05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Sounds very "AMGish".

Old 04-30-16, 05:23 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

That Novel Ghoffner posted sounds very good to me. I actually like that a lot. That is what was a sports car should sound like. The Powerhouse one sounds like a 70s muscle car with old cheap glass packs we used to use in high school and does not at all fit the looks of an RC F.
Old 04-30-16, 11:18 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Amuse sounds soo nice.. Novel too..

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 04-30-16, 06:03 PM
4everkidd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DougHII
That Novel Ghoffner posted sounds very good to me. I actually like that a lot. That is what was a sports car should sound like. The Powerhouse one sounds like a 70s muscle car with old cheap glass packs we used to use in high school and does not at all fit the looks of an RC F.

I've got to agree... still waiting on an exhaust that screams/wails, rather than roars. The Novel is the closest thing yet, but at 13k

hopefully Ark pulls something out; if not I may go custom. I love my Apexi but I want a little bit more.
Old 04-30-16, 11:31 PM
da mayor
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The headers change up the sound a lot actually
Old 04-30-16, 11:43 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to agree the Novel sounds the best but the sound is not worth 13k. GTHAUS would be my second choice for sound and looks just as good as the Novel. The Powerhouse doesn't sound very good to my ear but worse is the way it looks..burnt tips (along with the silly stickers all over the glass) give the car a boy racer look and i much prefer oval tips to rounded.
Old 05-01-16, 05:23 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BOBFSPORT
I have to agree the Novel sounds the best but the sound is not worth 13k. GTHAUS would be my second choice for sound and looks just as good as the Novel. The Powerhouse doesn't sound very good to my ear but worse is the way it looks..burnt tips (along with the silly stickers all over the glass) give the car a boy racer look and i much prefer oval tips to rounded.
The GTHAUS was definitely gluteral and menacing. $13k for the Novel? I guess quality does come at a price. I am sure the long term experience and general mass production (compared to RC F) in cars such as Porsches and Ferraris has lead to better products at cheaper prices.

In the older Porsches, you also had cats, primary and secondary mufflers. Various bypass combinations could give different pitches. I had a NA 90s Ruf built out to a 3.8 with a cat and primary bypass that rumbled at low revs so loud I would set car alarms in parking garages off as I drove by some cars, but it wailed a sweet symphony at high RPMs. It also has super sweet spitting over runs with small flames at night. I regret letting that car go, a long story and didn't intend to, and still look for it to come back up for sale.
Old 05-01-16, 06:54 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

One thing I see missing in the thread is how the architecture and design of the engine dictates the potential acoustics of the engine/intake, which is why RCF will always sound different from a Ferrari 355.

RCF has a cross-plane V8 that revs up to 7300 rpm. The fact that Novel can make it sound so high pitched, is an achievement in itself. It will never sound like a flat plane crank V8 from Ferrari or Porsche 918. I could only wish more exhaust companies design their RCF exhaust acoustics like Novel at a cheaper price.

The biggest proof in the pudding is, Lexus is no stranger to exhaust/engine noises since they created the car that is well known to be considered as the GOD of all cars when it comes to engine/exhaust sounds by many (Clarkson, Jethro@Evo UK, Chris Harris and many others).

It had less to do with how Lexus/Yamaha tuned the exhaust/intake noise and more to do with the architecture and design elements of the engine.

A lot of the LFA sounds comes from its inherent characteristics of a 9500 rpm revving engine that was built from a 72 degree angle F1 V10 engine blueprint. Then there are other characteristics such as, the mean piston speeds and stroke of the engine (which in, LFA's case approaches F1 speed since it is so short stroked).

A V6 N/A or TT V6 or V8 of any type will never sound like an LFA. Heck, even a Lambo, Audi or BMW V10 will never sound like a stock LFA V10 because they were built using completely different architectures especially how the bank angle is 90 degrees in those cases and longer stroke of the engine.

Bottom line, how the engine is architected, built and engineered has a big impact on what the potential of the acoustics from the engine of the exhaust are

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 05-01-16 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-01-16, 08:04 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
One thing I see missing in the thread is how the architecture and design of the engine dictates the potential acoustics of the engine/intake, which is why RCF will always sound different from a Ferrari 355.

RCF has a cross-plane V8 that revs up to 7300 rpm. The fact that Novel can make it sound so high pitched, is an achievement in itself. It will never sound like a flat plane crank V8 from Ferrari or Porsche 918. I could only wish more exhaust companies design their RCF exhaust acoustics like Novel at a cheaper price.

The biggest proof in the pudding is, Lexus is no stranger to exhaust/engine noises since they created the car that is well known to be considered as the GOD of all cars when it comes to engine/exhaust sounds by many (Clarkson, Jethro@Evo UK, Chris Harris and many others).

It had less to do with how Lexus/Yamaha tuned the exhaust/intake noise and more to do with the architecture and design elements of the engine.

A lot of the LFA sounds comes from its inherent characteristics of a 9500 rpm revving engine that was built from a 72 degree angle F1 V10 engine blueprint. Then there are other characteristics such as, the mean piston speeds and stroke of the engine (which in, LFA's case approaches F1 speed since it is so short stroked).

A V6 N/A or TT V6 or V8 of any type will never sound like an LFA. Heck, even a Lambo, Audi or BMW V10 will never sound like a stock LFA V10 because they were built using completely different architectures especially how the bank angle is 90 degrees in those cases and longer stroke of the engine.

Bottom line, how the engine is architected, built and engineered has a big impact on what the potential of the acoustics from the engine of the exhaust are

Scott Pruett Demonstrates the LFA Launch Control on Vimeo

Lexus LFA on Top Gear test track - epic V10 sounds! - YouTube
I suppose you missed what I said in the first post of this thread:

"I get the flat plane crankshaft, firing order and a variety of factors impact sound, but I am not saying exactly like a Ferrari . . . and again, I have made 4 cylinder and flat 6s sing much more glorious tunes that a fart can chorus which can also be had on Italian and European cars if going with the crappy options."

It's not about sounding exactly like, just better than what most offerings for the RCF seem to offer. I have had some pretty killer wails out of a whole variety of engines including several you mentioned. It can be done.
Old 05-01-16, 08:38 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I suppose you missed what I said in the first post of this thread:

"I get the flat plane crankshaft, firing order and a variety of factors impact sound, but I am not saying exactly like a Ferrari . . . and again, I have made 4 cylinder and flat 6s sing much more glorious tunes that a fart can chorus which can also be had on Italian and European cars if going with the crappy options."

It's not about sounding exactly like, just better than what most offerings for the RCF seem to offer. I have had some pretty killer wails out of a whole variety of engines including several you mentioned. It can be done.
Yes, my post was not exactly directed towards you. I just went through the posts in the thread and it seemed like it was the elephant in the room and the narrative seemed to have become as to why RCF cannot attain a high pitched scream?

For example, if RCF revved up to even 7800 - 8000 rpm, with a shorter stroke, I am sure it would be much easier to attain the high pitched scream, which E90/E92 M3 can attain easily.

Although, yet again, I posted Novel exactly for that reason that it is by far the best exhaust that comes pretty close to the ideal noise. I think it makes RCF sound the best in its class (compared to aftermarket offerings for M4, C63, RS5 etc.) and I would be more than happy to have that, when I have an RCF. The only thing is, no other exhaust manufacturer has cracked how they made the exhaust sound so good especially at a cheaper price point.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 05-01-16 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-01-16, 09:14 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Yes, my post was not exactly directed towards you. I just went through the posts in the thread and it seemed like it was the elephant in the room and the narrative seemed to have become as to why RCF cannot attain a high pitched scream?

For example, if RCF revved up to even 7800 - 8000 rpm, with a shorter stroke, I am sure it would be much easier to attain the high pitched scream, which E90/E92 M3 can attain easily.

Although, yet again, I posted Novel exactly for that reason that it is by far the best exhaust that comes pretty close to the ideal noise. I think it makes RCF sound the best in its class (compared to aftermarket offerings for M4, C63, RS5 etc.) and I would be more than happy to have that, when I have an RCF. The only thing is, no other exhaust manufacturer has cracked how they made the exhaust sound so good especially at a cheaper price point.
Here is a Pagani, my favorite cars.

Old 05-01-16, 11:20 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Yet, another Novel exhaust video. What an incredible sound!

Old 05-02-16, 04:13 PM
RYLITT
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Anyone hear this one yet? Muffler delete, stock resonators. Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Various RC F aftermarket exhaust sounds