RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

A strange new problem with my RC F (not fuel pump?) plus others problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-16, 12:22 PM
brandonrcf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A strange new problem with my RC F (not fuel pump?) plus others problems

Today, I went to start my car and there was a hesitation... this has never happened before. There is no whirring, fan-like noise under my rear seat (so that leads me to believe that it is not the fuel pump?). When I accelerate, the sound from my car does not sound like it use to. I know that's not a very good description, but their appears to be a faint, but noticeable whining noise on acceleration. Also, when I brake, there is a noise (sounds like when you just washed your car and the brakes/rotors get wet, but they are completely dry). It is 90 degrees here today... but that's only 6-8 degrees higher than it has been. Nonetheless... with the hesitation on start-up (all 3 times today) and the car driving differently, I feel like something is up. Are there any problems that you guys know about other than the fuel pump? Could this be the beginning of the fuel pump going bad?

Other problems that I am having:

- the constant brake squeal... when I finally go to the dealer, I am requesting that they replace the pads.
- my active wing works sometimes, but most of the time it doesn't. If it does go up, it sometimes stays up and I can manually put it down.

Last edited by brandonrcf; 04-26-16 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-26-16, 01:33 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I had my active wing fixed under TSB at no charge.

I have not had my brakes looked at, but I believe there is a TSB for the brakes as well. One thing to keep in mind, these BREMBO brakes behaves the way you are describing, meaning normal. Similarly in other cars with similar big Brembo brakes. If you ask Lexus to swap out for less noisy brakes, then you run a risk of less performing brakes. Personally I rather have a little noise here and there knowing that I can stop on a dime if needed. There is a procedure you can do for you brakes, called "bedding" your brakes. Very easy. Just do a search on this CL.

Originally Posted by brandonrcf
Today, I went to start my car and there was a hesitation... this has never happened before. There is no whirring, fan-like noise under my rear seat (so that leads me to believe that it is not the fuel pump?). When I accelerate, the sound from my car does not sound like it use to. I know that's not a very good description, but their appears to be a faint, but noticeable whining noise on acceleration. Also, when I brake, there is a noise (sounds like when you just washed your car and the brakes/rotors get wet, but they are completely dry). It is 90 degrees here today... but that's only 6-8 degrees higher than it has been. Nonetheless... with the hesitation on start-up (all 3 times today) and the car driving differently, I feel like something is up. Are there any problems that you guys know about other than the fuel pump? Could this be the beginning of the fuel pump going bad?

Other problems that I am having:

- the constant brake squeal... when I finally go to the dealer, I am requesting that they replace the pads.
- my active wing works sometimes, but most of the time it doesn't. If it does go up, it sometimes stays up and I can manually put it down.
Old 04-26-16, 07:30 PM
yellow2112
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I had my active wing fixed under TSB at no charge.

I have not had my brakes looked at, but I believe there is a TSB for the brakes as well. One thing to keep in mind, these BREMBO brakes behaves the way you are describing, meaning normal. Similarly in other cars with similar big Brembo brakes. If you ask Lexus to swap out for less noisy brakes, then you run a risk of less performing brakes. Personally I rather have a little noise here and there knowing that I can stop on a dime if needed. There is a procedure you can do for you brakes, called "bedding" your brakes. Very easy. Just do a search on this CL.
My dealership told me to EXPECT longer stopping distances with the brake TSB and that exactly what you said...performance brakes squeak..

They wouldn't specify WHAT the distance difference would be, of course
Old 04-26-16, 07:54 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by yellow2112
My dealership told me to EXPECT longer stopping distances with the brake TSB and that exactly what you said...performance brakes squeak..

They wouldn't specify WHAT the distance difference would be, of course
That new stopping distance is the distance between you and the car stopped in front of you.
Old 04-26-16, 08:04 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Originally Posted by yellow2112
.performance brakes squeak..
Not if bedded in properly.

Lou
Old 04-26-16, 08:22 PM
brandonrcf
Rookie

Originally Posted by flowrider
Not if bedded in properly.

Lou
Well, at 1300 miles, is it too late to bed them properly??

I've also read that the higher performance pads wear down the rotors more and thus you replace the rotors with each brake job... Given that I have to drive into the city a few times each week (more brake wear) and this is my daily driver, I am trying to think more long-term. The reduced braking distance should be fine since I keep a good following distance. If it was to the point that I would ram another car... well that would be a safety hazard!

My car is at the dealership now. I went on a drive with the technician and he wasn't sure about the noise. I say that it doesn't sound normal and he thinks it is normal... But I've been driving the car all this time and it is different... so who knows. They are going to investigate the noise more and then I asked them to replace the pads but may retract if I can bed them in and if anyone knows if it's true that the rotors have to be replaced each brake job. They will also take a look at the active wing.
Old 04-26-16, 08:23 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Exactly, well said.

If the brake noise does not bother you all that much, then keep it the way it is.

If the brakes were bedded correctly, this is not a big deal in terms of noise.

The RC-F is meant to make some noise anyway. After all it is not a hybrid Pruis or ES300h.

Originally Posted by DougHII
That new stopping distance is the distance between you and the car stopped in front of you.
Old 04-26-16, 08:25 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Maybe the Lexus dealer technician can bed the brakes for you?

I've also read that the higher performance pads wear down the rotors more and thus you replace the rotors with each brake job... Given that I have to drive into the city a few times each week (more brake wear) and this is my daily driver, I am trying to think more long-term. The reduced braking distance should be fine since I keep a good following distance. If it was to the point that I would ram another car... well that would be a safety hazard!

My car is at the dealership now. I went on a drive with the technician and he wasn't sure about the noise. I say that it doesn't sound normal and he thinks it is normal... But I've been driving the car all this time and it is different... so who knows. They are going to investigate the noise more and then I asked them to replace the pads but may retract if I can bed them in and if anyone knows if it's true that the rotors have to be replaced each brake job. They will also take a look at the active wing.
Old 04-26-16, 08:34 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Also you will find that the brakes and tires will not last any where as long as some of the other cars on te the road. For example, tires on a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord can last up to like 80k+ miles depending on the tire. But on cars like RC-F, the rear tires will last like 20k miles, if you are lucky. Brakes like around 45k miles. Cars like RC-F by design has a different mission and goal in mind and that is to go FAST and stop FASTER (hopefully). All these performance abilities depends on "friction" (thereby causing heat) which is why things wear out faster.

Old 04-26-16, 09:16 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Maybe the Lexus dealer technician can bed the brakes for you?
Have you looked at the procedure for HI-PO pads? You would not want anyone to do this for you!

As far as replacing rotors with each paid change - No!

Lou
Old 04-27-16, 04:38 AM
Dbcooper13
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

803291-brake-squeal-and-dust-problem-resolved-oem-pads-4.html
Old 04-27-16, 06:06 AM
brandonrcf
Rookie

Also you will find that the brakes and tires will not last any where as long as some of the other cars on te the road. For example, tires on a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord can last up to like 80k+ miles depending on the tire. But on cars like RC-F, the rear tires will last like 20k miles, if you are lucky. Brakes like around 45k miles. Cars like RC-F by design has a different mission and goal in mind and that is to go FAST and stop FASTER (hopefully). All these performance abilities depends on "friction" (thereby causing heat) which is why things wear out faster.
45,000 miles on the brakes of the RC F?? I would think more like 15-20,000 miles.
Old 04-27-16, 06:10 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I can only hope since I do mostly long distance hi way miles on the RC-F. ☺

45,000 miles on the brakes of the RC F?? I would think more like 15-20,000 miles.
Old 04-27-16, 06:12 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I got 23k on fronts with pretty hard driving. No track though and a good bit of highway miles. The rears still have 30% so I only changed the fronts.
Old 04-27-16, 06:20 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Lexus technician can not do the following? ???

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/bed-in-theory-definitions-and-procedures/stock-brake-system-bed-in

Originally Posted by flowrider
Have you looked at the procedure for HI-PO pads? You would not want anyone to do this for you!

As far as replacing rotors with each paid change - No!

Lou

Quick Reply: A strange new problem with my RC F (not fuel pump?) plus others problems