RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Alignment needed after drop?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-16, 04:05 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Default Alignment needed after drop?

It's been about three weeks now since the drop on RSR Downs and the car feels and tracks well. No perceived difference than stock. I am also running 15mm/11mm f/r spacers.

On the flip side, when I dropped the IS on RSR Downs, the car didn't "feel right" requiring some minor corrections during straight-line driving. Car got aligned and felt right afterwards.

Do you think I still need an alignment? Would that be front and back?
Old 05-19-16, 05:19 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

If anything, the alignment will preserve your tires' life. Three weeks is not long enough to see any uneven tire wear.
Old 05-19-16, 05:51 AM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

You are going to need an alignment after any suspension work, wait a few weeks until the spring settles and then alignment. $90 bucks can save you from spending $1500 on tires early... Lol.
Old 05-19-16, 06:22 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Can you please post a few pics of your RCF with the drop/spacers? (front, back, 3/4)? I would love to see them. Thanks,
Old 05-19-16, 09:05 AM
RCFGuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
It's been about three weeks now since the drop on RSR Downs and the car feels and tracks well. No perceived difference than stock. I am also running 15mm/11mm f/r spacers.

On the flip side, when I dropped the IS on RSR Downs, the car didn't "feel right" requiring some minor corrections during straight-line driving. Car got aligned and felt right afterwards.

Do you think I still need an alignment? Would that be front and back?
Yes you do, your toe will be off.
Old 05-19-16, 04:17 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Thanks guys. I'll wait a little more and get the alignment done.

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Can you please post a few pics of your RCF with the drop/spacers? (front, back, 3/4)? I would love to see them. Thanks,
Here you go these taken about two weeks ago so I think the car sits a tad lower today. See my build thread for more details if interested.

Old 05-19-16, 07:49 PM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

You are overdue sir. Anytime you drop a car, you change the suspension geometry. Hense, why one always gets an alignment after new suspension work. It's been 3 weeks, that's 2 weeks too long. You're settled in my book, in my IS and other cars, I've always waited a week. 100% I would get an alignment asap. While you don't feel it, I bet your entire car is out of spec.
Old 05-19-16, 08:37 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Looks awesome. Flush with the the fender line (and I like the fenders don't cover the top of the wheel. A look a strongly dislike).

Here you go these taken about two weeks ago so I think the car sits a tad lower today. See my build thread for more details if interested.

Old 05-20-16, 12:08 AM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks like my Twin Although, mine is completely stock.
How do you like the ride quality so far? Does it ride harsh?
Old 05-20-16, 05:53 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

As has been said a couple times, when the ride height changes, an alignment is needed. Really, any time you loosen the suspension an alignment is required.

Make sure you have a performance shop do your alignment. Someone with a laser aligner and is knowledgeable of going outside factory specs. Took me 1 1/2 yrs to find someone I could trust.
Old 05-20-16, 08:13 AM
nelson143
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Salil022
That's the perfect drop/stance. Looks great.
Old 05-20-16, 06:38 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by JB5674
You are overdue sir. Anytime you drop a car, you change the suspension geometry. Hense, why one always gets an alignment after new suspension work. It's been 3 weeks, that's 2 weeks too long. You're settled in my book, in my IS and other cars, I've always waited a week. 100% I would get an alignment asap. While you don't feel it, I bet your entire car is out of spec.
I believe you might be right. I dismissed it at first thinking the streets were dusty but they're clean now after some rainfall and the car's rear wants to fish tail at about half throttle from a stand still or even at city speed hitting the throttle half way in manual from 2nd or 3rd. Never noticed this before the drop as traction was better and felt tighter at the rear. Could the alignment and/or springs contribute to poorer power application to the ground?

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Looks awesome. Flush with the the fender line (and I like the fenders don't cover the top of the wheel. A look a strongly dislike).
Agree it's how I like it too

Originally Posted by Salil022
Nice!
Ride is a little firmer and slightly bouncier, but not harsh though I would not want to decrease the ride quality further.

Originally Posted by Swacer
As has been said a couple times, when the ride height changes, an alignment is needed. Really, any time you loosen the suspension an alignment is required.

Make sure you have a performance shop do your alignment. Someone with a laser aligner and is knowledgeable of going outside factory specs. Took me 1 1/2 yrs to find someone I could trust.
I believe my Lexus dealer has this equipment but I'll ask. Thanks for the tip.

Originally Posted by nelson143
That's the perfect drop/stance. Looks great.
Thanks!
Old 05-20-16, 10:16 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I believe you might be right. I dismissed it at first thinking the streets were dusty but they're clean now after some rainfall and the car's rear wants to fish tail at about half throttle from a stand still or even at city speed hitting the throttle half way in manual from 2nd or 3rd. Never noticed this before the drop as traction was better and felt tighter at the rear. Could the alignment and/or springs contribute to poorer power application to the ground?
That is plausibly because of negative camber that typically lowering springs induce. Running negative camber makes the inner part of the contact patch press harder than the outer side (since the wheels are slightly sticking out more at the bottom than outwards), it results in less contact patch thus causing loss of traction more easily.

Negative camber for racing is considered great for very quick turn in and quick steering response, but it results in tram lining over rough/grooved pavement and also the inner tires tend to wear out more than the outside.
Old 05-21-16, 01:50 PM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Yes, indeed the drop effected your overall suspension geometry. Everything needs to get everything " even " on both sides and get your alignment in spec. True me, your drivability will change. Also, make sure your tires have proper air pressure too. I notice when I'm off a psi or two. Only car I've even owned that I could tell.
Old 05-21-16, 09:27 PM
da mayor
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JB5674
Yes, indeed the drop effected your overall suspension geometry. Everything needs to get everything " even " on both sides and get your alignment in spec. True me, your drivability will change. Also, make sure your tires have proper air pressure too. I notice when I'm off a psi or two. Only car I've even owned that I could tell.
The fronts feel too sensitive when it's off by one psi

Quick Reply: Alignment needed after drop?