RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Ride Quality

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-16, 06:45 AM
Curtis2000
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ride Quality

I'm a new owner of a 15 RC-F. I'm new to owning a sports car. I've only driving a family member's Corvette Stingray a year or two ago. I don't recall what that one was like when it comes to ride quality. I didn't get a chance to test drive the F on the highways. I was pretty much sold watching enough review videos, etc.

The one thing I'm noticing is how you feel all the waves in the road. It's very smooth regarding the bumps but I feel so much of the waves and how much of an up and down it is. I'm in Texas and driving on concrete highways, which most of ours are in really good shape. Is this normal in all sports cars or do some like the Vette or M4 do a much better job with that? I never test drove any of those. I've always been a Lexus lover so I never really considered any other brand. Plus, I don't want it to die on me right after the warranty expires. Lexus has the best reliability rep.

Maybe I'm just used to the ride quality of an RX. Time will tell. I can get car sick under certain conditions but never when I'm the driver. So not sure how I will be able to handle this on longer trips.

Any thoughts or input you mind sharing would be great.

Curtis
Old 04-06-16, 08:10 AM
kdu
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had time behind the wheel of the RC F as an owner and my friend's M4 back to back. As far as sports cars go, the Lexus is actually on the soft side in my opinion. Both the springs and the dampers aren't as aggressive as some other sports cars and the ride is actually very civil considering it's track capability (based on reviews). I've only driven it on the street and I consider ride quality to be excellent for what the car is. On the flip side people complain of body lean, etc.

The M4 had adjustable dampers and I can telly you that the overall ride in the least aggressive setting is a little more compliant than the Lexus, but with all the setting turned up you can feel every spec of dust in the road. That bounce (wave) you feel is totally normal. You will get used to it after a week or two. Worst case scenario you are about $3.5k away from being able to have a fully adjustable suspension.
Old 04-06-16, 08:15 AM
Curtis2000
Driver School Candidate

Thank you very much for your feedback!

What do you mean by "Worst case scenario you are about $3.5k away from being able to have a fully adjustable suspension."

I'm still excited about having the car, been wanting one for yrs.
Old 04-06-16, 08:29 AM
kdu
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are suspension options on the market that allow you to adjust ride height and damping/rebound, etc. Most people use them to enhance the handling characteristics of the car. It will allow you to customize how the car rides for those that want to dial things in for track and street duty. With an adjustable setup you can essentially tune the car to behave a specific way. I highly doubt you will need this, but there are a few good posts on CL about this setup if you are interested.

http://www.rr-racing.com/Racing-Pens...rcxfsu0002.htm
Old 04-06-16, 08:47 AM
Curtis2000
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! I get a little nervous going in and changing things like that. You are undoing what Lexus has done, all their research, etc. I would like to think they know what they are doing, etc. I'll stick to what I have. Thank you very much for that info.