RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

New 2015 RC F Discount

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-16, 05:00 PM
tahiles
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
They are selling very poorly in my area but prices are still full although I also keep hearing about the steep discounts
Do what I did.

I told them I would prefer to buy from them but was quite willing to buy a plane ticket and go elsewhere for the deal. After the negotiation was done the new car manager asked me where I had planned to go and I said "Wherever I needed to".

I hadn't called any other delaers but I knew If I had to I could and would get the deal I wanted.

Also told them the white wasn't my first choice, Nebula Gray was, but I'd take the white to keep business local...maintain my relationship with them...etc...

They are a good dealership and really bend over backwards trying to help you out...so there's that!
Old 07-01-16, 05:02 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by tahiles
Well I tried to get 62K out the door.

The New Car Manager came back at $63,112 take it or leave it.

I said I'd do 63K even and wanted a complete front end stone chip wrap at dealer cost. Told the salesman that if the manager truly wanted it gone the $112 wouldn't stop him.

Just about to hit the 600 mile mark and am looking pretty hard at exhausts right now.

Love the car. Not my first Lexus. Had a couple of LS 430's and they were tanks. Traded a Prius for a CT 200 which my college age son is driving.

Didn't really find any surprises when I drove the RC F. Pretty much what I expected. Anvil like rigidity, zero body roll, all the creature comforts one could ask for and then some.

This is a Gentleman's Sports Car. Or as I like to say...a Japanese Aston Martin.

Shout out to everyone who gave me advice...Thanks!
You'll love it. It actually gets better with age and nothing comes close to it at that price. My wife has been driving it a lot lately. Her car is a Macan turbo, she drives a new S Coupe a fair amount and has driven the new AMG C63. Just today, I had lunch with her and she was commenting how much of a steal this car is and that it takes about $100k to get a comparable Mercedes. I price out a C63 coupe with the options I wanted it it comes out to a $100k. You picked yours up for the price of a garden variety C459 and the RC F is a much better car than that.

Last edited by DougHII; 07-01-16 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-01-16, 05:11 PM
tahiles
Rookie

I'm definately with you on the value.

Now it's time to sell my 09 Boxster S, PDK, 20K in options, with ONLY 17K miles.

I was considering a newer model Cayenne or Boxster. Don't get me wrong, they're fun as hell but to get a 2015 with all the options of the RC F I would have had to spend a LOT more money. And a new 2016 would have been over 100K. Not turned on by the new 718 Boxsters and Caymans. Going from a flat 6 to a turbo 4 just leaves me sad for the car....

One of the reasons I decided to look at the RC F is that my business is 90 ~ 95% online which means a lot of phone calls. Phone calls and driving means Bluetooth and Bluetooth in a ragtop means really bad quality for the caller as well as myself. Didn't want the Cayman if I was going to stick with Porsche I wanted the ragtop. Didn't want another 911. Great cars but feels like driving two different vehicles. The front and rear are sprung so differently because of the rear/mid engine a bump feels one way when the front tires hit it and another way when the rear tires hit it.

So I needed a sport coupe that was quiet with quality electronics.....RC F to the rescue!
Old 07-01-16, 05:41 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Do what I did.

I told them I would prefer to buy from them but was quite willing to buy a plane ticket and go elsewhere for the deal. After the negotiation was done the new car manager asked me where I had planned to go and I said "Wherever I needed to".

I hadn't called any other delaers but I knew If I had to I could and would get the deal I wanted.

Also told them the white wasn't my first choice, Nebula Gray was, but I'd take the white to keep business local...maintain my relationship with them...etc...

They are a good dealership and really bend over backwards trying to help you out...so there's that!
You were too nice, I found that when you treat and talk to dealers aggressively, they don't play games and give the best price. I just told them they would get my credit card for deposit right away if the price was right. Had 3 dealers competing for my business and offering free shipping to my house and my trade in. Ended up buying local with the color I wanted.

PM me the info for your Porsche. Might be interested
Old 07-01-16, 06:00 PM
tahiles
Rookie

Forgot a HUGE option.....

Sport Chrono + Package with Launch Control.........

That one's a BIG deal in the Porsche Community and separates the men from the boys....
Old 07-01-16, 07:52 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Forgot a HUGE option.....

Sport Chrono + Package with Launch Control.........

That one's a BIG deal in the Porsche Community and separates the men from the boys....
I know! Men able to launch well with mt and the boys need computer control! Haha jkjk
Launch control is great. I was actually disappointed when I found out the Rcf didn't have it like the m4
Old 07-02-16, 05:48 AM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

65K OTD for me. MSRP was 76K. Congrats on the purchase!
Old 07-02-16, 07:21 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

I'm definately with you on the value.

Now it's time to sell my 09 Boxster S, PDK, 20K in options, with ONLY 17K miles.

I was considering a newer model Cayenne or Boxster. Don't get me wrong, they're fun as hell but to get a 2015 with all the options of the RC F I would have had to spend a LOT more money. And a new 2016 would have been over 100K. Not turned on by the new 718 Boxsters and Caymans. Going from a flat 6 to a turbo 4 just leaves me sad for the car....

One of the reasons I decided to look at the RC F is that my business is 90 ~ 95% online which means a lot of phone calls. Phone calls and driving means Bluetooth and Bluetooth in a ragtop means really bad quality for the caller as well as myself. Didn't want the Cayman if I was going to stick with Porsche I wanted the ragtop. Didn't want another 911. Great cars but feels like driving two different vehicles. The front and rear are sprung so differently because of the rear/mid engine a bump feels one way when the front tires hit it and another way when the rear tires hit it.

So I needed a sport coupe that was quiet with quality electronics.....RC F to the rescue!
I am a 911 guy and used various turbos as my daily drivers for years. Went to RC F for the larger back seat to accommodate my then 3 year old and intended to go back to a new turbo as DD once my youngest graduated to a booster seat. Wife and I were discussing going back to a turbo here recently and we were both like why, we are both really satisfied with the RC F at the moment so no need.

Price wise, you can now buy abut 2 RC F's for a base model 991.2 and 3+ RC F for a Turbo S. The RC F is a smoking good deal for what you get.

Hahahaha, I am sure you itching to sell to ssmoked . . . given his cheap arrsssee says to treat sales people rudely and spend 20 hours negotiating to save $50 mentality. Different strokes for different folks . . . There should be a great market for the 09 PDK first year post IMS/RMS issues model. That car should be easy to sell at premium provided clean car fax.
Old 07-02-16, 09:23 AM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
62k otd is easy right now. I got that feb

2015 or 2016?
Old 07-02-16, 09:29 AM
tahiles
Rookie

I just don't like being an complete A**hole to my local dealer. I want "some" good will established in case I need them on my side for an issue later. Beat the hell out of them and then need them to"go to bat" for you with Lexus on a future issue and tell me how that goes for you.

Maybe I paid too much. But I'm happy with the price and car. And it's my money so that's all that matters. So who really cares?

On the internet if you get something free there's always someone who got paid to take theirs away. There's no winning.

Not starting a flame, just observing.....
Old 07-02-16, 10:28 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DougHII

Hahahaha, I am sure you itching to sell to ssmoked . . . given his cheap arrsssee says to treat sales people rudely and spend 20 hours negotiating to save $50 mentality. Different strokes for different folks . . . There should be a great market for the 09 PDK first year post IMS/RMS issues model. That car should be easy to sell at premium provided clean car fax.
I don't know how you do business on the daily but there is a fine difference between negotiating aggressively and "being a cheap arrsssee and treat sales people rudely". I highly doubt 3 separate dealers willing to do business with me if I were rude, and believe I was the first few able to buy with 62k OTD and many followed afterwards with same negotiating model. Heck, that's how the OP got his deal
If you have extra money to blow to pay sticker and pay premium to support the stealer-ship's bottomline, hats off to you (most likely thats the reason why you have so many free maintnance). But I like to spend the extra saved money on other hobbies, as other buyers too.

Last edited by ssmoked; 07-02-16 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-03-16, 08:03 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ssmoked
I don't know how you do business on the daily but there is a fine difference between negotiating aggressively and "being a cheap arrsssee and treat sales people rudely". I highly doubt 3 separate dealers willing to do business with me if I were rude, and believe I was the first few able to buy with 62k OTD and many followed afterwards with same negotiating model. Heck, that's how the OP got his deal
If you have extra money to blow to pay sticker and pay premium to support the stealer-ship's bottomline, hats off to you (most likely thats the reason why you have so many free maintnance). But I like to spend the extra saved money on other hobbies, as other buyers too.
You said treat them aggressively, not rudely. My bad.

Whatever makes you happy and saving $$$s is a good thing. Just remember, the car salesmen, finance manager, sales manager and owner all have to eat as well. These days, dealerships are operating in razor thin or no profit margins to move inventory thanks to the Internet. Some may view this as giving consumers power, but does it really in the long run. Internet commerce has decimated and will continue to decimate smaller and privately owned businesses, has cut deeply into the pockets of employees on many industries, especially sales persons, and is eliminating jobs on a mass scale in the mid to lower middle income range.

You, and everyone else, can pat yourselves on the back and feel proud to boast about how awesome a negotiator you are to save that last $500, but on a larger more global scale this is hurting a tremendous amount of people at the micro level and having a larger impact at the macro level.

People tend to focus more on the trees and their self then the forest and the bigger picture these days. Sales professionals work their arrssses off over long hours involving considerable stress and are worthy of what they used to make before the Internet led to mass wage cuts across the industry. Now they work extra long hours and make about 60% of what they used to make . . . , but screw them all . . . You saved an extra $500 and now tell everyone any above $62 is a bad deal. Awesome!

Last edited by DougHII; 07-03-16 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-03-16, 08:52 AM
tahiles
Rookie

Originally Posted by DougHII
Just remember, the car salesmen, finance manager, sales manager and owner all have to eat as well. These days, dealerships are operating in razor thin or no profit margins to move inventory thanks to the Internet.
Not arguing with you in any way but.....

The car dealers made a REAL good living off the American Consumer for 80+ years. People had NO idea about the true cost of vehicles and many only cared about their monthly payment.

Then came leases before the days of government mandated full disclosure about cap price, depreciation...etc....

The lease laws come around about the same time the Internet was taking off.

I have friends in the car business. A multi brand dealership here locally in 96 was making very little on new car sales. The salesmen were barely covering their monthly draw if that. All their ads were giveaway prices. This was at their Nissan store. But the dealer was getting $400 a unit on hold back money. They were selling 400 cars, paying the salesmen only from the small upfront profits and keeping all the hold back money. $400 x 400 units = $160K Just as an FYI, right now Toyota hold back is $700 ~ $800 per unit AND they're "building in" around $500 per unit "Advertising Costs".

Also saw the monthly P&L for the parts department, service department, body shop as well as the used car department. Each one of those was an average monthly profit of $250K. I couldn't believe it until I saw the P&L's. If anyone told me the numbers I would have thought they were full of $h17...And remember, this was just one brand, one location at a multi-brand, multi-location dealership group.

So don't feel too bad for the Owner's, General Managers, Sales Managers. They're still raking it in post Internet. The salesmen and F&I guys...not so good for them.

But here's the point I really want to make. The Internet has forced businesses to change or go away. I think it's time for the car business to change and they have. They don't get away with the same amount of rape they used to. But they probably need to change more than they have so far.

Adapt or die.....How would you like to be the sole heir to the greatest pay phone empire in the Western Hemisphere?
Old 07-03-16, 11:18 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Not arguing with you in any way but.....

The car dealers made a REAL good living off the American Consumer for 80+ years. People had NO idea about the true cost of vehicles and many only cared about their monthly payment.

Then came leases before the days of government mandated full disclosure about cap price, depreciation...etc....

The lease laws come around about the same time the Internet was taking off.

I have friends in the car business. A multi brand dealership here locally in 96 was making very little on new car sales. The salesmen were barely covering their monthly draw if that. All their ads were giveaway prices. This was at their Nissan store. But the dealer was getting $400 a unit on hold back money. They were selling 400 cars, paying the salesmen only from the small upfront profits and keeping all the hold back money. $400 x 400 units = $160K Just as an FYI, right now Toyota hold back is $700 ~ $800 per unit AND they're "building in" around $500 per unit "Advertising Costs".

Also saw the monthly P&L for the parts department, service department, body shop as well as the used car department. Each one of those was an average monthly profit of $250K. I couldn't believe it until I saw the P&L's. If anyone told me the numbers I would have thought they were full of $h17...And remember, this was just one brand, one location at a multi-brand, multi-location dealership group.

So don't feel too bad for the Owner's, General Managers, Sales Managers. They're still raking it in post Internet. The salesmen and F&I guys...not so good for them.

But here's the point I really want to make. The Internet has forced businesses to change or go away. I think it's time for the car business to change and they have. They don't get away with the same amount of rape they used to. But they probably need to change more than they have so far.

Adapt or die.....How would you like to be the sole heir to the greatest pay phone empire in the Western Hemisphere?
Sorry, but you are incorrect about the current state of the new car dealership industry, or what general managers, sales managers and sales persons CURRENTLY make. They are not "raking it in." I have clients and close friends that own multiple new car dealerships and high-end, exotic used car dealerships. The ultra-high end and exotic new and used are fine, the rest (Mercedes down) are struggling at the moment and the employees have taken HUGE pay cuts in the last two (2) years.

Yep, adapt or die has meant the end of small brick and mortar and mom and pop businesses that cannot compete with the large corporations and internet commerce due to fixed costs and economies of scale. Everyone high five's over saving a few bucks here and there, but the longer term impact is the elimination of middle and upper middle class business owners and massive lossesof entry level jobs working for these smaller brick and mortar businesses.

Perhaps, we will see the family owned dealerships continue to fail and/or be purchased by the Sonic et als. which will eventually move to a no-haggle price business model. That will certainly benefit the consumer so once again, cannot see the forest for the trees and the focus is on the short term.

Alas, I get it. I shop internet to save $$$s. We all do and I go through cars like water, but most of what I purchase are very low production.

Over the years, I developed relationships with certain dealerships. They call me when the have or locate a car they think I will be interested in. I don't haggle and I don't have to haggle. They tell me what they will sell it to me for. I know the market, I know what a fair price is and I respect that they will make some profit. Could I maybe get them to knock off another $ 500 or $1,000 . . . perhaps, but I don't as I have plenty and they take care of me, do me right and think of me when something interesting shows up . . .

They have l also gone to bat for me when I have had both an engine and three (3) transmission failures with computer print outs showing over revs. I even had a very large ($27,000) repair goodwilled once that would not have happened if a was a cheap d**khead to those guys.

Treat others the way you expect to be treated . . .

Last edited by DougHII; 07-03-16 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-03-16, 11:39 AM
tahiles
Rookie

If they're not doing well in the last few years like you say....that would be the recession, not the Internet. My example was from 1996. I know they haven't been moving units the way they used to.

But my friends who work at BMW, Nissan & Toyota dealerships are doing fine. They're new car or used car mangers, service department managers or some type of minority owner. They had a bad 2007 ~ 2011 but the owners continued to pay them now and then.

And you can't tell me the service, parts or body shops departments have taken a hit. Cars still require service and parts and people still have wrecks.

A large volume dealership without a body shop only depends on a 1/3 or 1/4 of their income from new car sales. I'm not talking about low volume exotics new or used....

Anyone getting "hit" today is in new car sales. Been that way since around 96. Thank you Internet...

They (Owners) should still be making their money from used cars, service and parts. If they haven't then they're just bad business people. It's not an extremely difficult business model and it's been refined for 80+ years.

Quite often the best paid manager at a dealership is the Used Car Manager. He generates the most income.

BTW..... I agree with you about developing Goodwill with your local dealer. That's saved me some MAJOR money on "discretionary" repairs in the past. That's why I don't hammer them for the last $500 ~ $1000......

We may disagree but I'll never accuse you of being "incorrect" or "apparently not very knowledgeable" so I'd appreciate the same respect.

Last edited by tahiles; 07-03-16 at 11:49 AM.

Quick Reply: New 2015 RC F Discount