RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RCF owners I need your input

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-16, 09:29 PM
DHHD1999
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCF owners I need your input

I'm currently looking at getting an RCF and I have a few questions. Has it been a very practical car space wise? would you buy another coupe or would you go with an IS 350 or a GS 350 or GS F? I've heard a lot of negative things about the nu lux leather do you have it and how is it holding up? And how should I look at this car going into it and what should I expect? I'd love and hope to soon be a member of the RC F club Houston Tx
Old 07-21-16, 09:55 PM
panita2010
Pit Crew

Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

The car is nice .... Space not really, if you have kids than is not something you want.... Is a coupe .... I would go with a 4 door . The leather seen fine but I only got 1400 miles so might too early to tell....
Old 07-21-16, 10:12 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DHHD1999
I'm currently looking at getting an RCF and I have a few questions. Has it been a very practical car space wise? would you buy another coupe or would you go with an IS 350 or a GS 350 or GS F? I've heard a lot of negative things about the nu lux leather do you have it and how is it holding up? And how should I look at this car going into it and what should I expect? I'd love and hope to soon be a member of the RC F club Houston Tx
I'd look at it as a sports coupe that could use some weight reduction. Expect 10-12k off MSRP. Performance cash is available for 2016's right now knocking 7 or 8k off sticker. Don't own one but have researched them fairly thoroughly. Also check swapalease.com, people have been unloading them recently.
Old 07-21-16, 10:18 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

You are asking the space question knowing that the RC-F is coupe. Of course, a 4 door will be better space wise. But it would help if you tell us more about your situation i.e. kids? wife, or partner?
Re the leather, I only have 1,400 miles in my RC-F. But I can tell you this. I owned an IS-F for 5 years and the leather looked similar to the day of my delivery. In short, it held up very very well.
Old 07-22-16, 12:48 AM
skipetenj
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

If you want the F performance and need room, go with the GS F. As with anything environment and care are the critical to maintaining both the performance and finishes. I keep my car inside or covered or with a windshield screen to protect the both outside and inside. Maintain the interior finishes as as recommended. The car is built to last.
Old 07-22-16, 06:36 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Best all around sports car for the money today, bar none considering what they are going for. I haul a kid or two around a lot and 3 or 4 when wife is in the car. No issues and one is still in a child seat. I have 28,000 miles and no issues whatsoever. Interior has held up well and I am very hard on my cars. Wife has a Macan Turbo and lately she drives my RC F more than I and says she maybe likes it better than her Macan. I drive a two seater most days, but the RCF never disappoints me. A month or two back, I was about to trade it in for another 911 turbo for a DD and both my wife and I said almost in unison, why. We both still enjoy the RCF, it looks good and is is ver easy in the wallet.

Last edited by DougHII; 07-22-16 at 06:42 AM.
Old 07-22-16, 06:48 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Lol, people complaining about weight reduction read too many magazines, want a street racer and/or just have not spent any decent amount of time behind the wheel. I drive cars weekly that range anywhere from 1,800 to 3,100 pounds and the RCF to me drives and handles just fine in the street. It, however, is very comfortable and very easy to drive. I always drive it for business trips or drives around an hour or more in length.
Old 07-22-16, 07:13 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by DougHII
Best all around sports car for the money today, bar none considering what they are going for. I haul a kid or two around a lot and 3 or 4 when wife is in the car. No issues and one is still in a child seat. I have 28,000 miles and no issues whatsoever. Interior has held up well and I am very hard on my cars. Wife has a Macan Turbo and lately she drives my RC F more than I and says she maybe likes it better than her Macan. I drive a two seater most days, but the RCF never disappoints me. A month or two back, I was about to trade it in for another 911 turbo for a DD and both my wife and I said almost in unison, why. We both still enjoy the RCF, it looks good and is is ver easy in the wallet.
Awesome to hear I only have 4k on mine and I am pretty hard on vehicles but trying to baby the RCF as much as possible. The Macan Turbo is a great vehicle in itself. It is great to get all these different points of views and good personal reviews

Originally Posted by DougHII
Lol, people complaining about weight reduction read too many magazines, want a street racer and/or just have not spent any decent amount of time behind the wheel. I drive cars weekly that range anywhere from 1,800 to 3,100 pounds and the RCF to me drives and handles just fine in the street. It, however, is very comfortable and very easy to drive. I always drive it for business trips or drives around an hour or more in length.
I love the feel of the vehicle and the weight doesn't bother me but I still want a little more performance if I can squeeze it out via gross/unsprung weight reduction. On that note, I could have been completely satisfied leaving the vehicle as stock but I always end up modifying my vehicles to make them more unique/fun
Old 07-22-16, 07:39 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Ne1there:

I cannot imagine how anyone could possibly say I just couldn't take that turn fast enough on the way to work this morning because of the RCF's weight. I honestly don't think anyone on these forums or driving Ms, AMGs, and etc. comes anywhere even remotely close ever driving these cars at their limits so all of this weight nonsense is actually very silly from a reality perspective.

The question really is does anyone really want to give up the solid, comfortable quiet feel of the RCF for a weight reduction that would not remotely change the limits at which they drive it.

As for straight line, it's not a weight issue per se. NAs simply do not have the torque curve to compete with the forced induction cars and I am not and never gave been an acceleration guy once you get to a certain level and RCF has plenty. One of the best cars on the planet to drive is a Lotus Elise or Exige and they don't accelerate for ****.
Old 07-22-16, 09:03 AM
NickZ
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had my RCF for over a year now, and have about 8K miles on it. Absolutely zero issues aside from the rear pads squealing, and I resolved that with aftermarket pads before Lexus came out with their fix. In regards to practicality, my wife and I often take the RCF on shopping runs including Costco, and we always fit what we buy. The trunk is pretty large and can be pretty deceiving in regards to how much you can fit in there. I also haul my kids around in it, I needed back seats for that reason and while it's not always super comfortable for my teenagers, it works for us. As Doug has mentioned, this car has some pretty high limits that I doubt most of us can achieve, and the media hasn't given this car a fair shake. I drove the RS5 and the M3/M4 and loved the RCF, I bought it based on my own conclusions, not what Car and Driver or any of the other magazines published. I've been in my brother-in-law's M3, while that thing is pretty darn powerful, it sounds like crap, the road noise permeates the cabin, and he's tired of the pounding he's taken in the 10K miles he's daily driven it. He's a hardcore BMW guy though so he's looking at a 550 to replace it.

The RCF also accelerates with plenty of power, I have yet to feel like I'm lacking for merging or passing power! I'd also feel safe to say that you're not going to run in to a ton of cars that can challenge this thing on a daily basis if that's your thing.

Old 07-22-16, 09:46 AM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

do you track your car? The car has limits so high you'll be arrested testing them on the streets. I too considered an M4, but when I'm not driving 7 or 8/10, the RCF is quiet and very comfortable. Great sound system
and seats makes it a great daily that you can easily tune out the world. I tend to keep cars beyond 5 years. I have no doubt the Lexus will be reliable. If the M4 still had a V8, it would be a close call, but I don't want to deal with the questionable turbos 5 years from now.
Old 07-22-16, 12:06 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NickZ
I've had my RCF for over a year now, and have about 8K miles on it. Absolutely zero issues aside from the rear pads squealing, and I resolved that with aftermarket pads before Lexus came out with their fix. In regards to practicality, my wife and I often take the RCF on shopping runs including Costco, and we always fit what we buy. The trunk is pretty large and can be pretty deceiving in regards to how much you can fit in there. I also haul my kids around in it, I needed back seats for that reason and while it's not always super comfortable for my teenagers, it works for us. As Doug has mentioned, this car has some pretty high limits that I doubt most of us can achieve, and the media hasn't given this car a fair shake. I drove the RS5 and the M3/M4 and loved the RCF, I bought it based on my own conclusions, not what Car and Driver or any of the other magazines published. I've been in my brother-in-law's M3, while that thing is pretty darn powerful, it sounds like crap, the road noise permeates the cabin, and he's tired of the pounding he's taken in the 10K miles he's daily driven it. He's a hardcore BMW guy though so he's looking at a 550 to replace it.

The RCF also accelerates with plenty of power, I have yet to feel like I'm lacking for merging or passing power! I'd also feel safe to say that you're not going to run in to a ton of cars that can challenge this thing on a daily basis if that's your thing.
550 . . . A lot of car guys I respect say they think the 550 is a great car. I have had one BMW . . . Never again. That cars was my wife's only foray into BMW land. The other night I mentioned getting her an M6 convertible because she wants a convertible. She said she will never let me buy another BMW after that POS we had.

Unfortunately, she sent me pictures of the convertible she wants ear this week . . . Gotta admit, this thing is super fricken cool.
Attached Thumbnails RCF owners I need your input-img_3933.jpg   RCF owners I need your input-img_3934.jpg   RCF owners I need your input-img_3930.jpg   RCF owners I need your input-img_3922.jpg   RCF owners I need your input-img_3929.jpg  

Old 07-22-16, 01:52 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm currently looking at getting an RCF and I have a few questions. Has it been a very practical car space wise?

I went from a '13 GS350 F-Sport to a '15 RCF. Is it more practical than a sedan, NO. Is it practical compared to other coupes, DEFINITELY. For a coupe, it's very comfortable and I regularly have 3-4 people in the car. My brother is 6' tall and he says he's completely comfortable in the back seat. Also in my experience, as far as coupes go, the trunk in the RCF is pretty spacious.

would you buy another coupe or would you go with an IS 350 or a GS 350 or GS F?

If I could spend $10k more right now I might consider the GSF instead, especially since I have a baby on the way. But I personally feel more comfortable in my RCF than I did in my GS350, maybe it's just the difference in power .

I've heard a lot of negative things about the nu lux leather do you have it and how is it holding up?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the RCF comes with nu lux leather, I believe it's genuine leather. Either way I have just under 8k miles on my car and the leather still looks great (I have circuit red leather FYI).

And how should I look at this car going into it and what should I expect? I'd love and hope to soon be a member of the RC F club Houston Tx

You should look at this car as an amazingly fun GT car, capable of giving you goosebumps when you floor it, while also keeping you comfy on long rides. Good luck on your search and I hope to welcome you soon to the RCF community.
Old 07-22-16, 02:18 PM
DHHD1999
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the input it helped a lot as today I went to go look at both the gs f and the rc f and I'll most likely test drive them in a couple of days but first impressions were great!! I have a girlfriend at the moment and this would just be a fun car to run around in.
Old 07-22-16, 03:12 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for all the input it helped a lot as today I went to go look at both the gs f and the rc f and I'll most likely test drive them in a couple of days but first impressions were great!! I have a girlfriend at the moment and this would just be a fun car to run around in.
Not married, no kids, in the dating scene . . . forget the geeky 4 door. That will maybe come later in life, although I have managed to avoid it and I have 2 in college and a 4 year old. Get the sports car. RC F looks great and will get tons of compliments.

Quick Reply: RCF owners I need your input