RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Rcf vs camaro ss

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-16, 05:37 PM
Danblanco
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rcf vs camaro ss

I would first like to apologize for no video but I didn't have go pro with me. Anyway I may or may not know a law enforcement officer 1 town over who has a new CAMARO SS well he may or may not got us a clear straight path on a wide street with NO TRAFFIC for us to play for a little while. Well we ran 3 times on an isolated road that is probably about just short of 1/2 mile. 1st run was from 10mph he cracked out first on the second honk instead of the third lol so he stretched out about a 1&1/2 cars and stayed there until we got to about 100-110mph then I started pulling on him slowly which I was shocked. When I got about within 1 car of him it was time to start slowing down. 2nd run was same thing 10mph start except we left at about the same time I may have been about nose ahead when we cracked, I got out about 1/2 car and I couldn't shake him until the same thing 110mph I start slowly pulling. 3rd and last run was from the dig he spun to bad on the start and I was gone he couldn't run me down. I must say I didn't buy this thing for drag racing, I am more into road racing but I couldn't pass up this opportunity. It seemed to be a pretty even match in my opinion. Lots of fun Lol
Old 08-06-16, 06:38 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

This proves that in the real world, cars in this league are about equal when stock and the most important mod is the driver one. I just wish there was a video of the runs.
Old 08-06-16, 07:25 PM
Danblanco
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexura1414
This proves that in the real world, cars in this league are about equal when stock and the most important mod is the driver one. I just wish there was a video of the runs.
Yeah, because the camaro SS I believe is pretty quick. Maybe a better driver would've killed me, not sure. I prefer the track because a decent driver mod is a must! LOL
Old 08-06-16, 07:38 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Danblanco
Yeah, because the camaro SS I believe is pretty quick. Maybe a better driver would've killed me, not sure. I prefer the track because a decent driver mod is a must! LOL
I lifted below from Car and Driver:

"The coupe’s 4.0-second zero-to-60-mph time is only 0.1 second behind what we measured in the eight-speed-automatic-equipped Camaro SS featured in our latest Mustang-versus-Camaro cage match. Our long-termer’s quarter-mile time matched that car at 12.3 seconds while smoking through the traps at 118 mph, 2 mph faster. More notably, it’s only 0.1 second and 1 mph behind the last Corvette Stingray we tested.

Zero to 60 mph: 4.0 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 8.8 sec
Zero to 120 mph: 12.8 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 4.8 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 9.2 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 8.6 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.3 sec @ 118 mph
Top speed (C/D est): 165 mph

Magazine racing tells us that Camaro SS will slaughter the RC-F. Real life, NOT really. Or you must be a really good driver! But even M4 drivers are saying that they mostly have won against the Camaro.
Something is not right. Maybe, the tested Camaros by the magazines were ringers and prepped by the factory?

Old 08-06-16, 07:46 PM
Danblanco
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexura1414
I lifted below from Car and Driver:

"The coupe’s 4.0-second zero-to-60-mph time is only 0.1 second behind what we measured in the eight-speed-automatic-equipped Camaro SS featured in our latest Mustang-versus-Camaro cage match. Our long-termer’s quarter-mile time matched that car at 12.3 seconds while smoking through the traps at 118 mph, 2 mph faster. More notably, it’s only 0.1 second and 1 mph behind the last Corvette Stingray we tested.

Zero to 60 mph: 4.0 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 8.8 sec
Zero to 120 mph: 12.8 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 4.8 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 9.2 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 8.6 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.3 sec @ 118 mph
Top speed (C/D est): 165 mph

Magazine racing tells us that Camaro SS will slaughter the RC-F. Real life, NOT really. Or you must be a really good driver! But even M4 drivers are saying that they mostly have won against the Camaro.
Something is not right. Maybe, the tested Camaros by the magazines were ringers and prepped by the factory?
I saw that as well, like I said maybe it needed another driver LOL. I do have a Borla exhaust, apexi speed controller, and K&N air filter maybe that kept me in the mix a little.
Old 08-07-16, 03:14 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Driver mod is always the most important one. I have beaten many cars in my years that should have beaten me.

Now if the opponent's car is capable of running a 1/4 mile 2 seconds faster than you, then the driver would have to be the worst in the world for you to win. But .5 seconds? I've won against those odds many times. Although, I did have a manual transmission and I know how to drive it. I'm still getting used to this auto and the way the throttle works in the RC F (it's a lot different feel than I'm used to).

Last edited by Davew77; 08-07-16 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-07-16, 06:06 PM
Danblanco
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Davew77
Driver mod is always the most important one. I have beaten many cars in my years that should have beaten me.

Now if the opponent's car is capable of running a 1/4 mile 2 seconds faster than you, then the driver would have to be the worst in the world for you to win. But .5 seconds? I've won against those odds many times. Although, I did have a manual transmission and I know how to drive it. I'm still getting used to this auto and the way the throttle works in the RC F (it's a lot different feel than I'm used to).
Yeah that 1st gear in the RC F is something else, I am still getting adjusted to it as well. I haven't tried it without the traction control I am sure that is gonna be interesting as well LOL
Old 08-07-16, 06:55 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Yeah that 1st gear in the RC F is something else, I am still getting adjusted to it as well. I haven't tried it without the traction control I am sure that is gonna be interesting as well LOL
Oh yeah, anytime I want to race I turn it off. In fact, I'm pretty sure mine will shift into 2nd gear if I floor it at any time while in 1st gear with it on. Which is going to really hurt my launch. It also feels like it's being held back a little on the throttle with the taction control on. When I turn it off I chirp the tires at any rpm in 1st gear if I floor it and I always get a 2nd gear chirp on shift with it floored (sometimes even a little side kick). I need to find the sweet spot on the throttle...

I also haven't tracked it yet. I'll be hitting the drag strip when I get back to FL. I didn't buy it for drag racing, but I always take my rides to the strip a few times.
Old 08-07-16, 07:52 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

There is a lot more involved in a 1/4 mile run than just the driver. With all condition (road surface, elevation, humidity...) being equal with side by side run between 2 cars, tire brand and tread depth, system preparation (launch control setup) also play a big factor.

I had many controlled runs, with burnout, on the drag strip with the Rcf and I can't break 12.8. Without burnout all I do is spin in 1st and 2nd gear with low 13 sec. That's one of the reasons I want upgrade to 305s when the stock tires are done to pick up more traction. Also WOT on second gear doing 50 mph would cause the tires to break traction and leave tire marks on the street thus cause inefficiency.

Its almost impossible to duplicate magazine times running the Rcf vs m4 vs Camaro ss on the street. The winner would need the best tire money can buy and most efficient tranny. For example, even with m4's DCT and launch control, there are many steps required to activate the function and the car needs to be in right temp. With 2 seconds notice at red light to race, the driver wouldn't have enough time to fully utilized the function. If the m4 is mt, it will definitely shift slower and launch less efficiently thus run slower. Same goes for the camero ss and most owners prefer old fashion mt over auto in an American muscle. Also I highly doubt the other driver is going to fry their clutch in a hard launch, like in magazines, just to beat or impress you.
Now tire traction.. On the public streets of Mexico no one does a proper burnout to maximize traction before an impromptu race. Even with my Michelin pss warmed up after driving on the Rcf, I leave a trail of tire smoke if I decide to turn off traction and floor it on first gear.

Imo the best way to measure who or what car is faster is by racing start between 50-70 roll to eliminate many variables that can alter results and ego in the high hp car world
Old 08-07-16, 08:33 PM
Danblanco
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Davew77
Oh yeah, anytime I want to race I turn it off. In fact, I'm pretty sure mine will shift into 2nd gear if I floor it at any time while in 1st gear with it on. Which is going to really hurt my launch. It also feels like it's being held back a little on the throttle with the taction control on. When I turn it off I chirp the tires at any rpm in 1st gear if I floor it and I always get a 2nd gear chirp on shift with it floored (sometimes even a little side kick). I need to find the sweet spot on the throttle...

I also haven't tracked it yet. I'll be hitting the drag strip when I get back to FL. I didn't buy it for drag racing, but I always take my rides to the strip a few times.
After I put on exhaust I can chirp second gear every time with traction control on. I can't remember if I could chirp 2nd before I got the exhaust because I got it not long after getting the car. I have put the RC F on the road course track a couple times and boy is it a lot of fun!! That downshift rev match I can't get enough of that. But I haven't taken it to the drag strip. I have a jeep srt8 with CAI and a tune, it can run a 12.9 consistently AWD of course it feels faster to 60 than the RCF but when it hits 100mph the RCF would blow right pass it.
Old 08-07-16, 08:48 PM
Danblanco
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ssmoked
There is a lot more involved in a 1/4 mile run than just the driver. With all condition (road surface, elevation, humidity...) being equal with side by side run between 2 cars, tire brand and tread depth, system preparation (launch control setup) also play a big factor.

I had many controlled runs, with burnout, on the drag strip with the Rcf and I can't break 12.8. Without burnout all I do is spin in 1st and 2nd gear with low 13 sec. That's one of the reasons I want upgrade to 305s when the stock tires are done to pick up more traction. Also WOT on second gear doing 50 mph would cause the tires to break traction and leave tire marks on the street thus cause inefficiency.

Its almost impossible to duplicate magazine times running the Rcf vs m4 vs Camaro ss on the street. The winner would need the best tire money can buy and most efficient tranny. For example, even with m4's DCT and launch control, there are many steps required to activate the function and the car needs to be in right temp. With 2 seconds notice at red light to race, the driver wouldn't have enough time to fully utilized the function. If the m4 is mt, it will definitely shift slower and launch less efficiently thus run slower. Same goes for the camero ss and most owners prefer old fashion mt over auto in an American muscle. Also I highly doubt the other driver is going to fry their clutch in a hard launch, like in magazines, just to beat or impress you.
Now tire traction.. On the public streets of Mexico no one does a proper burnout to maximize traction before an impromptu race. Even with my Michelin pss warmed up after driving on the Rcf, I leave a trail of tire smoke if I decide to turn off traction and floor it on first gear.

Imo the best way to measure who or what car is faster is by racing start between 50-70 roll to eliminate many variables that can alter results and ego in the high hp car world
yeah those are good points, I wonder if your 1/4 time would go down if you had exhaust
Old 08-07-16, 09:24 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

yeah those are good points, I wonder if your 1/4 time would go down if you had exhaust
i will post results as soon as I get them. They are on back order now.

i think the increase in tire size will benefit more than anything. The Rcf is not craving for more power to run faster, but more traction to put the power down
Old 08-07-16, 11:52 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

After I put on exhaust I can chirp second gear every time with traction control on. I can't remember if I could chirp 2nd before I got the exhaust because I got it not long after getting the car. I have put the RC F on the road course track a couple times and boy is it a lot of fun!! That downshift rev match I can't get enough of that. But I haven't taken it to the drag strip. I have a jeep srt8 with CAI and a tune, it can run a 12.9 consistently AWD of course it feels faster to 60 than the RCF but when it hits 100mph the RCF would blow right pass it.
I was mistaken about my car shifting to 2nd gear from 1st automatically if I have traction control on. It only does it in "D", not in manual mode. But I never have traction control on in manual mode anyway, and I race in manual mode (in fact I'm always in manual mode unless I want to use cruise control).

But as ssmoked has already made clear, traction is key. Getting a great 60' is the most important part of a drag race and it all depends on traction. Knocking .1 seconds off of a 60' can yield .2 seconds at the trap. My problem is that I either keep chirping the tires, which means lost momentum, or I use too little throttle and the car feels like it's bogging. I'm thinking that Apexi controller will help in that regard. (This is on the street, I haven't tracked it yet)

I've also never dragged an automatic. But in my other cars I would rev the engine to my pre-determined rpm and drop in on the clutch at the right time to cut a good light. Then I would ride the clutch a little during the launch to help control my traction. I'm not sure how people launch the RC F. Do they rev in neutral and drop it in, or do they brake torque it, or do they just hit the throttle at the right time?

Last edited by Davew77; 08-07-16 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08-08-16, 07:27 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

You have to respect the performance of each car. Every vehicle and driver is different. Too many variables and conditions for the results.

I have a jeep srt8 with CAI and a tune, it can run a 12.9 consistently AWD of course it feels faster to 60 than the RCF but when it hits 100mph the RCF would blow right pass it.
AWD, gearing, and aerodynamics play a part in this feel of fast to 60 and then a drop off at 100mph.
Old 08-08-16, 11:34 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Define new Camaro? 5th gen or 6th gen? Auto or stick?

Quick Reply: Rcf vs camaro ss