RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Paint Protection Film - Do it Yourself?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-16, 01:03 PM
Phinatic
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Paint Protection Film - Do it Yourself?

Was doing a search for a leather bra, but came up empty. Saw quite a few sites offering pre-cut 3M and Xpel PPF.

Has anyone gone the pre-cut route and installed yourself?

Was it difficult?
Old 04-19-16, 09:05 PM
da mayor
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's like doing a paint correction. I'd leave it to the pros
Old 04-20-16, 12:59 AM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

I do paint correction myself on every new car I receive with dealer installed swirls marks (all of them). With a decent Dual action polisher anyone can do it but it is a long and tedious task. Would I try to install paint protection film myself ? Hell no. Installing protection films and/or window tints takes years to master and I can guarantee it will look like poop if you try it yourself.
Old 04-20-16, 07:53 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BOBFSPORT
I do paint correction myself on every new car I receive with dealer installed swirls marks (all of them). With a decent Dual action polisher anyone can do it but it is a long and tedious task. Would I try to install paint protection film myself ? Hell no. Installing protection films and/or window tints takes years to master and I can guarantee it will look like poop if you try it yourself.
hhahahaha. i was thinking 'easy as correcting paint? where can i buy the film?!?!?!'.
Old 04-20-16, 12:56 PM
Phinatic
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by da mayor
It's like doing a paint correction. I'd leave it to the pros
Thanks for your input guys. I'm not looking to save a few bucks, albeit that's always nice, I've been having trouble finding a reputable shop to do the install.

Although Euro's love their sports cars, they don't pamper them like we do, so not too many shops offer PPF.
Old 04-20-16, 04:25 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Phinatic
Was doing a search for a leather bra, but came up empty. Saw quite a few sites offering pre-cut 3M and Xpel PPF.

Has anyone gone the pre-cut route and installed yourself?

Was it difficult?
I couldn't find ANYBODY around here that sold & installed it, even the shops that do body wraps, etc... so i ended up getting Suntek Self Healing off of ebay for $280 & it was Pre-Cut. Still couldn't find anybody that wanted to install it (seems like most of the guys around here are Scared to mess with a car that's as Expensive as the RCF is) but i finally got my Body shop guys to do it, they pretty much do everything on all my cars & they have the Heat Guns & the guys to do it. Needless to say i ended up taking it back off cause the fit was Horrible. They couldn't even put the front piece on cause it was so off, got to admit the RCF front does have some curves though. Ended up sending it back to the company & they Refunded my money minus 20% re-stocking fee after i sent them pics of it installed on my car. These are a few of the Better Pics
Attached Thumbnails Paint Protection Film - Do it Yourself?-img_1563.jpg   Paint Protection Film - Do it Yourself?-img_1564.jpg  
Old 04-20-16, 05:15 PM
MGB1120
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
I couldn't find ANYBODY around here that sold & installed it, even the shops that do body wraps, etc... so i ended up getting Suntek Self Healing off of ebay for $280 & it was Pre-Cut. Still couldn't find anybody that wanted to install it (seems like most of the guys around here are Scared to mess with a car that's as Expensive as the RCF is) but i finally got my Body shop guys to do it, they pretty much do everything on all my cars & they have the Heat Guns & the guys to do it. Needless to say i ended up taking it back off cause the fit was Horrible. They couldn't even put the front piece on cause it was so off, got to admit the RCF front does have some curves though. Ended up sending it back to the company & they Refunded my money minus 20% re-stocking fee after i sent them pics of it installed on my car. These are a few of the Better Pics
I only have 300 miles on mine and thought it was dirt and have all these little rock chips already on both front bottom fenders? Is that pretty normal or is there something wrong with the paint? My IS never chipped this easy, Frustrating

Last edited by MGB1120; 04-20-16 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-20-16, 06:53 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Originally Posted by MGB1120
I only have 300 miles on mine and thought it was dirt and have all these little rock chips already on both front bottom fenders? Is that pretty normal or is there something wrong with the paint? My IS never chipped this easy, Frustrating
I wouldn't think so, but what kind of roads do you normally drive on. With only 300 miles especially, did you look under there before you bought it? Though, i doubt it was like that before you bought it since it's still only got 300 miles on it. Definitely doesn't seem Normal, but i would think it has to do with your driving habits & the type of roads you drive on. At least it's underneath where most people can't see it (though it's kinda hard to tell by the pic) here you can get the touch up spray cans especially for your vehicle at Crow-Burlingame. jmo

Last edited by johnnyreb; 04-20-16 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-20-16, 07:01 PM
MGB1120
Pole Position

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
I wouldn't think so, but what kind of roads do you normally drive on. With only 300 miles especially, did you look under there before you bought it? Though, i doubt it was like that before you bought it since it's still only got 300 miles on it. Definitely doesn't seem Normal, but i would think it has to do with your driving habits & the type of roads you drive on. At least it's underneath where most people can't see it (though it's kinda hard to tell by the pic) here you can get the touch up spray cans especially for your vehicle at Crow-Burlingame. jmo
Was not there when I purchased it, Regular city roads no highway i haven't even broken the car in yet past 65mph, no rock chips anywhere else not even on front side of front fender or back fender nothing at all, that's what is weird, wonder if there's something wrong with the paint in that area

Last edited by MGB1120; 04-20-16 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-20-16, 09:04 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Those are ALL chips, it looks like that could be some road tar or some kind of road goop. Have you already tried something like Goof-off or some kind of cleaner to try & remove it. Man, i can't believe ALL of those are really chips, that Definitely doesn't seem normal & that's on a white car i couldn't imagine how it would look on my blue or a black one. Either way, if i was you after i got it repainted i would Definitely get Xpel or SunTek protection on it.
Old 04-21-16, 01:14 AM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Those do not look like chips at all, more like tar marks. You need to clay bar the area and use some wd-40 (yes it is clearcoat safe).

Last edited by BOBFSPORT; 04-21-16 at 01:18 AM.
Old 04-21-16, 05:07 AM
Styx250sx
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use bug and tar removal for my ultra white Lexus. I always get build up in that same area from new construction on the interstate.
The following users liked this post:
MCB1970 (04-28-20)
Old 04-21-16, 05:54 AM
MGB1120
Pole Position

Those do not look like chips at all, more like tar marks. You need to clay bar the area and use some wd-40 (yes it is clearcoat safe).
There chips, feel it with my finger nail, I waxed the whole area thought it was tar, but what's confusing me is its only in that one spot, the front of the fenders are good and the back has no spots either!
Old 04-25-20, 04:47 PM
Lexus376
Driver School Candidate

Whether this makes sense depends on the type of car owner you are. I certainly don't dust my cars, much less wash them often. And I keep them much longer than four years. On the other hand, this feature should work for people who take great care of their cars and swap them out every couple of years.
Old 06-05-20, 08:41 PM
thanhsayz
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Me and a buddy bought 3m PPF off eBay from a seller name northtints. We installed it on his GSF and it was a pain in the ***. He had to make some relief cuts here and there but overall it didn’t look terrible when it was done. There definitely is a learning curve and the 3m pro material is super thick. Make sure to do a premix with alcohol to help the adhesive stick around inside edges and a thin microfiber and a squeegee out the excess water. Without the microfiber on the squeegee the water just runs out and back in and under the film.
The following users liked this post:
MCB1970 (06-06-20)

Quick Reply: Paint Protection Film - Do it Yourself?