RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Water on side windows

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-16, 03:41 PM
Jer2k
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water on side windows

Hello everyone. I am a new RCF owner. Picked it up in February and it's a truly amazing car compared to what I have previously owned in my life.

I have one small complaint - water on the side windows after rolling them down then up again. If I wash my car by hand or get a car wash or it rains, I can't roll my windows down and then back up without a crazy amount of water on them. Of course when that water on the windows dries it ruins my otherwise clear car. And its not like I am rolling the window down right away. Its hours later or the next day at it still comes back up wet. Its basically to the point where I don't bother rolling my windows down because of the wetness.

I have checked to make sure the bottom drains on the door are clear. As an experiment I took my girlfriends Hyundai Elantra to the car wash and then rolled the window down and up...nothing, no water at all. I don't get it.

I tried searching for this but couldn't find anything. Does anyone else experience this or just me?
Old 05-09-16, 04:07 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I have the same problem. and have had it on every car I have ever owned.

it is the felt weather strip on the outside of the door, it's supposed to act like a squeegee, doesn't do a very good job.

so what I do after washing the car, is to roll down the window and dry that strip with a dry towel, then roll up the windows and clean them..
you can also use air, either from a leaf blower or from an air compressor to blow dry that felt strip..

also a few hours in the hot sun will do it, I usually don't put the car inside after a wash, I let it sit in the sun for a few hours.
Old 05-10-16, 08:31 AM
rage2
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've owned a lot of cars over the years, and the RCF by far takes the longest to dry. Nearly 2 days (I park indoors out of the sun) before I can safely roll down my windows.

It's terrible for anyone with any form of OCD.
Old 05-10-16, 10:30 AM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Might be a by product of frameless windows. Had the very exact problem with my G35 Coupe. We just sorta dealt with it
Old 05-10-16, 10:47 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

oh and the trunk is worse.

make sure you pop up the wing and dry under it before opening the trunk, otherwise what happens is the trapped water will run down the trunk lid onto the rear window and the water that did make it into the water run off areas inside the trunk lid will drip into the trunk while the lid is up.
Old 05-16-16, 08:28 PM
yellow2112
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Jer2k
Hello everyone. I am a new RCF owner. Picked it up in February and it's a truly amazing car compared to what I have previously owned in my life.

I have one small complaint - water on the side windows after rolling them down then up again. If I wash my car by hand or get a car wash or it rains, I can't roll my windows down and then back up without a crazy amount of water on them. Of course when that water on the windows dries it ruins my otherwise clear car. And its not like I am rolling the window down right away. Its hours later or the next day at it still comes back up wet. Its basically to the point where I don't bother rolling my windows down because of the wetness.

I have checked to make sure the bottom drains on the door are clear. As an experiment I took my girlfriends Hyundai Elantra to the car wash and then rolled the window down and up...nothing, no water at all. I don't get it.

I tried searching for this but couldn't find anything. Does anyone else experience this or just me?

Never had this problem until i bought a 2014 IS350....was hoping it was just THAT car but sadly, my RCF is similar....It just can't be good for the door/electronics to have all that water trapped in there.
Old 05-16-16, 10:18 PM
da mayor
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just carry micro fibers.
Old 05-17-16, 06:12 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Every Lexus I've ever owned had this same issue.

- 1994 ES300
- 2001 GS430
- 2007 RX350
- 2013 GS350 F-Sport
- 2015 RCF

My wife now drives a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee and same thing. I thought this was just something normal lol.

Now I live in Miami so my windows are usually dry in a few hours since it's so hot, but 2-3 days to dry is ridiculous!