RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RCF owners I need your input

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-16, 06:36 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

As some have echoed, space is an issue but only in the rear seating. That is anyone above 5'9 will be be snug in leg and headroom. However, I got the RC F over an F Type or Cayman because of the extra two seats which has come in super handy on some trips with my two pre-teens at backand wife in the front. Also, trunk space is good like a compact 4-door sedan.
Old 07-22-16, 07:28 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by DougHII
550 . . . A lot of car guys I respect say they think the 550 is a great car. I have had one BMW . . . Never again. That cars was my wife's only foray into BMW land. The other night I mentioned getting her an M6 convertible because she wants a convertible. She said she will never let me buy another BMW after that POS we had.

Unfortunately, she sent me pictures of the convertible she wants ear this week . . . Gotta admit, this thing is super fricken cool.

That AMG is really a cool car. Did you also look at the two seater roadster, SLK55AMG? It's bigger brother, SL65AMG is nice too, but maybe prone to a lot more problems.

Back to to RC-F. ...

I have real leather on all of my cars, not the fake stuff. Even MB now has the fake leather . You will have to pay extra for real leather or it comes in packages already included. The leathers in all of my Lexus held up well.

The RC-F works well for me. But it's not my only vehicle. I'm the primary driver. It is basically a vehicle that I drive around to and from work. My wife rarely drives it. My kids NEVER!! So I don't know how it would work out if I had to put my teenage kids and wife in it. Probably will not work well due to the fact that it is a two door coup. So if you have another people hauler vehicle for the rest of the family (if you have kids and wife), then I would say go for the RC F. Otherwise, if you need more room, then maybe GS-F with 4 doors?
Old 07-23-16, 12:22 AM
DHHD1999
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not married, no kids, in the dating scene . . . forget the geeky 4 door. That will maybe come later in life, although I have managed to avoid it and I have 2 in college and a 4 year old. Get the sports car. RC F looks great and will get tons of compliments.
yeah that's why im leaning towards the RC F!! thanks
Old 07-23-16, 12:27 AM
DHHD1999
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
That AMG is really a cool car. Did you also look at the two seater roadster, SLK55AMG? It's bigger brother, SL65AMG is nice too, but maybe prone to a lot more problems.

Back to to RC-F. ...

I have real leather on all of my cars, not the fake stuff. Even MB now has the fake leather . You will have to pay extra for real leather or it comes in packages already included. The leathers in all of my Lexus held up well.

The RC-F works well for me. But it's not my only vehicle. I'm the primary driver. It is basically a vehicle that I drive around to and from work. My wife rarely drives it. My kids NEVER!! So I don't know how it would work out if I had to put my teenage kids and wife in it. Probably will not work well due to the fact that it is a two door coup. So if you have another people hauler vehicle for the rest of the family (if you have kids and wife), then I would say go for the RC F. Otherwise, if you need more room, then maybe GS-F with 4 doors?
Yeah but in my current situation the Rc F would be a great car for my needs atm and after going to see it in person it definitely is a winner in my book and + my little nephews would love to ride in it
Old 07-23-16, 06:44 AM
NickZ
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DHHD1999
Yeah but in my current situation the Rc F would be a great car for my needs atm and after going to see it in person it definitely is a winner in my book and + my little nephews would love to ride in it
My brother came to hang out the other day and brought his son. We went out for dinner and took the Lexus, when he got in the back and saw "F" on the seats he said "does F mean fast?" Before I could say anything his dad said "just wait son, just wait". We had a blast, trust me you will love the car, the way it sounds, the planted feel on the highway, and I think it looks great in person. There really isn't anything like it out there, drive whatever you have in your mind and do your homework, I spent months shopping and kept coming back to the RCF.
Old 07-23-16, 06:51 AM
NickZ
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

550 . . . A lot of car guys I respect say they think the 550 is a great car. I have had one BMW . . . Never again. That cars was my wife's only foray into BMW land. The other night I mentioned getting her an M6 convertible because she wants a convertible. She said she will never let me buy another BMW after that POS we had.

Unfortunately, she sent me pictures of the convertible she wants ear this week . . . Gotta admit, this thing is super fricken cool.
Man that Benz looks awesome! I'm with you though Doug, as much as I am impressed by what the Germans are doing I just won't mess with them. I went with him to see the 550, really nice car and that thing can move! Trust me, he's had plenty of issues with his BMW's, and he recently bought my sister an X5 that had a power failure and left her stranded with her kids on the highway. She's pissed, but he's set in his ways...
Old 07-23-16, 08:03 AM
rage2
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 3 kids and drive 3 kids to school/daycare in my RCF every single day. 9 year old up front, 1 and 3 year old in the back with one front facing and one rear facing. The trunk is massive for hauling all their crap too.

As for weight, I'm hitting 1.3gs on the street after the kids are dropped off so ya, no issues there haha.
Old 07-23-16, 09:59 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Lol, people complaining about weight reduction read too many magazines, want a street racer and/or just have not spent any decent amount of time behind the wheel.
Lol, must have struck a nerve because you ignored my other assertions. This car IS overweight no matter how you slice it, and it has to be, because it uses a Frankenstein chassis cobbled together from the GS, IS, and IS convertible, then adds structural bracing on top of all that for the F model.

On the plus side, since they got the rear end from the IS convertible, they can build a convertible RC in the future without too much trouble or re-engineering from a chassis standpoint. Another plus is stability...heavy cars tend to soak up potholes well and ride with alot of stability on crappy pavement despite suspension tweaks, so a little pork is good on a GT style car. In a way, I see this model in the same light as the old SC430 with better suspension.

Old 07-24-16, 07:12 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
Lol, must have struck a nerve because you ignored my other assertions. This car IS overweight no matter how you slice it, and it has to be, because it uses a Frankenstein chassis cobbled together from the GS, IS, and IS convertible, then adds structural bracing on top of all that for the F model.

On the plus side, since they got the rear end from the IS convertible, they can build a convertible RC in the future without too much trouble or re-engineering from a chassis standpoint. Another plus is stability...heavy cars tend to soak up potholes well and ride with alot of stability on crappy pavement despite suspension tweaks, so a little pork is good on a GT style car. In a way, I see this model in the same light as the old SC430 with better suspension.
Funny how you cut out the rest of my post you quoted discussing REAL WORLD experience comparing how it drives to some of the world's best.

Unless you are on a track at or near 10/10ths in a section requiring abrupt weight transfers like a chicane, the difference in weight between say an M4, S5, AMG or an RCF will make NO difference when driving spiritedly on the street. In fact, drivers at a novice or intermediate level may actually be able to drive quicker in twisties in an RCF than an M4, because the M4 can be hand full at or near the limits with oversteer (any weight transfer) or throttle oversteer.

Its the suspension and not a vehicle's weight that smoothed out imperfections in the road surface. I could put a suspension on the RCF that would jar your teeth out and handle better. By the same token, I can tune suspensions on Porsches that will glide over road imperfections and ride buttery smooth.

Feel wise, I would compare the feel of the RCF to be very comparable to the feel of driving my 2001 Porsche 996tt coupe and my 2004 996tt cab with stock suspensions. Very solid, very smooth, very comfortable, low road noise and very comparable performance wise.

You actually have to (1) spend some time driving these cars hard; and (2) have a background of spending considerable time driving other cars hard to get it and understand just how capable and good an RCF is.

I doubt you have done either or actually even have the skill set to drive cars in this class to feel the impact of weight on performance.
Old 07-24-16, 07:36 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

the primary areas I would change in the RCF would be:

(1) A dual clutch transmission like the PDK. I have gotten used to and love the PDK and the auto manual in the RCF annoys me. I would also think a dual clutch pdk like system could be made lighter than the auto manual in the RCF;

(2) Adjustable suspension with a tighter setting for Sports + mode;

(3) A sports exhaust system where you can change the sound much like PSE on Porsche.

(4) Forced induction motor for better torque curve;

(4) Then weight reduction, but only after the above and again not truly necessary for the street, but it would satisfy those that spend more time in the magazine or virtual world instead of behind the wheel.
Old 07-24-16, 09:25 AM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

the primary areas I would change in the RCF would be:

(1) A dual clutch transmission like the PDK. I have gotten used to and love the PDK and the auto manual in the RCF annoys me. I would also think a dual clutch pdk like system could be made lighter than the auto manual in the RCF;

(2) Adjustable suspension with a tighter setting for Sports + mode;

(3) A sports exhaust system where you can change the sound much like PSE on Porsche.

(4) Forced induction motor for better torque curve;

(4) Then weight reduction, but only after the above and again not truly necessary for the street, but it would satisfy those that spend more time in the magazine or virtual world instead of behind the wheel.
Number 4 will take care of number 5 but I will take weight reduction anytime..

Last edited by Lexura1414; 07-24-16 at 09:26 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-24-16, 02:08 PM
Phinatic
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Ne1there:

I cannot imagine how anyone could possibly say I just couldn't take that turn fast enough on the way to work this morning because of the RCF's weight. I honestly don't think anyone on these forums or driving Ms, AMGs, and etc. comes anywhere even remotely close ever driving these cars at their limits so all of this weight nonsense is actually very silly from a reality perspective.

The question really is does anyone really want to give up the solid, comfortable quiet feel of the RCF for a weight reduction that would not remotely change the limits at which they drive it.

As for straight line, it's not a weight issue per se. NAs simply do not have the torque curve to compete with the forced induction cars and I am not and never gave been an acceleration guy once you get to a certain level and RCF has plenty. One of the best cars on the planet to drive is a Lotus Elise or Exige and they don't accelerate for ****.
I'm not loyal to any one car company, so I don't have any biases, per se, but if the M4 is .5 sec quicker in the 1/4 mile and has so much more low-end torque, then it should blow the RC F away in a 1 or 2 mile track, but it doesn't. In fact, most reviews I've read the RC F is very close to the M4, so it must be making up time in the curves. So I'm not buying into this overweight non-sense, either.