RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Encourage me to keep my car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-16, 05:06 PM
brandonrcf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Encourage me to keep my car?

I have a 2015 Lexus RC F with 800 miles. It has some [nothing major, just scrapes] damage to the underside of the front bumper and the underside of the passenger side rocker panel. The rocker panel is being replaced and the front bumper is being repainted (I think only the underside gets new paint, but the other parts get a new clear coat? Not sure exactly).

Anyways... I feel like I can't keep the car anymore. I love my RC F. But I am turned away from the RC F now... primarily worried about resale value. I do not keep cars long, maybe 6 months to a year, and we all know that RC Fs have not held their value very well thus far.

Considering that, I am looking to trade my RC F for a certified IS. It'll be a huge difference, but I am trying to minimize my financial loss. The trade-in would put me at a total loss of $10,000.

Thoughts? There are so many RC Fs on the market, I can't imagine trying to sell one that has had some paint work and a part replaced.
Old 04-07-16, 05:09 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

My friend was cheating on his wife, with 19 different women. Asked me to convince him to stay married. His mind was already gone.

I bought a 2016 WRX, cash purchase, December 20. Sold it January 28, with 858 miles.

My mazdaspeed miata, bought new, ran over object on highway, needed new transmission at 1700 miles. Sold it after I got it back from dealership.

Cars are an emotional purchase. Otherwise we would be driving 1980 Corolla, instead of RCF.

Do what your heart says. Once my mind says "I don't want the car" no one can convince me to keep the car, myself included.

I say good riddance .
Old 04-07-16, 05:13 PM
brandonrcf
Rookie

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
My friend was cheating on his wife, with 19 different women. Asked me to convince him to stay married. His mind was already gone.

I bought a 2016 WRX, cash purchase, December 20. Sold it January 28, with 858 miles.

My mazdaspeed miata, bought new, ran over object on highway, needed new transmission at 1700 miles. Sold it after I got it back from dealership.

Cars are an emotional purchase. Otherwise we would be driving 1980 Corolla, instead of RCF.

Do what your heart says. Once my mind says "I don't want the car" no one can convince me to keep the car, myself included.

I say good riddance .
This might explain why I've owned 8 different cars in the past 3 years.

Honestly, I usually buy something that I do not want, but somehow my mind talks me into buying it. The RC F was something that I truly wanted, but bearing what has happened, my mind is saying to run.
Old 04-07-16, 05:14 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Your diseases is better than mine.

I am on car #53
bike #11

I buy things I like, I get tired, I get new one.

I used to that with women. Stopped it. Now I do it with cars/bikes only

At least I don't do drugs, or smoke, or drink... (what I tell to justify myself)

I think if I did hookers and blow, my addiction would be cheaper...

I have done all things to cure my addiction. Forced myself to lease a Lexus CT, figuring I wouldn't get out of a lease. Cash purchases, finances. I need to go see a professional..nothing works....
Old 04-07-16, 05:28 PM
FSportDRM
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
Your diseases is better than mine.

I am on car #53
bike #11

I buy things I like, I get tired, I get new one.

I used to that with women. Stopped it. Now I do it with cars/bikes only

At least I don't do drugs, or smoke, or drink... (what I tell to justify myself)

I think if I did hookers and blow, my addiction would be cheaper...

I have done all things to cure my addiction. Forced myself to lease a Lexus CT, figuring I wouldn't get out of a lease. Cash purchases, finances. I need to go see a professional..nothing works....
I'm glad I read this! Im on #22..... life is short..

OP there is no cure, get rid of it and get something you like. If I were you instead of an IS I would go look at a 228i with M Sport package and take the $6000 discount to minimize your loss.....until next year....
Old 04-07-16, 05:33 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Agree, I wouldn't get a IS.

Many of us have this addiction. Few of us are wiling to admit it publicly
Old 04-07-16, 05:36 PM
brandonrcf
Rookie

Originally Posted by FSportDRM
I'm glad I read this! Im on #22..... life is short..

OP there is no cure, get rid of it and get something you like. If I were you instead of an IS I would go look at a 228i with M Sport package and take the $6000 discount to minimize your loss.....until next year....
My last BMW made my decide to never own another BMW.

I had an E60 M5 (just out of warranty), in 6 months I replaced the battery cable, clutch position sensor, hydraulic unit, thermostat, brakes, rotors, tires, boy what a mistake that car was.
Old 04-07-16, 05:54 PM
Frog98
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Just my $ .02, but I would drive it for a while and enjoy it. You have already taken the initial depreciation. It's had it's first scratch. I've enjoyed some of my cars the most once they are no longer "perfect" and get broken in. But like Ryan said, if it bothers you and you can afford it...trade it. You only live once. No reason to be unhappy.
Old 04-07-16, 05:56 PM
FR500GT
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by brandonrcf
My last BMW made my decide to never own another BMW.

I had an E60 M5 (just out of warranty), in 6 months I replaced the battery cable, clutch position sensor, hydraulic unit, thermostat, brakes, rotors, tires, boy what a mistake that car was.
At least the Vanos didn't go out.. lol
Old 04-07-16, 05:58 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

I have a 2015 Lexus RC F with 800 miles. It has some [nothing major, just scrapes] damage to the underside of the front bumper and the underside of the passenger side rocker panel. The rocker panel is being replaced and the front bumper is being repainted (I think only the underside gets new paint, but the other parts get a new clear coat? Not sure exactly).

Anyways... I feel like I can't keep the car anymore. I love my RC F. But I am turned away from the RC F now... primarily worried about resale value. I do not keep cars long, maybe 6 months to a year, and we all know that RC Fs have not held their value very well thus far.

Considering that, I am looking to trade my RC F for a certified IS. It'll be a huge difference, but I am trying to minimize my financial loss. The trade-in would put me at a total loss of $10,000.

Thoughts? There are so many RC Fs on the market, I can't imagine trying to sell one that has had some paint work and a part replaced.
I think you have already decided, and if so, no time like the present. Question for ya, is where did you calculate a loss. Are Certified IS, holding that much value over your basically mint RC-F?
Old 04-07-16, 06:19 PM
brandonrcf
Rookie

Originally Posted by FR500GT
At least the Vanos didn't go out.. lol
No, but my mechanic told me my engine was failing (rec. replacing the rod bearings) and needless to say, that car was gone the next day. That's what it's like to own an E60 BMW M5 with 60K miles.
Old 04-07-16, 06:20 PM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why are you posting this question? What possible difference would it make what anyone replied?
Old 04-07-16, 06:24 PM
brandonrcf
Rookie

Originally Posted by coolsaber
I think you have already decided, and if so, no time like the present. Question for ya, is where did you calculate a loss. Are Certified IS, holding that much value over your basically mint RC-F?
I am calculating the loss from taxes, fees, clear bra, the lesser amount than I paid, plus paying taxes again on the new car. Well, it'll be more than $10,000. The certified ISs that I am looking at are $31-32K with 10-20K miles.

Really, I am worried about the future loss of value for the RC F (esp. for one that has had paint work), which doesn't appear to be getting any better IMO.
Old 04-07-16, 06:59 PM
ba2sy
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I guess it's a loss if you're thinking/planning on selling it in the near future. But if you kept it, there's no loss because you still have it and enjoy it as you please modding/tracking/speeding/car shows/meets/whatever there is to do with the RCF or any car in general.
Old 04-07-16, 06:59 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I am calculating the loss from taxes, fees, clear bra, the lesser amount than I paid, plus paying taxes again on the new car. Well, it'll be more than $10,000. The certified ISs that I am looking at are $31-32K with 10-20K miles.

Really, I am worried about the future loss of value for the RC F (esp. for one that has had paint work), which doesn't appear to be getting any better IMO.
If i were you, i wouldn't worry about Underside Scratches...Resale wouldn't hurt due to the scratches being underneath the car.

Resale will be pretty decent for RCF in the future, Historically speaking ISFs are holding their value much stronger than the competition (i.e. M3, C63s) plus ISFs were sold at huge discount when they first came out...People easily received 10-15k off on 2008s.

You would be more upside down if you trade your RCF now for another car...But if you are unhappy with it, get the car you want

Quick Reply: Encourage me to keep my car?