RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

3ISF to RC F...few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-16, 06:53 PM
IS350SWFL
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3ISF to RC F...few questions...

As the title says, I'm thinking of ditching my 2015 IS350 F Sport for an RC F, but have a few questions for current RC F owners...

1. Is there a holder for sunglasses? I know it seems silly but the IS doesn't have one and its annoying...especially living in South Florida.

2. How does the RC F respond to a tune?

3. What are maintenance costs like? Is the maintenance schedule every 5k miles like the IS? Do oil changes uave to be done at a Lexus dealer?

4. It seems that a lightly used RC F can be had for MUCH less than new MSRP. Is there anything to be aware of when buying pre-owned?

5. For those that switched from an IS, was it hard to get used to the trackpad after using the joystick in the IS? Which do you prefer?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 05-26-16, 07:08 PM
SRC350F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can shed a perspective to quesiton for #4 - remember... the people that had it probably drove it like they stole it... or like they have a STI. Just a thought
Old 05-26-16, 07:08 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350SWFL
As the title says, I'm thinking of ditching my 2015 IS350 F Sport for an RC F, but have a few questions for current RC F owners...

1. Is there a holder for sunglasses? I know it seems silly but the IS doesn't have one and its annoying...especially living in South Florida.

3. What are maintenance costs like? Is the maintenance schedule every 5k miles like the IS? Do oil changes uave to be done at a Lexus dealer?

4. It seems that a lightly used RC F can be had for MUCH less than new MSRP. Is there anything to be aware of when buying pre-owned?

5. For those that switched from an IS, was it hard to get used to the trackpad after using the joystick in the IS? Which do you prefer?

1. No but the rear cupholder slides open and close , works perfectly to hold sunglasses.

2. No not yet as the RC F ECU is currently resetting itself after tune attempts.

3. This isn't a Ferrari.

4. Better for cash offers as pre-owned vehicles usually don't Lease as well as new.

5. I had an IS350 and probably the mouse but both are **** and i use the interface as little as possible.
Old 05-27-16, 06:50 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

I prefer the touchpad in my 2015 RC F over the toggle-mouse in my 2015 GS350.
Old 05-27-16, 12:52 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

My car is rock solid so I don't see any issues with ore-owned. Make sure no paint work and have Lexys service tech run service history to make sure no issues. If it had a fuel pump issue before, might consider getting a different one just in case something else causing fuel pumps to hum intermittently. Stay away from Shell gas and keep in sports or sports+ mode and seems no weird pump noises.
Old 05-27-16, 01:28 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

1. Is there a holder for sunglasses? I know it seems silly but the IS doesn't have one and its annoying...especially living in South Florida. - No and it bugs the hell out of me, my last 3 cars haven't had them, at least in the RC I can put them on the dash in front of the LCD when parked

2. How does the RC F respond to a tune? no tuning available for it at the moment, encrypted ECU

3. What are maintenance costs like? Is the maintenance schedule every 5k miles like the IS? Do oil changes uave to be done at a Lexus dealer? 10quarts of oil, every 5K. I bought the 5/90k maintenance contract, I don't want to deal with it. some might not agree but for $1,600 (I negotiated it down from $2,400) it averages to $89 an oil change (18 changes in 90K) which is less than most places charge for this car plus it covers all the other manufacturer required maintenance and fluids. So worth it to me if you can chew them down on the price. Plus it is cancellable and a prorated refund can be had if you change your mind.

4. It seems that a lightly used RC F can be had for MUCH less than new MSRP. Is there anything to be aware of when buying pre-owned? as long as it is still covered under Lexus warranty, you shouldn't be worried, 4yr/50K warranty should handle any issues.

5. For those that switched from an IS, was it hard to get used to the trackpad after using the joystick in the IS? Which do you prefer? didn't switch, but have used the joystick on an RX and NX I much prefer the touchpad.

Old 05-27-16, 07:31 PM
IS350SWFL
Rookie

Thanks for the replies. The touchpad is really the only negative that i can find with the RC F at this point. While it may be annoying its not a deal breaker. Any major differences between the 2014, 2015, or 2016 model years?

Looking at the M4 or 435i M Sport but reliabilty and long-term maintenance costs are worrisome, the A5/S5 styling is boring IMHO, considered the new Mustang GT but the interior squeeks and rattles would be more annoying than the trackpad, and i hate the way MB slapped a tablet on the dash of the C coupe. If i didn't need a backseat for my 2 yr old son, I'd be getting a C7 Vette.

Last edited by IS350SWFL; 05-27-16 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-28-16, 01:30 AM
wordsworth
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies. The touchpad is really the only negative that i can find with the RC F at this point. While it may be annoying its not a deal breaker. Any major differences between the 2014, 2015, or 2016 model years?

Looking at the M4 or 435i M Sport but reliabilty and long-term maintenance costs are worrisome, the A5/S5 styling is boring IMHO, considered the new Mustang GT but the interior squeeks and rattles would be more annoying than the trackpad, and i hate the way MB slapped a tablet on the dash of the C coupe. If i didn't need a backseat for my 2 yr old son, I'd be getting a C7 Vette.
...and to think some people cross shop these cars for performance reasons
Old 05-28-16, 03:07 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

- FWIW, I've had experience with the mouse RTI (RX) and touchpad RTI (NX and RC F) and you get used to the touchpad quickly and I actually prefer it. Key thing is to disable the force feedback. And most owners agree (NX): https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ay-or-nay.html

- No changes between the '15 and '16 RC F...

- I bought my RC F CPO - mint like new - and have almost 25K more in my pocket! Save the money with a CPO and remember, car is under warranty if an issue were ever to arise.

- As for interior squeaks and overall car solidity, the RC F is hands down the most solid vehicle I've ever owned (and I've owned many). It literally feels like it's crafted from one solid chunk of metal. If I have one minor complaint, it's the door slam sound, but that's to be expected for a frameless door. But once inside, not a single peep from the interior. The IS which is my daily driver at this time, feels significantly less solid due to a less rigid structure resulting in some minor squeaks over bumps in particular around the door/window area. So despite their similar interiors, they are night and day in the way they are put together.

- For the sunglasses holder dilemma... It's not the sexiest but it does the job for both my IS and RC F

Last edited by corradoMR2; 05-28-16 at 03:28 AM.
Old 05-28-16, 10:51 AM
IS350SWFL
Rookie

Originally Posted by wordsworth
...and to think some people cross shop these cars for performance reasons
lol its going to be my DD (never will see any track time), so any of the choices will be more than enough in terms of performance.
Old 05-30-16, 10:37 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No sunglasses holder, I just keep my sunglasses on the little shelf inside the glove compartment.

No tune is available as of yet, but there are a few companies working on it.

Maintenance is every 5k miles, I'm taking my RCF into Lexus for the first two free services and then I'll be going to my own trusted mechanic for the rest of the maintenance.

I would stay away from pre-owned if possible, these are performance cars are most people drive them hard. If you search hard enough and negotiate well, you can still possibly get a new 2015 RCF for almost the same price as a CPO RCF.

I had the mouse in my '13 GS350 F-Sport and much prefer the track pad on the RCF, although both were pretty annoying lol.
Old 05-30-16, 01:59 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I never use the track pad. Don't even think about it. I really like the touch screen on Porsches. They all need to go to touch screen capability.
Old 06-01-16, 06:20 PM
IS350SWFL
Rookie

Are there holes behind the F badge on the front fenders?
Old 06-01-16, 07:03 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

Are there holes behind the F badge on the front fenders?
Yep. You don't like the badges?!
Old 06-02-16, 03:58 AM
IS350SWFL
Rookie

Originally Posted by LXSDO
Yep. You don't like the badges?!
The "F" badge isn't that bad...i don't mind it on my IS or the RC F, but i typically debadge my cars as much as possible...i just like a cleaner look. I always remove emblems from the trunk, and even the manufacturer's logo on the trunk whenever possible.

My previous G37 coupe for example...
<br >

Quick Reply: 3ISF to RC F...few questions...