RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Carbotech 1521 problems. Unhappy buyer.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-16, 08:02 AM
skipetenj
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

I went with Endless MX 72 - no noise - great feel - no sensor problems - the dust level seems to be a little less then stock.
Old 08-10-16, 11:28 AM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by skipetenj
I went with Endless MX 72 - no noise - great feel - no sensor problems - the dust level seems to be a little less then stock.
Yup! Just swapped out mine too. I didnt swamp rotors, as I was told i could get another pad out of them before replacing. I will be doing the same rotors soon.

I am familiar with your car, yet dont know you. We should talk more off-line. ~JB
Old 08-10-16, 07:02 PM
Isfast
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

I Have had Carbotechs on my 2008 ISF, 2011 ISF and now the RCF. I have had no issues with the pad except on the RCF, I had to dremel the backplate for the connector. But this took 10 seconds a plate. Also the pad characteristics are different from stock. I hated how grabby the stock pads are initially. The carbotechs were much easier to modulate with brake pressure. It just feels like the brakes are worse due to the lack of initial bite.
Old 08-12-16, 07:55 PM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I swapped out for Carbotech early on and except for the noted issue with the connector, which as others have mentioned and you wouldn't expect for $500 +, I am happy with the braking characteristics. I'm into them about 20K miles at this point. The OEM Brembos are exceptionally dusty, got tired of that real quick. My two cents.
Old 08-26-16, 07:46 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Davew77
Yeah... I'll be staying away from those.

I'm happy with the OEM pads anyhow. As for the brake dust, that's my detailer's problem.
I had to put air in all of my tires today and I accidently touched one of the rims while doing so. I immediately noticed a thick coating of dust on my rims and it reminded me of this thread. I'll be visiting the detailer again in about 2 weeks, so he should be thrilled to see me!

I still have no squeaks with the factory pads...
Old 08-26-16, 08:20 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I had to put air in all of my tires today and I accidently touched one of the rims while doing so. I immediately noticed a thick coating of dust on my rims and it reminded me of this thread. I'll be visiting the detailer again in about 2 weeks, so he should be thrilled to see me!

I still have no squeaks with the factory pads...
You're one of the fortunate ones (not to have any squealing with the oem pads) as far as the dust problem, i couldn't imagine going 2 wks without cleaning them (detailer or no detailer). I LOVE my CarboTechs, NO Dust NO Squealing & i haven't noticed any significant difference in stopping power.
Old 08-27-16, 09:46 AM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
You're one of the fortunate ones (not to have any squealing with the oem pads) as far as the dust problem, i couldn't imagine going 2 wks without cleaning them (detailer or no detailer). I LOVE my CarboTechs, NO Dust NO Squealing & i haven't noticed any significant difference in stopping power.
Luckily the brake dust appears to be the same color as the finish on the standard OEM rims that came on the car. I can't really see the dust unless I look really close. I just run through a car wash every 1-2 days. But obviously it does not clean off the dust.
Old 08-27-16, 06:34 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Luckily the brake dust appears to be the same color as the finish on the standard OEM rims that came on the car. I can't really see the dust unless I look really close. I just run through a car wash every 1-2 days. But obviously it does not clean off the dust.
You're right about the dust, even before i got the CarboTechs it blended in so well with my OEM's you couldn't really tell they were so bad. That's one of the reasons i like the 10 spokes so much better than the others is cause they are sooooooo much Easier to clean. But as far as car washes, MINE will NEVER go thru one!
Old 08-28-16, 06:32 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

I had my car completely Opti Coated including the wheels and calipers and a high pressure hose cleans 90% of the dust. I'll clean the wheels every 3rd wash or so.
Old 08-28-16, 11:06 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I have never noticed brake noise . . ., but wife has mentioned it several times hen she drives the car because she thinks it already needs new pads again. I guess is is a matter of perception, although I did notice rather loud squealing when I first purchased the car during the first 1,000 miles or so on a few occasions. Seems like it went away and I did not have any issues after the last brake job.

I had suggested carbotech to my indie shop guy when doing the brakes a few months ago. He said stay away and use the OEM FWIW. Lol, I was going to do it to save money as I had no issue with noise.

Last edited by DougHII; 08-28-16 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-28-16, 07:28 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
You're right about the dust, even before i got the CarboTechs it blended in so well with my OEM's you couldn't really tell they were so bad. That's one of the reasons i like the 10 spokes so much better than the others is cause they are sooooooo much Easier to clean. But as far as car washes, MINE will NEVER go thru one!
I don't have a choice with the car wash. I don't have the time to wash my car myself while I'm working. I also daily drive my RC F, so it's getting road abuse anyway (rocks, etc..). So far I'm averaging around 3k miles per month. I work 7 days per week while on contract and I'm staying 30 miles from the job site.

If I get different rims though I will keep some dusters handy and dust the rims daily. It takes all of 5 minutes and makes a huge difference. I may even CQuartz the rims.

But I'll not go ceramic. Even if the braking power is only marginally weaker, it only takes that one time when you need to stop sooner... then you'd be wishing that dust was your only problem.

Edit: But I also drive my car hard and fast quite often. I need the best brakes for any condition and at any speed the car is capable of.

Last edited by Davew77; 08-28-16 at 07:59 PM.