RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Oil Overfill at 10,000 Mile Service- Not Happy

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-16, 09:11 PM
EGLIDE
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil Overfill at 10,000 Mile Service- Not Happy

Dealer performed my 10,000 mile service, including an oil change.
Normally I do all of my own oil changes on my truck and Lexus vehicles. But since the car was in for the 10,000 mile service, I figured, let the dealer do it. When I got home and checked the oil, I noticed it was about one quart too much. I was not happy and immeadiately put the car on ramps, went under it and drained the excess oil out. Not a big deal, but I should not have had to do this at all.
This underscores why I do my own oil changes and will be reluctant to let the dealer do it in the future. I don't know had I done nothing if any damage would have resulted, but it is better to be safe than sorry. I understand the dealers do not buy the oil in 5 gallon containers like I do, but the technicians need to be more careful and measure out the oil. That is why I think do it yourself to make sure it is done right!
My little rant.
How do you guys feel about this?
Old 07-16-16, 12:12 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Makes me wonder if the dealer really changed the oil or just added some more?

Originally Posted by EGLIDE
Normally I do all of my own oil changes on my truck and Lexus vehicles. But since the car was in for the 10,000 mile service, I figured, let the dealer do it. When I got home and checked the oil, I noticed it was about one quart too much. I was not happy and immeadiately put the car on ramps, went under it and drained the excess oil out. Not a big deal, but I should not have had to do this at all.
This underscores why I do my own oil changes and will be reluctant to let the dealer do it in the future. I don't know had I done nothing if any damage would have resulted, but it is better to be safe than sorry. I understand the dealers do not buy the oil in 5 gallon containers like I do, but the technicians need to be more careful and measure out the oil. That is why I think do it yourself to make sure it is done right!
My little rant.
Old 07-16-16, 03:24 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I'd do the oil on my own, but in the remote chance there's ever an issue, a warranty claim would be more troublesome.

But to your point though, dealer put the WRONG oil type 0W20 at my 5k mile servicing thinking they were working on a 350 Thankfully I knew since they were at least on the ball with the invoice which stated the oil type.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 07-16-16 at 03:36 AM.
Old 07-16-16, 08:38 AM
keithS
Rookie

Originally Posted by EGLIDE
My little rant.
Years ago, I took my toyota pickup in for an oil change at the dealership and they dropped it off the lift, crunching the door and sill. And it had such a high clearance, they didn't even have to put it on a lift. Since then, I changed the oil myself, and I do that also on my RX as it is easy to do. However, I can't really do it on the RC F as I don't have the equipment or space and I also got a really sweet deal on synth oil changes for the next 6 years so I"ll just have to keep an eye on it after they change the oil. Glad you caught it and was able to make the correction without having to drive back to the dealership.
Old 07-16-16, 09:54 AM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

These are some of the reasons I always change the oil myself. My father made me learn to do it correctly when I was sixteen and have done it my way ever since. I use the oil I want to use and the filters I want to use and change the oil when I think it is due.

Two times I've purchased used cars with a stripped drain plug thread. The previous owner had never changed the oil themselves, thus someone put the plug in with an impact wrench. My neighbor bought a boat where the drain line plug was put on with epoxy. That one was really hard.

That said, even though I try very hard to use the right oil, I honestly think that just changing the oil with a good quality oil at regular intervals will get you pretty close to 300,000 miles. One quart over or under on the F type V8 motor makes no difference, although given a choice, I'd probably go 1 quart under.

One secret in Pro Stock 500 cu. in. drag racing (motors can spin to 13,500 RPM) is 0 weight oil, maybe 5 lbs. of oil pressure at idle or less. These motors use a dry sump system, but if they used an oil pan, it might only hold 3 quarts of oil. So much for all the things we used to think about oil.
Old 07-16-16, 07:12 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

It is illegal for the car manufacturer to insist you get routine service done at their dealerships if there is a related warranty claim. As long as you follow the specific intervals and type of oil/fluidsand procedures AND DOCUMENT. You are ok. This is a long established fact long ago. I often do my own oil changes on my vehicles under warranty and I document with receipts and pictures of the oil filter and box and the gallon oil containers. I take multiple pics with the oil filter box/oil gallon container with the odo read out on the dashboard as the background to show the milage this was done. Then I upload the pics AND email to myself to further authenticate chronologically time wise.

For me, it takes me less time to do it versus taking to dealer and wait or get a loaner and back and forth. Sometimes if I get busy, I'll get the dealer to do it.

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I'd do the oil on my own, but in the remote chance there's ever an issue, a warranty claim would be more troublesome.

But to your point though, dealer put the WRONG oil type 0W20 at my 5k mile servicing thinking they were working on a 350 Thankfully I knew since they were at least on the ball with the invoice which stated the oil type.
Old 07-17-16, 10:41 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
It is illegal for the car manufacturer to insist you get routine service done at their dealerships if there is a related warranty claim. As long as you follow the specific intervals and type of oil/fluidsand procedures AND DOCUMENT. You are ok. This is a long established fact long ago. I often do my own oil changes on my vehicles under warranty and I document with receipts and pictures of the oil filter and box and the gallon oil containers. I take multiple pics with the oil filter box/oil gallon container with the odo read out on the dashboard as the background to show the milage this was done. Then I upload the pics AND email to myself to further authenticate chronologically time wise.

For me, it takes me less time to do it versus taking to dealer and wait or get a loaner and back and forth. Sometimes if I get busy, I'll get the dealer to do it.
Good point about documenting the process with pics, receipts, etc.
Old 07-17-16, 05:09 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,513 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Good point about documenting the process with pics, receipts, etc.
I always do my own oil changes. There's just too many little things that I'm very meticulous about. And yes, documentation is always good! I did my first change last weekend

Last edited by JT2MA71; 07-18-16 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-18-16, 07:47 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Just had my 5k done and think they over filled by 1 quart also wtf

Everyone check your dipstick
Old 07-18-16, 08:24 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Just read a snippet from an Edmund's article. Not sure if this has been mentioned but I'll leave this here just in case:

One detail worth mention is the incredibly large oil basin. The RC F holds 9.8 quarts (including the filter) of 5W-30. Compare that to the 6.6 quarts the RC 350 requires.
Old 07-18-16, 09:59 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Here are some examples of the many pics I took when I did the oil change on the RX450h. One has the odo in the background. ☺

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
I always do my own oil changes. There's just to many little things that I'm very meticulous about. And yes, documentation is always good! I did my first change last weekend

Last edited by lexusrus; 07-18-16 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-21-16, 04:32 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Found a DIY for RC F

Found this on the YouTube

Old 07-21-16, 04:40 PM
keithS
Rookie

Great video. Thanks for the post.

Originally Posted by LXSDO
Found this on the YouTube

https://youtu.be/rDamrQqUhH0

Old 07-21-16, 11:29 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Oil filter tool

What's the part number for the oil filter wrench tool?

[/QUOTE]
Old 07-22-16, 07:15 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Good Idea to take pics with the dash in the background..

Quick Reply: Oil Overfill at 10,000 Mile Service- Not Happy