RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Raced a 3.7L v6 mustang in Mexico...disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-16, 09:03 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
Factoring 20% powertrain loss, the Rcf has 373 whp on a true MustangDyno. The Rcf is also around 400 pounds heavier, so my guesstimate his extensive bolt on and exhaust yielded him 340-350 whp or 100 whp increase from stock.
Was just surprised he kept up and I didn't dust him. But at end of the day, I choose my Rcf over any mustang
100 whp from bolt ons? No way. Maybe, 290 - 300 whp tops.

Simple answer is, the race is too short for you in a RWD car to be able to pull significantly away from him. A stop light to stop race will not separate a significantly quicker car from the slower one. You need to go over 100 mph in order to pull serious lengths on the other car. A stock V6 Stang does a 0 - 60 mph in 5.1 - 5.2 seconds and 0 - 100 mph in 13.4 seconds compared to 4.3 - 4.4 seconds for the RCF and 0 - 100 mph 10.x seconds.

A sprint up to 80 mph extremely depends on the launch and a slower car can easily hang with a much more powerful car up to 80 mph, if it launches well enough.

There used to be how a 335i was not much slower than an E90/E92 M3 up until 80 - 90 mph. Maybe, a couple of car lengths tops, but once it got over 100 mph the M3 would pull seriously lengths on a stock 335.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 07-14-16 at 09:40 PM.
Old 07-15-16, 04:32 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Let's see the Mustang do the twisties at high speed on mountain roads.😃😃😃😃

I still prefer the RCF over the Mustang.
A GT350 (which is cheaper than an RC-F) would have no problem making you watch taillights on a twisting road.

However, it entirely depends on what you want. Most people that buy American muscle cars, simply want them to tear them apart (with the money they saved), and build bigger. I know several of you have gone to the drag strip, but how many of you would be willing to pull the cams out, get a custom grind, port the heads and manifold, do all the supporting drivetrain and internal mods, change gears, and run slicks? Just in the name of hp. Though, if someone would do this to an RC-F...I would be the first in line to see that thing run, because it would be incredible.

Someone needs to enroll in reading comprehension classes.

I didn't lose, just didn't expect him to keep up as much. I don't know how you can do better when its in sport+ manual mode from gear 2-3. Does your rcf have hidden hp I don't know about?
Going 40 in second gear is in rpm range, not my first rodeo.
If it was driver error, I wouldn't be posting here if I bounced off the redline
Hard when you entirely rewrote your post, but that's ok

Either way, only pulling 1 car length on a v6 (non-boosted) is an overall loss.

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
100 whp from bolt ons? No way. Maybe, 290 - 300 whp tops.
lol, must be the best bolt ons money can buy. Bolt ons, even for a large displacement engine will only see 60-75hp max. And that's intake, throttle body porting, headers, high flows (or catless) to a large flow exhaust, along with a tune. You'll never see that out of a v6.

I think I may have seen this mustang on youtube before...did he mention the word "intakers"?

Last edited by Swacer; 07-15-16 at 04:49 AM.
Old 07-15-16, 08:41 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer

lol, must be the best bolt ons money can buy. Bolt ons, even for a large displacement engine will only see 60-75hp max. And that's intake, throttle body porting, headers, high flows (or catless) to a large flow exhaust, along with a tune. You'll never see that out of a v6.

I think I may have seen this mustang on youtube before...did he mention the word "intakers"?

Kid Talks About His V6 Mustang - YouTube
That is what I meant. 100 whp is unlikely, if not impossible. A stock V6 Stang probably dynos around 240 - 245 whp so with all bolt ons, it might be around 290 whp or so.
Old 07-15-16, 09:14 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Let's see the Mustang do the twisties at high speed on mountain roads.��������

Streets of Willow - Randy Pobst driving
15 GT Perf Pack - 1:24.29 with manual transmission and junk Pirelli PZero tires
15 RCF - 1:24.05
Old 07-15-16, 11:45 AM
ecruz0884
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so... I know I drive an RCF but I am an enthusiast when it comes to Stangs. I haven't owned one of the newer ones (five models before dating to 2001) but I seen and read enough to tell you a 4cyc with some work, I wouldn't say extensive but some work can trap 107-108 in the quartermile. I know our cars should do on average 112, but that gap, isn't enough to say your blowing somebody's doors off either.

The 6 cyc. run about 101 trap speed and with some work could also do 107. Again good enough to make it a run.So in your case, the slightest thing could make a difference between pulling half a car, 1 car or two cars.

I wouldn't worry about it, as other ppl said after 100mph our cars take off. I hit 150 quick and was very impressed with how stable it felt.

By the way off topic, can anyone do a successful burnout from a standstill with the RCF? It keeps telling me slippery surface and just throws the car to second gear. I've it in expert mode, traction off, etc.... NO BURNOUTS!!!

Last edited by ecruz0884; 07-15-16 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-15-16, 12:24 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by ecruz0884
Ok, so... I know I drive an RCF but I am an enthusiast when it comes to Stangs. I haven't owned one of the newer ones (five models before dating to 2001) but I seen and read enough to tell you a 4cyc with some work, I wouldn't say extensive but some work can trap 107-108 in the quartermile. I know our cars should do on average 112, but that gap, isn't enough to say your blowing somebody's doors off either.

The 6 cyc. run about 101 trap speed and with some work could also do 107. Again good enough to make it a run.So in your case, the slightest thing could make a difference between pulling half a car, 1 car or two cars.

I wouldn't worry about it, as other ppl said after 100mph our cars take off. I hit 150 quick and was very impressed with how stable it felt.

By the way off topic, can anyone do a successful burnout from a standstill with the RCF? It keeps telling me slippery surface and just throws the car to second gear. I've it in expert mode, traction off, etc.... NO BURNOUTS!!!

I have done plenty standstill smokey ones on the drag strip.
1. Switch to paddle shift
2. Sport+ mode
3. Hold and turn off all traction
4. Brake 70-80% and gas

It does indicate slippery surface after the burnout, so launching is not possible on the strip after a burnout to warmup tires. Very stupid restriction IMO, especially in sport+ expert mode

Post a video here after doing a burnout
Old 07-15-16, 01:20 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Let's see the Mustang do the twisties at high speed on mountain roads.��������

My feelings exactly. If you are driving your RC F to the limit and that V6 Mustang tried to stick on your butt through twisties, you'd watch it slide off of the road in your mirror.

If the OP wants to turn their RC F into a drag racer, then changing the gear ratio would be a good place to start IMO. It doesn't require a tune and it nets real results. However, they would lose some of their top end and most likely 1st gear as well. I doubt that they would get traction unless running slicks. 2nd gear would be the new 1st gear. Just a thought...
Old 07-15-16, 02:53 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't own an RC. I'm waiting to see what convertibles Lexus has next year. If one loses a "race" at the end of the day, you beat him and even more important, the other guy has to drive home in a Mustang, and you get to drive home in your RC. That's a BIG beat/win for you in my book.
Old 07-17-16, 04:08 AM
toyotatom
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Im sure the guy in the mustang had a great ride home also considering he pretty much stayed even with a car that costs 3 times as much. Still like to know what he had for mods in the stang, im thinking more than he admitted to.

Originally Posted by rudyH
I don't own an RC. I'm waiting to see what convertibles Lexus has next year. If one loses a "race" at the end of the day, you beat him and even more important, the other guy has to drive home in a Mustang, and you get to drive home in your RC. That's a BIG beat/win for you in my book.
Old 07-17-16, 05:54 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Factoring 20% powertrain loss, the Rcf has 373 whp on a true MustangDyno. The Rcf is also around 400 pounds heavier, so my guesstimate his extensive bolt on and exhaust yielded him 340-350 whp or 100 whp increase from stock.
Was just surprised he kept up and I didn't dust him. But at end of the day, I choose my Rcf over any mustang
The RCF really only has 373 rwhp? Seriously? Did not know that.
Old 07-17-16, 06:47 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Factoring 20% powertrain loss, the Rcf has 373 whp on a true MustangDyno.
I disagree!

1. NASCAR uses the DynoJet Dynamometer. From my experiences that is the most accurate.

2. My ISF, not an RCF, with full bolt-ons and hiflow catalytic converters pushes out 394 WHP on the DynoJet.

3. My friend's ISF with no cats pushed out 400WHP with full bolt-ons and no cats.

4. Here's a stock RCF putting out 399WHP:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...-rcf-dyno.html

Lou
Old 07-17-16, 07:16 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
I disagree!

1. NASCAR uses the DynoJet Dynamometer. From my experiences that is the most accurate.

2. My ISF, not an RCF, with full bolt-ons and hiflow catalytic converters pushes out 394 WHP on the DynoJet.

3. My friend's ISF with no cats pushed out 400WHP with full bolt-ons and no cats.

4. Here's a stock RCF putting out 399WHP:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...-rcf-dyno.html

Lou
Think about it, do you really think a RWD, AUTOMATIC, NA car only lose 10% hp from crank to the rear wheels? Maybe when pigs start flying haha

Dynojet is definately not most accurate, but just a differnt type of dyno. Do some internet research and you will find true tuners use MustangDyno to get their true whp reading without sugarcoating.

Tuners and lots internet folks don't like to use MustangDyno or "heartbreak dyno" bc they come on the internet, share their results and everyone says "why didn't you make more power with mod XX". Mustang dyno makes 10-12% less than dynojet and any dishonest shop will tweak the dyno to read high just to please their paying customer.
Also MustangDyno can stimulate load, which dynojet can't and NASCAR doesn't really care
Old 07-18-16, 11:00 AM
MHB1535
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I think I found a video.

[URL="http://https://youtu.be/AOQZONRhKy4"]
Old 07-18-16, 11:20 AM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Let me help you. Yup, this is most probably it. I see the RC-F pulling away and not having a problem. The 5.0 track pack did not even pull on the V6.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOQZ...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-18-16, 12:01 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexura1414
Let me help you. Yup, this is most probably it. I see the RC-F pulling away and not having a problem. The 5.0 track pack did not even pull on the V6.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOQZ...ature=youtu.be
That is hilarious. Cannot believe it is on video. I think the RCF was pulling pretty well when ssmoked let up. Not sure what you expect and perhaps could have been a little higher in the revs when starting out.

Haha, just got me some bolt-ons . . . heard that one before.

Last edited by DougHII; 07-18-16 at 12:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Raced a 3.7L v6 mustang in Mexico...disappointed