a sports car that I could floor in first gear without breaking traction.

Also, wider tire size means more rolling resistance which means it requires more power to accelerate at the same rate. You will get a better launch, but worse top end (especially noticeable in the triple digits).

You have to decide what is more important to you. It seems you would rather drag race your RC F, and that's fine. I race in the top end, and I have few problems with launching the car now that I've gotten used to the pedal feel. I'm happy with the stock tire size.
my 370z with 285s rear tire well in the perfect operating temp on a warm day would not break traction in first gear. That car is also 3300lb and 332hp. I will guage how much more rolling resistance when I put 305s on the rear with mpg. I mostly use the power under 80, as anything above that would land me behind bars
Old 08-26-16, 12:22 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

my 370z with 285s rear tire well in the perfect operating temp on a warm day would not break traction in first gear. That car is also 3300lb and 332hp. I will guage how much more rolling resistance when I put 305s on the rear with mpg. I mostly use the power under 80, as anything above that would land me behind bars
Apples to oranges.You are comparing to a car with wider tires that has 71% of the HP with 83% of the weight. There are other factors as well. Such as weight distribution and RWHP.

My 2007 350z had no problem breaking traction when completely stock and I could still cut a 2.0 60' on the 18" stock wheels (245s IIRC). Once I put a turbo on it I would break tread if floored in 3rd gear at 80 mph.

Do what you want. I'm not trying to stop you. But I personally do not see a NEED for wider tires. YMMV.

As for jail... lawyer. If they catch you that is.
Old 08-26-16, 02:27 PM
LexusRCF15
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ISF001 what ECU reflash are u referring to? Was there an update (TSB) that your dealer performed that I'm unaware of...Thx
Old 08-26-16, 05:20 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Yes, there is a ECU reflash regarding the fuel pump. I had mine done recently with my 10k mile service. I told the Lexus dealer that I saw a TSB on the ECU reflash on the fuel pump and I hear a noise in the back seat. They just went ahead and did it along with my 10k service. My RC-F seems to run smoother....IDK, maybe all in my head. Lol.

I will try to find the posting on the fuel pump ECU reflash and post later.

Originally Posted by LexusRCF15
ISF001 what ECU reflash are u referring to? Was there an update (TSB) that your dealer performed that I'm unaware of...Thx

Last edited by lexusrus; 08-26-16 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-26-16, 08:30 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusRCF15
I saw this & got all Excited, oh well i'll keep my fingers crossed!
Old 08-26-16, 08:34 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

couldn't resist! he gave it to you, you just missed it.
Attached Thumbnails Fun ride to work-img_1163.jpg  
Old 08-27-16, 03:47 AM
ba2sy
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Yes, there is a ECU reflash regarding the fuel pump. I had mine done recently with my 10k mile service. I told the Lexus dealer that I saw a TSB on the ECU reflash on the fuel pump and I hear a noise in the back seat. They just went ahead and did it along with my 10k service. My RC-F seems to run smoother....IDK, maybe all in my head. Lol.

I will try to find the posting on the fuel pump ECU reflash and post later.
Which dealership?
Old 08-27-16, 08:37 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Default ECU FUEL PUMP reflash TSB info

TSB info

Publication_Number: 'L-SB-0031-16'.

Vehicle Applicability: ''15-'16 RC F, 16' GS F'.

T3_ID: '16-TMS-0039-L'. Publication_Number: 'L-SB-0031-16'
Old 08-27-16, 08:38 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Check your PM I just sent you.

Originally Posted by ba2sy
Which dealership?
Old 08-27-16, 06:42 PM
johnnyreb
Racer