RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Tire Talk

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-16, 09:12 AM
RYLITT
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Tire Talk

Everyone seems to love the Michelin PSS but what's next? Looking at upgrading to 20" wheels, so what tires are you guys using? I see some Ventus V12 Evo2's, PZero's, anything else to consider? Looking for a tire that handles well in rain as well. Also, feel free to add your tire/wheel specs (& pics!)

Last edited by RYLITT; 05-26-16 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-26-16, 09:28 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Really like the PSS but had to go with Pirelli for the rear since they discontinued the PSS in 305/25/20. Still on the fence about the Pirelli...I prefer the PSS.
Old 05-26-16, 10:18 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Bridgestone re11 is great and sticky. Some prefer it over pss pending how you drive. Also it's cheaper
Old 06-23-16, 03:58 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

First time experience with the PSS (or any true high performance street rubber).

Is it normal the tires slip easily from standing starts when car is just started and driven? Are these tires that sensitive to cooler temperatures? I don't seem to notice the slipping as much after I drive the car for several minutes.
Old 06-23-16, 04:31 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Depends how much tire life you're willing to lose for good bite.

A Mickey Thompson ET street is a great drag radial that will hook and still last about 5-6k miles

You'll die in rain tho....
Old 06-23-16, 06:21 PM
AussieISF
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My personal driving style includes a lot of mountain runs and spirited street driving. I like to be able to hang the back of the RCF out and drift the car as well.

The stock Michelins that come with the car started off with a lot of grip, but as time went on, I found that they didn't really wear that well. Also, I find that in a slide, they aren't as progressive. They tend to break away quite abruptly. When I'm sliding the car, I need consistency, I need to know when the rear is going to break loose.

I liked the Falken FK452/453 on the ISF, I have yet to do a tyre change on the RCF but that would be my next changeover. It has decent grip for the price, good wear and also progressive breakaway as it loses grip.
Old 06-23-16, 06:53 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

PZeros are terrible, no one is a fan of them on the mustang 6G forum. They come stock on the stangs performance packages
Old 06-24-16, 09:55 AM
Darkside81
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've tried a number of brands and keep coming back to the Michelins. The PSS are great but will only last you about 10k miles if your lucky. The Pilot Sport A/S plus will last you closer to 20k miles and in my experience are better in the rain.
Old 06-24-16, 10:14 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Is it normal the tires slip easily from standing starts when car is just started and driven? Are these tires that sensitive to cooler temperatures? I don't seem to notice the slipping as much after I drive the car for several minutes.
Definitely normal. Performance tires warm up as you drive on them and the traction improves as they come up to normal operating temperature. In an extreme example, you'll see Formula One race teams keep their tires covered with tire warmers before they go out on track.
Old 06-24-16, 10:16 AM
rjmalm
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My 2 front PPS lasted about 10k as well and the rear 14k. the 10k included one track day but with no camber adjustment, 1 track day ate the front's edges away. I let the rears go to 14k but when I tried to get 2 PPS again, on 6/20/2016, but both Lexus and Michelin said PPS was OUT OF STOCK and Michelin said no ETA for restocking. So I had Lexus install A/S 3 + on the rears. They might be just a little thicker on the outside edges but of course more groves for water removal. Planning a wet Canada trip so this might help. Bye the way, Michelin told me the newer 3+ has a better compound for more grip vs the 3 version.
Attached Thumbnails Tire Talk-pps-footprint.jpg   Tire Talk-as3-footprint-right-rear.jpg  
Old 06-24-16, 12:20 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Definitely normal. Performance tires warm up as you drive on them and the traction improves as they come up to normal operating temperature. In an extreme example, you'll see Formula One race teams keep their tires covered with tire warmers before they go out on track.
Thanks for being on point. It's what I figured and perhaps I need to move left/right quickly as they do in F1 when they're doing their warmup lap though someone might call the cops on me for impaired driving or something!
Old 06-24-16, 12:44 PM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by RYLITT
Everyone seems to love the Michelin PSS but what's next? Looking at upgrading to 20" wheels, so what tires are you guys using? I see some Ventus V12 Evo2's, PZero's, anything else to consider? Looking for a tire that handles well in rain as well. Also, feel free to add your tire/wheel specs (& pics!)
Are you going for maximum performance? or something with tire life as well?
Old 06-24-16, 01:17 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
PZeros are terrible, no one is a fan of them on the mustang 6G forum. They come stock on the stangs performance packages

same on Camaros, the come with the SS packages, I think the ZL-1 got GY Eagles at some point but they started with the PZeros.

worst tire ever, average life was 10K-12K miles. horrible in temps below 70°, horrible after sitting on cold cement all night as they would get a flat spot and cause vibration until they got warmed up.
Old 06-24-16, 04:53 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I have tried just above every high performance tire and R compound tire over the years on a bunch of different types of cars. On garage queens, I have used A048 and Sport Cup for street and even used R5s on public streets and have been caught in rain storms on them many times. For strictly road tires, I have always gone back to the Michelins every single time I have strayed momentarily to other brands. They seem to be the best all around, year after year after year.
Old 06-26-16, 01:22 PM
Db750
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I switched from Michelin A/S3+ to MPSS on my M3 my 0-60 time went down .5 seconds from 4.6 to 4.1 based on 10+ runs on the V-Box. Not to mention better ride and feel. Like Doug, I have tried most every high performance tire out there, and the PSS is far and away the best all around. Unfortunately my 911 and M6 both came with new P-Zero's which lack the grip of the PSS and also seem to wear faster. I will be changing out the tires on the 911 to PSS this week and saving the P-Zero's until I sell the car. I doubt I will even get 10k miles out of the rears on the M6, so I will just wait until they are burnt up and buy PSS for that car as well.

Good tires are one of the most cost effective performance mod one can make. I was really blown away by the change it made on my M3, but now I am a believer, and always put tires at the very top of the "mod" list of any car.

Quick Reply: Tire Talk