RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Lexus CAN'T match Molten Pearl color - watch out/be careful while driving!

Old 05-18-16, 09:40 AM
papasmurf1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my front bumper repainted had some nasty rock chips my color is usb 2.0 and yea they had to re spray it 5 times till it matched luckily the dealership that I work at had a body shop so all the work was being done while I was at work and never was without a car
Old 05-18-16, 10:43 AM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a USB and took it to a shop that did work on my NSX and works on high end cars, they have done full color changes on 500k+ cars. I would not even think of taking the car to Lexus, and yes they matched it up 100%.
Old 05-18-16, 12:40 PM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

Wow that sucks... I almost got a Molten Pearl RC-F last december and didn't go for it because I wasn't sure about the color... good thing I didn't get it because if something like this happens to me I would be so pissed that I probably wouldn't be able to live with the car :/ Good luck with the fix
Old 05-18-16, 03:06 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by da mayor
I hate to say it but yes the color looks off but blending it into the bumper might help the consistency
Probably not, the bumper will be yellow too.
Old 05-18-16, 03:47 PM
boostedGS
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ba2sy
Damn! Scott, I hope your RCF gets better soon so, we can drive altogether... By the way, try Platinum VIP. They have a collision center too and they usually do Lexus... Maybe they can help...
I miss driving it. Been MIA for 6 weeks+. Ill see whats up with Kennedy. Thanks Fahd!

Originally Posted by demik
Scott, sorry about your car man. I really hope they fix this ASAP. Maybe repainting the whole car would be the best solution ?
All good Chris! Well see how the repaint turns out this week. If they can't get it within the next try or two, I'll suggest that. Makes sense, instead of painting the same side 3,4,5 times, just save time and money and paint the whole damn thing.

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
So much for customer service..

Good luck, hope you resolve this resolution. If Longo doesn't want to fix it, my friends at Signature Autobody might be able to. They work on many exotic vehicles from fender bender damage to full on repainting cars. They did the Fugu-Z.

-Josh
Only good thing about Lexus collision repair is that they have "unlimited" resources, so they can keep painting until I'm happy.

A lot of people recommended going to Marco's (Service King) Autobody and I've only heard good things about them, their reviews are great, etc. But they mentioned that they will not paint a car more than 2 times. That can either go both ways, they get it right the 1st time and I'm happy, or they can't get it right by the second time and I'm stuck with whatever color it may turn out.

So far.. even though I'm overall disappointed, I still feel happy or comfortable that it's at a Lexus dealership collision center.

Originally Posted by lexusnutt
I agree with the posts about taking it to an outside shop that specializes in expensive cars.

Some years ago, I took my LS400 (silver) to the dealer to to repaint the fender as it had a deep scratch. They totally botched it as it never matched and I eventually got rid of the car because I couldn't take looking at ir.

Fast forward to a LS460 (another silver) that I got rear ended on and needed to replace the bumper. Took it to a reputable shop and it didn't quite match but they apologized and shot it again. The 2nd time was flawless and you could not tell no matter what light it was in.

Bottom line is the dealer employs hacks that have no idea what they're doing. I realize it may be a little late for you now but hopefully your insurance and/or Lexus will agree to paint the entire car offsite.

Good luck!
Lesson learned for me, but well see how this turns out. I'lll keep this post updated.

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
I'm not surprise I hope it isn't the same for the red and blue colors
They said they had trouble with their blue and red RC's matching paint as well. The red one took 7 repaints to get the color correct.

Originally Posted by RCFGuy
Don't get body work done at dealer bodyshops, they are definitely not quality shops they are just the default for people who don't know better and "drop the car off at the dealer" for quality work. Shop around and find the actual high quality body shops in your area.
Too late for that.

Originally Posted by papasmurf1
I had my front bumper repainted had some nasty rock chips my color is usb 2.0 and yea they had to re spray it 5 times till it matched luckily the dealership that I work at had a body shop so all the work was being done while I was at work and never was without a car
How convenient!

Originally Posted by Ryanmcd
I have a USB and took it to a shop that did work on my NSX and works on high end cars, they have done full color changes on 500k+ cars. I would not even think of taking the car to Lexus, and yes they matched it up 100%.
I'm just glad that I'm having this problem at a Lexus dealership. Although I'm stuck in a crappy situation, I'm glad that I'm at a Lexus dealership where they can repaint 3,4,5 times. I don't even want to think of what the outcome might have been at a collision shop that doesn't have somewhat of an "unlimited" resources.

Originally Posted by Slash300zx
Wow that sucks... I almost got a Molten Pearl RC-F last december and didn't go for it because I wasn't sure about the color... good thing I didn't get it because if something like this happens to me I would be so pissed that I probably wouldn't be able to live with the car :/ Good luck with the fix
Yeah, if this car doesn't match overall, and if I don't have any other options... I will most likely sell the car. This is something I was already thinking of doing (I even have a FS thread on CL), but if the color doesn't match.. it's going to be a definite sell for sure.

Originally Posted by dojoman
Probably not, the bumper will be yellow too.
Exactly why I didn't approve of their request to paint trunk lid and bumpers. I just want them to repaint what is not matching now and match the damn thing!
Old 05-18-16, 06:09 PM
josh810
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I use to work at Longo Collision many years back, this doesn't surprise me at all. There were certain painters at that body shop that were notorious for not knowing how to match paints, that guys cars always came back for this reason. Any Paint is matchable, and this is unacceptable. Tell them your going to bring it up to Greg Penskee, maybe theyll keep painting it until its done right. That shop is a production shop not a quality one.
Old 05-19-16, 06:59 AM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

When I had a crash in my NSX 22k worth of damage Acura did not work on the car because it's aluminum and sent me to a place that does. If you find a place that can fix aluminum cars and do it well you will be better off then the dealer. But if you want them to respray it 10 times and wait 2 months because it's at Lexus have at it, my NSX was fixed in 3 weeks and they had to get panels from Japan and it was 100+ hours of work. They fixed my RCF in 3 days and said it was a 3 stage paint but not hard to match.
Old 05-19-16, 08:40 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnutt
I agree with the posts about taking it to an outside shop that specializes in expensive cars.

Good luck!
I agree, a good body shop should be able to match the OEM paint. It may take a little time, and they may even have to adjust the OEM paint "formula" a little but they should match it. IMO it looks like the dealer just took the OEM paint out of a can and sprayed it. It doesn't always work that way..

Good luck OP I hope you get it worked out....

Last edited by JT4; 05-19-16 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-19-16, 10:09 AM
boostedGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by josh810
I use to work at Longo Collision many years back, this doesn't surprise me at all. There were certain painters at that body shop that were notorious for not knowing how to match paints, that guys cars always came back for this reason. Any Paint is matchable, and this is unacceptable. Tell them your going to bring it up to Greg Penskee, maybe theyll keep painting it until its done right. That shop is a production shop not a quality one.
What is Greg Penske's position? Is he just one of the owners?

Originally Posted by Ryanmcd
When I had a crash in my NSX 22k worth of damage Acura did not work on the car because it's aluminum and sent me to a place that does. If you find a place that can fix aluminum cars and do it well you will be better off then the dealer. But if you want them to respray it 10 times and wait 2 months because it's at Lexus have at it, my NSX was fixed in 3 weeks and they had to get panels from Japan and it was 100+ hours of work. They fixed my RCF in 3 days and said it was a 3 stage paint but not hard to match.
Well, I think it's too late for me to pull it out of the shop to take it to another shop when they are trying over and over to get it right. What do you suggest? I'm sure it's not as easily as pulling it out while its in the middle of all this work already, then taking it to another body shop.

Originally Posted by JT4
I agree, a good body shop should be able to match the OEM paint. It may take a little time, and they may even have to adjust the OEM paint "formula" a little but they should match it. IMO it looks like the dealer just took the OEM paint out of a can and sprayed it. It doesn't always work that way..

Good luck OP I hope you get it worked out....
Thanks, I hope so too.
Old 05-19-16, 10:19 AM
RCFGuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boostedGS

Well, I think it's too late for me to pull it out of the shop to take it to another shop when they are trying over and over to get it right. What do you suggest? I'm sure it's not as easily as pulling it out while its in the middle of all this work already, then taking it to another body shop.

Thanks, I hope so too.
Is it an insurance job? Call the adjuster, tell them this shop isn't working for you, they can't match the paint, you're unsatisfied and you want to move it to another shop. Go from there.
Old 05-19-16, 10:44 AM
boostedGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RCFGuy
Is it an insurance job? Call the adjuster, tell them this shop isn't working for you, they can't match the paint, you're unsatisfied and you want to move it to another shop. Go from there.
Yes, insurance job. I'll try that.
Old 05-20-16, 09:15 AM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Thanks, I hope so too.
Ask them to foot the bill at a different shop because they can not make the car like new again. I am telling you any paint can be matched and selling the car because of someone who has no idea on what they are doing would not be an option, you should not have to pay for them not knowing wtf they are doing.
Old 05-22-16, 10:15 AM
sperez1971
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe you can get the colors to match more closely but I can guarantee you that it will not be a 100% match, and if you keep the car for a while the aftermarket paint job will degrade at a much different rate than the OEM job. If it was my car, I would have them do the entire car, this in my opinion is your best bet. Now, even the full paint job will not be the same tone as the rest of the car, but at least the entire car will be one uniform shade.

Sorry you are having to go thru this. Best of luck.
Old 06-06-16, 03:56 PM
boostedGS
Lead Lap

Update: I just got back from Longo Lexus to see their test panels they had for me and I'm finally happy! I wish I took pics of the test panel, but its 98% matching in my eyes. Night and day difference than what they had before. I feel so relieved.

Longo Lexus told me they have a contract with PPG and they cannot use other paint manufacturers, but for my car since they were having so much trouble matching using PPG, they ended up going with Glasurit paint. So if you have a Molten Pearl RC/F, ask to use Glasurit instead of PPG if wherever you are taking your car to uses PPG.

They are going to start on the respray tomorrow, and hopefully, I should I have the car back in the next week or so, tops.
Old 06-06-16, 04:07 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I'm happy to hear that all worked out for you. I have faith in Longo Lexus.

Update: I just got back from Longo Lexus to see their test panels they had for me and I'm finally happy! I wish I took pics of the test panel, but its 98% matching in my eyes. Night and day difference than what they had before. I feel so relieved.

Longo Lexus told me they have a contract with PPG and they cannot use other paint manufacturers, but for my car since they were having so much trouble matching using PPG, they ended up going with Glasurit paint. So if you have a Molten Pearl RC/F, ask to use Glasurit instead of PPG if wherever you are taking your car to uses PPG.

They are going to start on the respray tomorrow, and hopefully, I should I have the car back in the next week or so, tops.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus CAN'T match Molten Pearl color - watch out/be careful while driving!