RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Slipping/hesitation in 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-16, 07:59 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Slipping/hesitation in 2nd gear

When car is fully warmed up, I notice in Sport+ (manual mode) when accelerating in 2nd gear right around 2000-2200RPMs, I get a slipping/hesitation before it corrects itself and is fine. Mostly with slow acceleration...fast acceleration doesn't really trigger this.

Also when decelerating and coming to slow stop, sometimes it jams/jams into first gear on its own. Doesn't happen all the time but sometimes.

Overall, I still like the tranny and finding which mode works best in which situation like bumper2bumper traffic, light traffic, slow driving, etc...

Does this happen to anyone else?

Last edited by Ne1tHeRe; 04-07-16 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-07-16, 08:24 AM
Santanas
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess the 2nd gear hesitation happens to all of us
Old 04-07-16, 08:34 AM
crazymikie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed the same thing driving through my neighborhood- I was going to ask the dealer about it when I went in for the 10k service.

You can actually see the tach jump around, right?
Old 04-07-16, 09:00 AM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

same thing here but it's not that big of a deal, at least to me. It's worse in auto then manual.
Old 04-07-16, 09:34 AM
MHB1535
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

The only time I notice it is when the transmission is still cold. Usually the first time it upshifts into second gear since it was started is when it hesitates/slips but after that I never experience it.
Old 04-07-16, 09:44 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Originally Posted by crazymikie
I noticed the same thing driving through my neighborhood- I was going to ask the dealer about it when I went in for the 10k service.

You can actually see the tach jump around, right?
Yes, you see and feel it. I was going to inquire about it when I take mine in for my 1k servicing. I am actually at 1200 miles now. Driving my Forester now while waiting to get my GS back from being Xpel'd and Opticoat'd

Originally Posted by MHB1535
The only time I notice it is when the transmission is still cold. Usually the first time it upshifts into second gear since it was started is when it hesitates/slips but after that I never experience it.
Car is very hesitant all around until it is warmed up properly...but I see it even after warmed up.
Old 04-07-16, 10:12 AM
MHB1535
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Ne1tHeRe
Yes, you see and feel it. I was going to inquire about it when I take mine in for my 1k servicing. I am actually at 1200 miles now. Driving my Forester now while waiting to get my GS back from being Xpel'd and Opticoat'd

Car is very hesitant all around until it is warmed up properly...but I see it even after warmed up.
I definitely can see the tach move and hear the engine sound. Once the car is warmed up, I hardly ever accelerate slowly.
Old 04-07-16, 11:01 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Originally Posted by MHB1535
I definitely can see the tach move and hear the engine sound. Once the car is warmed up, I hardly ever accelerate slowly.
I don't want to drive slow but traffic is abundant in my area on a daily basis

I will have to run through all setting for both Auto and Manual mode to see if I have any other glitches/nuisances come up. I will post those as well.
Old 04-07-16, 11:27 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

as others have said, when the car is cold it hesitates.

also note in ECO or Normal mode it has a lag down shifting from the higher gears if you go WOT, my opinion is that the hesitation is a combination of the car trying to come out of Atkinson cycle and the transmission trying to down shift from 7th/8th to 2nd/3rd.

I have noticed that in ECO/Normal mode it takes 3-5 miles to warm up, but in Sport+ mode I can get the oil temp and engine temp to center within 1-2 miles.

also I don't experience the hesitation in Sport or Sport+, only in ECO or Normal. This is why I believe it is the Atkinson cycle contributing to the issue, in Sport/Sport+ the car doesn't go into Atkinson cycle.
Old 04-07-16, 11:43 AM
crazymikie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My hesitation only happens in S+ mode- i don't have the issue in normal mode and it's when the car is completely warmed up. When I get home from work after a 20 min commute, driving through my neighborhood, I experience this.

Originally Posted by mjeds
as others have said, when the car is cold it hesitates.

also note in ECO or Normal mode it has a lag down shifting from the higher gears if you go WOT, my opinion is that the hesitation is a combination of the car trying to come out of Atkinson cycle and the transmission trying to down shift from 7th/8th to 2nd/3rd.

I have noticed that in ECO/Normal mode it takes 3-5 miles to warm up, but in Sport+ mode I can get the oil temp and engine temp to center within 1-2 miles.

also I don't experience the hesitation in Sport or Sport+, only in ECO or Normal. This is why I believe it is the Atkinson cycle contributing to the issue, in Sport/Sport+ the car doesn't go into Atkinson cycle.
Old 04-07-16, 01:23 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by crazymikie
My hesitation only happens in S+ mode- i don't have the issue in normal mode and it's when the car is completely warmed up. When I get home from work after a 20 min commute, driving through my neighborhood, I experience this.

I mostly feel it in the morning making the turn out of my neighbor onto a fast moving highway, it is most apparent to me during rolling/coasting turns, as I accelerate out of the turn.
Old 04-07-16, 01:27 PM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Originally Posted by mjeds
I mostly feel it in the morning making the turn out of my neighbor onto a fast moving highway, it is most apparent to me during rolling/coasting turns, as I accelerate out of the turn.
You sure you are not confusing this with tire slippage/loss of traction?
Old 04-07-16, 01:28 PM
rmsimmonsj
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Happens here too. Clunking from 2nd to 1st also. Hot or Cold and at random times. Guess its normal.
Old 04-07-16, 01:56 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't notice any "slipping" which you should be able to see on the car's tach, but I do get horrible throttle response, lag or sag, whatever you want to call it, that is appalling in a car like this. Maybe it's the transition from Atkinson cycle that everyone talks about.
Old 04-07-16, 02:03 PM
ecruz0884
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i thought I was the only one!!! I almost always drive in sport or sport+ plus mode and mostly in manual mode and notice the rpm drop for a split second, kind of like a misfire. It always happens around 2200 and at 2800 rpms. I wanted to take it to the dealer but now that I did the exhaust I have a feeling they will say its because of the exhaust. My 5k service is coming up.

Quick Reply: Slipping/hesitation in 2nd gear