RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Left the Lexus Family. I'll Miss Everyone!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-16, 09:18 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Left the Lexus Family. I'll Miss Everyone!

I've been getting the itch for a 4-door sedan and today I made the move. I still wanted performance, excitement, style and was willing to sacrifice a little bit in quality and ride comfort.

I traded my 2015 RC-F that was a little over a year old with just a tad over 2,100 miles on it for a black on black 2016 Dodge Charger Hell Cat with 3 miles on the clock. I did take a bit of a hit on it but was able to feel comfortable with the deal the dealership was able to provide me.

It will be a while before the car will allow me to engage the launch control and fully utilize the power on tap when using one of the two RED keys. For the time being, the BLACK key and the 500 or so horse power will have to do.

The sound of the exhaust at cold startup is incredible and mellows to a wonderful rumble after the engine warms up a bit. The ever-present whine of the supercharger is a delight and will take some getting used to after the almost whisper quiet operation of the RC-F at anything short of putting the pedal to the metal. Dodge did a good job on that aspect of the car.

The interior, although not Spartan by any means, is definitely not up to Lexus standards but, then again, I knew that getting into the vehicle.

I've enjoyed you guys 'n' gals and all the help you've so freely given to everyone over the years and will continue to visit from time to time. Take care and, above all, be safe!
Old 04-11-16, 09:26 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Nice hp upgrade! Is the hellcat still selling at a premium or were you able to get a discount? Post pics!
Old 04-11-16, 10:36 PM
IMCHIA
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Congrats on the Hellcat. Quite a bit of power!
Old 04-12-16, 06:05 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
I've been getting the itch for a 4-door sedan and today I made the move. I still wanted performance, excitement, style and was willing to sacrifice a little bit in quality and ride comfort.

I traded my 2015 RC-F that was a little over a year old with just a tad over 2,100 miles on it for a black on black 2016 Dodge Charger Hell Cat with 3 miles on the clock. I did take a bit of a hit on it but was able to feel comfortable with the deal the dealership was able to provide me.

It will be a while before the car will allow me to engage the launch control and fully utilize the power on tap when using one of the two RED keys. For the time being, the BLACK key and the 500 or so horse power will have to do.

The sound of the exhaust at cold startup is incredible and mellows to a wonderful rumble after the engine warms up a bit. The ever-present whine of the supercharger is a delight and will take some getting used to after the almost whisper quiet operation of the RC-F at anything short of putting the pedal to the metal. Dodge did a good job on that aspect of the car.

The interior, although not Spartan by any means, is definitely not up to Lexus standards but, then again, I knew that getting into the vehicle.

I've enjoyed you guys 'n' gals and all the help you've so freely given to everyone over the years and will continue to visit from time to time. Take care and, above all, be safe!

62 A. H. Sprite (sold), 64 TR-4 (sold), Corvette 427 c.i. 435 h.p. (sold), 73 Chevy Nova SS-350 427 c.i. (sold), 82 & 89 Porsche 928s (sold), 90 Taurus SHO (sold), 96 Fix Or Repair Daily Taurus (sold), 95 SC-400 (sold), 99 Corvette (sold), 02 Corvette Z-06 (sold), 04 SC-430 (sold), 06 GS-300AWD (sold), 09 Mazda CX-7 (sold), 08 IS-F MMR (sold), 11 Grand Cherokee (current), 13 GS-350 RR (sold), 15 RC-F Sonic Silver Metallic (sold), 16 Challenger SRT Hell Cat Black (current).
Did you get the Charger or Challenger? I'm asking because you mentioned a Charger in your post, but your signature shows Challenger. These cars intrigue me a lot, but I haven't been able to bring myself to pull the trigger for some reason.

Congrats on the Hellcat, I'm sure you'll enjoy either one, and as someone else mentioned post a few pics.

Last edited by JT4; 04-12-16 at 06:18 AM.
Old 04-12-16, 01:19 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JT4
Did you get the Charger or Challenger? I'm asking because you mentioned a Charger in your post, but your signature shows Challenger. These cars intrigue me a lot, but I haven't been able to bring myself to pull the trigger for some reason.

Congrats on the Hellcat, I'm sure you'll enjoy either one, and as someone else mentioned post a few pics.
Thanks and I will change my signature! It's the 4-door Charger. Here's the only time I will say this, but thank God for Virginia and its front license plate requirement!!!! The car is quite a bit longer than the RC-F and the tool box in the front of the garage has marks to prove it Luckily, the plate and my ego are the only things that were scratched.

Regarding not being able to pull the trigger, I can understand that. Interior quality and choice of materials is behind what Lexus does but the amazing "tailor-ability" of the suspension, launch control tuning (once I get past a certain number of miles, etc.) and the different performance maps in the application section of the on-board electronics package is really cool. I also understand that there are aftermarket performance tweaks available because the ECU is not locked down hard but that was just the salesman talking so I don't know for sure.

Also, the car came with "all season" Pirelli P Zero Nero tires which surprised me.

Last edited by jkeifer3; 04-12-16 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-12-16, 01:26 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ssmoked
Nice hp upgrade! Is the hellcat still selling at a premium or were you able to get a discount? Post pics!
Not much dealing from my dealer at least. I got $1,500 off sticker and my RC-F brought $54,500 (I paid sticker back in the day on that one) on the trade.
Old 04-12-16, 05:12 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I saw a red two door version in my parking garage today. Looked pretty bad ****. How many hp does the 2 and 4 doors gave. The red said SRT on the back, cat on the side and supercharged on hood. I assume this is the same as yours but 2 door.
Old 04-12-16, 05:21 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

the Charger is nice looking car, but having been a Mopar ASE tech in my former life (up until their bankruptcy in 2009), I will never recommend or purchase a Chrysler product.

good luck to you.

I might suggest lxforums.com for your Mopar community needs, a ton of good folk over there.
Old 04-12-16, 05:34 PM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by DougHII
I saw a red two door version in my parking garage today. Looked pretty bad ****. How many hp does the 2 and 4 doors gave. The red said SRT on the back, cat on the side and supercharged on hood. I assume this is the same as yours but 2 door.
You probably saw the Challenger Hellcat which is a 2 door. The Charger comes only 4 door. They both share the same engine, a 6.2L V8 with 707hp

Nice car, the Charger. I really like how they look but I don't know about going from the Luxury of the RC-F to the Dodge... it's like different worlds but if you want power, I think it's tough to beat a car like that nowadays. But anyways, congratz!
Old 04-13-16, 05:19 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DougHII
As was mentioned, same HP in either the 2- or the 4-door versions. The only emblems on the car are SRT and a couple of smallish kitty cats on either side behind the front wheels. No indication of being supercharged.
Old 04-13-16, 05:20 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Slash300zx
You probably saw the Challenger Hellcat which is a 2 door. The Charger comes only 4 door. They both share the same engine, a 6.2L V8 with 707hp

Nice car, the Charger. I really like how they look but I don't know about going from the Luxury of the RC-F to the Dodge... it's like different worlds but if you want power, I think it's tough to beat a car like that nowadays. But anyways, congratz!
Yup, luxury is quite a bit less in, I think, both build quality and choice of materials but I knew that going in.
Old 04-13-16, 05:49 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
Thanks and I will change my signature! It's the 4-door Charger. Here's the only time I will say this, but thank God for Virginia and its front license plate requirement!!!! The car is quite a bit longer than the RC-F and the tool box in the front of the garage has marks to prove it Luckily, the plate and my ego are the only things that were scratched.

Regarding not being able to pull the trigger, I can understand that. Interior quality and choice of materials is behind what Lexus does but the amazing "tailor-ability" of the suspension, launch control tuning (once I get past a certain number of miles, etc.) and the different performance maps in the application section of the on-board electronics package is really cool. I also understand that there are aftermarket performance tweaks available because the ECU is not locked down hard but that was just the salesman talking so I don't know for sure.

Also, the car came with "all season" Pirelli P Zero Nero tires which surprised me.
Actually I'm not too concerned about the interior quality as much as dealing with Dodge/SRT service departments. I know a few people that have or had SRT Jeeps or Challengers and each one of them always complains about the service departments of their dealers.

One said that he would rather go to the dentist then bring his vehicle in for service. Now granted, these aren't my experiences but when you hear the same type of thing over and over again from different people, about different dealers, it's enough to make me second guess.

You lucked out on the all season tires, I would have thought they would have given you summer performance tires with that beast. On the street and in your climate you will be better off with the A/S tires, especially when the weather is cold.

Again, best of luck...

Last edited by JT4; 04-13-16 at 05:54 AM.
Old 04-13-16, 09:11 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on the hellcat it's an awesome car. If you truly got ANY money off sticker you got one hell of a deal. I work at a Dodge/Chrysler dealer and we've never had either a Challenger or Charger Hellcat sell for any less than $10k over sticker. I've seen them go for as much as $40k abover sticker in this area.

I had the opportunity and was actually considering the Charger hellcat and the SRT8 Grand Cherokee before leasing the RCF but I've always had Lexus vehicles and just couldn't deal with the difference in quality. The cars are fast as can be, but just feel lacking in some departments. If you're looking for all out power and performance under $100k you cant beat it, but for Luxury and quality I'll stick with lexus all day (500 hp is enough for me, for now). When the Grand Cherokee Track Hawk releases though I may have to reconsider depending on the price .

Again, congrats on the hellcat man, I can promise it will put a smile on your face every time you drive with the RED key.
Old 04-14-16, 10:44 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Congrats on the Hellcat. It's a beast. I almost wonder how much time can be shaved if it were AWD.

Old 04-14-16, 11:38 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Picture or it never happened.

Hate to see you go!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886

Quick Reply: Left the Lexus Family. I'll Miss Everyone!