RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Getting to know your RC F - what have you learned?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-16, 05:02 AM
kdu
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting to know your RC F - what have you learned?

I saw one of these threads in a different forum and I figured since we barely have any new discussions here on CL I will give it a shot. I make no excuses if this same exact topic has already been covered...

List the good, the bad and the ugly or just the stuff you discovered about your car, car buying process, etc.

Here are a few of mine:

1. The weight of the car doesn't bother me at all. In aggressive daily driving this thing handles like a champ.
  2. The audio sounded awful until I turned off surround sound and tweaked all the setting for each source independently.
  3. Nobody knows how performance oriented this car is, just that it looks cool. Someone asked if it had a 4 cylinder or a 6. I told them it was a plug in electric.
  4. I gave up cleaning the wheels because they get dirty from brake dust after a five minute drive
  5. If you double tap the track pad it acts just like a hard click
Old 03-25-16, 05:28 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by kdu
I saw one of these threads in a different forum and I figured since we barely have any new discussions here on CL I will give it a shot. I make no excuses if this same exact topic has already been covered...

List the good, the bad and the ugly or just the stuff you discovered about your car, car buying process, etc.

Here are a few of mine:

1. The weight of the car doesn't bother me at all. In aggressive daily driving this thing handles like a champ.
  2. The audio sounded awful until I turned off surround sound and tweaked all the setting for each source independently.
  3. Nobody knows how performance oriented this car is, just that it looks cool. Someone asked if it had a 4 cylinder or a 6. I told them it was a plug in electric.
  4. I gave up cleaning the wheels because they get dirty from brake dust after a five minute drive
What's a track pad?
Old 03-25-16, 05:36 AM
kdu
Rookie

Originally Posted by ssmoked
What's a track pad?
The Lexus Remote Touch Interface touchpad which I guess is the right name for it according to google.
Old 03-25-16, 06:46 AM
RAMAIR47
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

For no brake dust or squeal try the Carbotech 1521 pads. I have had mine on for 7000 miles and could not be happier. SpeedFreaks cost about $570.
Old 03-25-16, 08:18 AM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by kdu

Here are a few of mine:

Please share your audio settings
Old 03-25-16, 02:00 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by kdu

Here are a few of mine:

I have to agree with your whole list.

Especially #2 and #3

in reference to #3:

I have been told that it is not a Lexus (even though there are 500 Lexus badges all over the car)

I have had stunned Mustang and Camaro drivers ask WTH it is after I romped on them, both guessing it was a v6 car.

I had a guy in a GT-R complement me on it saying it was "sick" looking.

a lot of the kids in my daughters school ask her about it when I drop her off, even after 6 months of owning it, definitely stands out in the sea of accords, mini-vans, and SUVs in the drop off lane every morning.
Old 03-25-16, 06:21 PM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by kdu
  1. The audio sounded awful until I turned off surround sound and tweaked all the setting for each source independently.
Wait a minute...I did not know you could mess with surround on/off.

Any instructions/posts?
Old 03-25-16, 07:30 PM
kdu
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ne1tHeRe
Wait a minute...I did not know you could mess with surround on/off.

Any instructions/posts?
I'll take a pic and post my settings in tomorrow. Basically you should be able to configure settings for each source independently by going to sound settings after selecting the source. You can turn off surround and ASL under the DSP menu. I recommend turning off both. I think it's silly to have surround sound enabled in a car since all the media is usually 2 channels. The surround sound processing makes the system sound like garbage IMO.

Most of the time the best way to tune a specific system and source (media, XM, etc.) is actually to do it at really high volume using a song or a genre of music that you plan on listening to a lot. Here is a brief tutorial. I used to use the same technique in my car audio days, but I'm sure there are other ways to do it.

1. Reset everything to the middle.
2. Turn up the volume very loud. In most cases as loud as you can stand without feeling like your car speakers are about to blow. It's a lot easier to hear distortion and thus tune your system.
3. Adjust treble all the way down and start to increase it a bit at a time until it's all the way up. Then go back down and at that point you should start to find a place where the sound seems most pleasing to you. Go up and down a few times until you find just the right setting.
4. Remember the treble setting and take it back to the middle. Repeat for MID and Bass in that order.
5. Once you have the settings dialed in for each of the three frequencies set them all to the settings you found most pleasing when tuning each one individually.
6. Lower the volume to your every day listening level and listen to a few songs to make sure things sound good.
7. Usually minor adjustments are needed to the Treble once the Mids are dialed in and vice versa. It should be one or two clicks up or down at most.
8. Enjoy

This is not the best factory system I've every heard but it's pretty decent once you got it dialed in. I found that my setting for XM and my iPod had to be very different. Sort of unusual, but in this case I feel I now have a decent sounds coming out to the speakers even at high volumes. Plus on XM I can now listen to talk radio at low volumes without it sounds like crap.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-25-16, 08:52 PM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by kdu
I'll take a pic and post my settings in tomorrow. Basically you should be able to configure settings for each source independently by going to sound settings after selecting the source. You can turn off surround and ASL under the DSP menu. I recommend turning off both. I think it's silly to have surround sound enabled in a car since all the media is usually 2 channels. The surround sound processing makes the system sound like garbage IMO.

Most of the time the best way to tune a specific system and source (media, XM, etc.) is actually to do it at really high volume using a song or a genre of music that you plan on listening to a lot. Here is a brief tutorial. I used to use the same technique in my car audio days, but I'm sure there are other ways to do it.

2. Turn up the volume very loud. In most cases as loud as you can stand without feeling like your car speakers are about to blow. It's a lot easier to hear distortion and thus tune your system.
3. Adjust treble all the way down and start to increase it a bit at a time until it's all the way up. Then go back down and at that point you should start to find a place where the sound seems most pleasing to you. Go up and down a few times until you find just the right setting.
4. Remember the treble setting and take it back to the middle. Repeat for MID and Bass in that order.
5. Once you have the settings dialed in for each of the three frequencies set them all to the settings you found most pleasing when tuning each one individually.
6. Lower the volume to your every day listening level and listen to a few songs to make sure things sound good.
7. Usually minor adjustments are needed to the Treble once the Mids are dialed in and vice versa. It should be one or two clicks up or down at most.
8. Enjoy

This is not the best factory system I've every heard but it's pretty decent once you got it dialed in. I found that my setting for XM and my iPod had to be very different. Sort of unusual, but in this case I feel I now have a decent sounds coming out to the speakers even at high volumes. Plus on XM I can now listen to talk radio at low volumes without it sounds like crap.

Hope this helps!
Nice! Also if you have your own source, make sure it's 320 kbps or higher, otherwise it will distort and sound like crap at high volume!

Fastest way to downshift from high gear manual mode, shift to D, WOT, and shift back to manual and downshift a gear, sometimes it will let you downshift, and sometimes it won't!
Old 03-25-16, 09:13 PM
equalme
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
I have to agree with your whole list.

Especially #2 and #3

in reference to #3:

I have been told that it is not a Lexus (even though there are 500 Lexus badges all over the car)

I have had stunned Mustang and Camaro drivers ask WTH it is after I romped on them, both guessing it was a v6 car.

I had a guy in a GT-R complement me on it saying it was "sick" looking.

a lot of the kids in my daughters school ask her about it when I drop her off, even after 6 months of owning it, definitely stands out in the sea of accords, mini-vans, and SUVs in the drop off lane every morning.
GT-R owners say that it looks like the hulks fist since the front-end protrudes a little.

Some teen at the chikfila drivethru asked "Is it an automatic?"

Last edited by equalme; 03-25-16 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-26-16, 07:36 AM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kdu

8. Enjoy

Hope this helps!
Do you have the ML system? Also what is the best stock car audio you have found in a car as I have not really tested out many before.
Old 03-30-16, 07:44 AM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Why springs vs coils? You spared no expense on other parts yet this seems like a shortcut. After my coil install the car transformed. I wouldn't recommend any other way. Very happy at 6k plus miles on my Penske setup with RR Racing USRS ( bushing upgrade )
Old 04-03-16, 03:23 PM
batdude
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what have i learned in 6000 miles?

easy.

I liked my IS-F better.
Old 04-03-16, 11:33 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by batdude

easy.

I liked my IS-F better.
Would you care to explain why? I'm about to make this transition.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 04-04-16, 11:15 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by batdude

easy.

I liked my IS-F better.
Its strange...I've heard from people that they love the RC-F over their old IS-F...best car ever.

Then I hear from folks who just wanted a newer IS-F and say it feels the same, just more updated.

Then I hear from people who say they miss their IS-F as it felt lighter and more "raw"....

Quick Reply: Getting to know your RC F - what have you learned?