RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

All rcf owners please chime in

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-16, 03:42 AM
Donnirino
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Sure. I'll do one better. I'll post a video shortly so you can show them.
Thanks you so much ! I really appreciate it you have no idea !
Old 07-16-16, 03:56 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

My pleasure. Here it is!

Old 07-16-16, 05:49 AM
Donnirino
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My pleasure. Here it is!

RC F Trunk Opening - YouTube
Thank you ....it's so funny to me that the dealer told me that the trunk doesn't open fully when pressing the trunk release ! Clearly I'll be showing them this video
Old 07-16-16, 06:01 AM
keithS
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Donnirino
Thank you ....it's so funny to me that the dealer told me that the trunk doesn't open fully when pressing the trunk release ! Clearly I'll be showing them this video
My trunk never opens clear up using the fob but always opens clear up if I use the button inside the car. Not a big deal, but that is how mine works.
Old 07-16-16, 02:16 PM
IMCHIA
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
Mine does the same. If it's really hot out or parked in hot garage, the rubber will stick. Come around second time, it opens all the way
Agreed - I think mine is weather related as well. I live in Houston so most of the time, it's super hot.
Old 07-16-16, 04:00 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Wd40 . . .
Old 07-18-16, 10:46 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by DougHII
Wd40 . . .

WD40 is bad for the weather stripping.

use a silicone based lubricate like this:
http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/weatherstrip-lubricant-42190.html?cm_mmc=PLA-_-25-253650-1-_-NA-_-NA&utm_source=google&utm_medium=paid_search&utm_campaign=paid_search_google_pla&scid=scplp15965818&gclid=CLa004XH_c0CFQmRaQodllQEyg

you can usually find something similar at any auto parts or hardware store.
WD40 will dry out the rubber over the course of time and cause it to crack and deteriorate. WD40 is good for metal parts not for rubber or plastic

in regards to the trunk lid no opening all the way..

mine will stick to the weather stripping on very hot days and the lid won't open you hear the pop and it stays closed when you lift you hear the pulling/ripping sound of the rubber, but for the most part it opens all the way with both the fob and the internal release:

if the lid is consistently not opening all the way, chances are you need to have the tension rod adjusted.
I have removed the trunk panels and the tension rod adjustment is the same as it has been on Toyota and Lexus cars for 12+ years.

here is a thread that gives you an idea of how the mechanism works and how to adjust:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...e-big-pic.html

hear is a video using a Corolla:

while the RCF will look different, the operation is the same.
Old 07-18-16, 11:29 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mjeds
WD40 is bad for the weather stripping.

use a silicone based lubricate like this:
http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/weatherstrip-lubricant-42190.html?cm_mmc=PLA-_-25-253650-1-_-NA-_-NA&utm_source=google&utm_medium=paid_search&utm_campaign=paid_search_google_pla&scid=scplp15965818&gclid=CLa004XH_c0CFQmRaQodllQEyg

you can usually find something similar at any auto parts or hardware store.
WD40 will dry out the rubber over the course of time and cause it to crack and deteriorate. WD40 is good for metal parts not for rubber or plastic

in regards to the trunk lid no opening all the way..

mine will stick to the weather stripping on very hot days and the lid won't open you hear the pop and it stays closed when you lift you hear the pulling/ripping sound of the rubber, but for the most part it opens all the way with both the fob and the internal release:

if the lid is consistently not opening all the way, chances are you need to have the tension rod adjusted.
I have removed the trunk panels and the tension rod adjustment is the same as it has been on Toyota and Lexus cars for 12+ years.

here is a thread that gives you an idea of how the mechanism works and how to adjust:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...e-big-pic.html

hear is a video using a Corolla:
Corolla trunk lift fix - YouTube

while the RCF will look different, the operation is the same.
WD40 is good for everything, even better than duct tape . . .
Old 07-18-16, 01:34 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

WD 40 is a petroleum based product and it will absolutely deteriorate and eat away at rubber components.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

WD-40's main ingredients as supplied in aerosol cans, according to U.S. Material Safety Data Sheet information, are:
  • 50% "aliphatic hydrocarbons". The manufacturer's website claims this ratio in the current formulation cannot accurately be described as Stoddard solvent, a similar mixture of hydrocarbons.[8]
  • <25% petroleum base oil. Presumably a mineral oil or light lubricating oil.
  • 12–18% low vapor pressure aliphatic hydrocarbon. Reduces the liquid's viscosity so that it can be used in aerosols. The hydrocarbon evaporates during application.
  • 2–3% carbon dioxide. A propellant which is now used instead of the original liquefied petroleum gas to reduce WD-40's flammability.
  • <10% inert ingredients.
  • The company warns of the product's high flammability and the risk of irritation to human skin when repeatedly exposed to WD-40. Nitrile rubber gloves and safety glasses should be worn as ordinary rubber disintegrates if exposed to petroleum products. It also mentions that water is unsuitable for extinguishing burning WD-40.

Basic high school chemistry at work right there:

ordinary rubber disintegrates if exposed to petroleum products
Old 07-18-16, 03:12 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mjeds
WD 40 is a petroleum based product and it will absolutely deteriorate and eat away at rubber components.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

WD-40's main ingredients as supplied in aerosol cans, according to U.S. Material Safety Data Sheet information, are:
  • 50% "aliphatic hydrocarbons". The manufacturer's website claims this ratio in the current formulation cannot accurately be described as Stoddard solvent, a similar mixture of hydrocarbons.[8]
  • <25% petroleum base oil. Presumably a mineral oil or light lubricating oil.
  • 12–18% low vapor pressure aliphatic hydrocarbon. Reduces the liquid's viscosity so that it can be used in aerosols. The hydrocarbon evaporates during application.
  • 2–3% carbon dioxide. A propellant which is now used instead of the original liquefied petroleum gas to reduce WD-40's flammability.
  • <10% inert ingredients.
  • The company warns of the product's high flammability and the risk of irritation to human skin when repeatedly exposed to WD-40. Nitrile rubber gloves and safety glasses should be worn as ordinary rubber disintegrates if exposed to petroleum products. It also mentions that water is unsuitable for extinguishing burning WD-40.

Basic high school chemistry at work right there:

ordinary rubber disintegrates if exposed to petroleum products
Lol, I was kidding around. Thought the duct tape good for everything would have clued in you on the sarcasm.

That said, as a kid in the late 70s and 80s WD40 was good for EVERYTHING including sunburn, cuts, hair gel and moving parts.
Old 07-18-16, 04:50 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

. I think It's a close tie.
Old 07-18-16, 08:43 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

One thought I had.... my trunk with the CF wing is technically lighter than the non-CF-wing trunk. Probably not much wight difference, but when I added the small rear spoiler on my IS (weight about 2 lbs), trunk would not pop open any more. Wondering if owners with the non-CF wing do not have their trunk pop open?
Old 07-18-16, 09:54 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Received 171 Likes on 100 Posts

One thought I had.... my trunk with the CF wing is technically lighter than the non-CF-wing trunk. Probably not much wight difference, but when I added the small rear spoiler on my IS (weight about 2 lbs), trunk would not pop open any more. Wondering if owners with the non-CF wing do not have their trunk pop open?
2015 (non-CF wing) here, doesn't pop up w/remote, it just unlocks and you have to lift it. For whatever its worth, also checked a 2015 RC350 (no spoiler) and the trunk pops up all the way.... The difference between the CF and non-CF may be the key, or perhaps that's not a feature that's been designed in and some folks just got lucky.
Old 07-19-16, 08:16 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Lol, how many on here, without going outside and checking, had/have any clue whether it opens partially or all the way. C'mon, you gotta be kidding me. As long as it un-laches, are we too lazy to exercise the biceps just a little to finish opening it all the way. I am simply not getting this one at all and my assumption would be that it is just supposed to unlach and not necessarily pop all the way open. I stand by my WD40 which may also work well on the axles.
Old 07-19-16, 01:14 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ct6978
2015 (non-CF wing) here, doesn't pop up w/remote, it just unlocks and you have to lift it. For whatever its worth, also checked a 2015 RC350 (no spoiler) and the trunk pops up all the way.... The difference between the CF and non-CF may be the key, or perhaps that's not a feature that's been designed in and some folks just got lucky.
non-CF wing here, and mine pops all the way open as I said above, except in extreme heat, the weather stripping sticks.

my wife's 2007 Camry used to pop all the way up and over the years it went to half way, then just unlatching.. a simple adjustment of the tension rod returned it to it's former behavior of opening all the way.

if yours isn't opening all the way adjust the tension rod or have the dealer do it. . it really isn't that big of a deal to do.

Quick Reply: All rcf owners please chime in