RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Rcf with axle issue w/video

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-16, 10:43 AM
Donnirino
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rcf with axle issue w/video

I leased a 2015 rcf in late October. Since then I have a total of 8900 miles on the car . The car has been in for service a total of 13 times . The major problem was a clicking sound from the driver side axle under hard acceleration from a stop light or on downshifting when coming to a stop. They replaced the axle at 5900 miles . 2500 miles later the clicking sound started again this time on both sides . The car was brought to the dealer where the mechanic waited for a master tech from Lexus to look at the car . The tech stated it's ' normal ' for a loud clicking sounds to come from the axles . Please help ! Has anyone else had the same issue ?? https://youtu.be/SNo5cwhTK0g
Old 07-31-16, 11:02 AM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Doesn't sound "normal" to me. Something is scraping.
Old 07-31-16, 05:35 PM
Z3NK1
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like something suspension related, could be the little metal tabs that hold the rear brake sensor wires. I wore through these wires after lowering my car, just needed to bend the clip a little with some pliers to stop it rubbing when the suspension is under load. Worth a try
Old 07-31-16, 06:20 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

It's difficult to diagnose problems via internet.

I would try another dealer if I was certain something was wrong with my vehicle and a dealer said it was normal. If it was discovered at another dealer that something was actually wrong then I would never visit the first dealer ever again and I would leave a bad review for them online.
Old 07-31-16, 07:23 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Are there any NY RC-F owners out there who can help the OP out? Unfortunately and fortunately, this is not happening to my F. Did you at least challenge the findings of the master tech by comparing ( side by side) your RC-F with another one?
Old 07-31-16, 08:53 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Are sure it is not suspension related. Seems like it kicks in when it squats. I have heard many cv joints and axle sounds over the years. Definitely not a cv click and do not hear typical axle grind. There is definitely a noise, but I would be curious if more made the same sound. I never listen for nor would hear something like that. Lol, I didn't realize I could see my license plate in the back up camera either until reading a thread about it . . .

Can you actually hear that from inside the car while driving? Is this a different sound than the axle made before it was replaced? Sorry to hear of your frustrations.
Old 08-01-16, 01:07 PM
Donnirino
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DougHII
Are sure it is not suspension related. Seems like it kicks in when it squats. I have heard many cv joints and axle sounds over the years. Definitely not a cv click and do not hear typical axle grind. There is definitely a noise, but I would be curious if more made the same sound. I never listen for nor would hear something like that. Lol, I didn't realize I could see my license plate in the back up camera either until reading a thread about it . . .

Can you actually hear that from inside the car while driving? Is this a different sound than the axle made before it was replaced? Sorry to hear of your frustrations.
the drivers side axle was replaced at 6k miles with a loud clicking coming from it . This time around the driver side clicking while the passenger side makes the sound you hear in the video . They sent a master technician from Lexus who said it's normal and refused to pay to have my dealer fix it . I spoke to a women named Karen Ratola at Lexus Usa who informed me that if Lexus says the said is normal then it's normal. I asked to have an rcf brought to my dealer so I could compair the two . I was told absolutely not !
Old 08-01-16, 01:09 PM
Donnirino
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DougHII

yes can be heard clearly from inside the car with the windows down
Old 08-01-16, 01:10 PM
Donnirino
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexura1414
Are there any NY RC-F owners out there who can help the OP out? Unfortunately and fortunately, this is not happening to my F. Did you at least challenge the findings of the master tech by comparing ( side by side) your RC-F with another one?
unfortunately I can't find another one and my dealer doesn't have one . Lexus has refused to provide one
Old 08-01-16, 01:11 PM
Donnirino
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Davew77
It's difficult to diagnose problems via internet.

I would try another dealer if I was certain something was wrong with my vehicle and a dealer said it was normal. If it was discovered at another dealer that something was actually wrong then I would never visit the first dealer ever again and I would leave a bad review for them online.
it's not my dealer ,I have a work order from them stating both axles need to be replaced . Lexus Usa has refused to pay for the work to be done .
Old 08-01-16, 01:36 PM
Sparker
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Where in NY are you? I'm on long island. I've had my car for about a year with 13.5k miles on the clock and I haven't had any issues and I most definitely do not have that noise.
Old 08-01-16, 01:44 PM
Donnirino
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sparker
Where in NY are you? I'm on long island. I've had my car for about a year with 13.5k miles on the clock and I haven't had any issues and I most definitely do not have that noise.
I'm in Scarsdale NY and I wouldnt have a problem driving to you but I was told that Lexus Usa says it's normal and as far as there concerned I don't have a case
Old 08-01-16, 01:52 PM
Sparker
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I got my car from Rallye (near my work), you may have better luck at another dealership. I suggest you open a case (basically complain that this needs further investigation since even with the initial fix it's clearly not resolved if the noise remains) with Lexus corporate and call a service adviser at Rallye and give them the case #, explain the situation that you've already went to xyz dealer and they said this, and provide the youtube video before you waste your valuable time going around.

If not, I have a friend with a tuning shop near my house who can throw it up on the lift and may be able to help as well. More than happy to bring my car by as a comparison to help you with your case.
Old 08-01-16, 01:57 PM
Donnirino
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sparker
I got my car from Rallye (near my work), you may have better luck at another dealership. I suggest you open a case (basically complain that this needs further investigation since even with the initial fix it's clearly not resolved if the noise remains) with Lexus corporate and call a service adviser at Rallye and give them the case #, explain the situation that you've already went to xyz dealer and they said this, and provide the youtube video before you waste your valuable time going around.

If not, I have a friend with a tuning shop near my house who can throw it up on the lift and may be able to help as well. More than happy to bring my car by as a comparison to help you with your case.
thank you so much and I may take you up on the offer . The problem is I opened a case and then it went to the Lexus buy back department. They reviewed the case and said basically they have closed the case . Because the tech from Lexus 'not my dealer ' said it's normal they won't do anything .
Old 08-01-16, 01:58 PM
Donnirino
Driver School Candidate

Heree is a quick video I made with my cell phone just now you can here the axle on the driver side click, sometimes it's more then one click sometimes it's one

Quick Reply: Rcf with axle issue w/video