RC F Weight Reduction

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-16, 02:45 PM
Raykwon02
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RC F Weight Reduction

Hello All,

Please post any SPRUNG weight reduction tips you think will be useful. Obviously, reducing unsprung weight is a good approach, but then we start getting into parts that are quite expensive. Anyway, I believe the vehicle weight of 3,958lbs is with all fluids topped off, please correct me if I'm wrong. The goal is to drop 200lbs, quick.

I've ran my F at the track a few times, but never wanted to remove or reduce any weight from the vehicle until I felt it could run as quick as possible at "full weight". Now I'm exploring weight reduction and below is what I will be doing prior to my next track visit. My goal is to reduce weight as easily as possible. I don't want to spend more than 30 minutes on the process.

**Remove any items not bolted down from the trunk and interior, listed below:
Jack and Tools
Flat Repair Kit
Carpeted Trunk Mat
First Aid Kit
Cargo Net
Vehicle Manual
Front and Rear Mats
Engine Cover
**I weighed these items and they total about 40lbs.

Run the car with less than 1/4 tank of gas. I'm estimating this should save about 75-85lbs.

Empty out the windshield fluid reservoir, which holds over a gallon, should save 10lbs.

Remove the back seats. Now this is something I have not yet attempted, but will be doing so this week. Not sure how much the seats will weigh, but I'm guessing about 30-40lbs. If removing the seats alone takes me longer than 20 minutes I will probably not be repeating the process for each track visit.

These steps would easily shave about 150-175lbs. Please chime in with any other tips.
Old 03-21-16, 03:21 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What's the point unless you're trying to win $ racing your RCF - it's a GT car leaning a bit more toward luxury than sport.

Go big or leave it alone.
Old 03-21-16, 04:04 PM
Raykwon02
Driver

Originally Posted by ROK
What's the point unless you're trying to win $ racing your RCF - it's a GT car leaning a bit more toward luxury than sport.

Go big or leave it alone.
Thanks, I'll make sure to keep your 'go big' suggestion in mind.
Old 03-21-16, 04:23 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I see you live in FL, which track are you going to? I'm planning on going back to PBIR on April 16th, I went on March 12th and was the only RCF there lol.
Old 03-21-16, 04:37 PM
Raykwon02
Driver

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
I see you live in FL, which track are you going to? I'm planning on going back to PBIR on April 16th, I went on March 12th and was the only RCF there lol.
Hey bud, I live in Miami so PBIR is my 'go-to' since it is the only track within a reasonable distance. I was planning on heading up there on the 16th as well. Hopefully the weather is good and we'll see each other up there.
Old 03-21-16, 04:43 PM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Titan cat-back exhaust will net you anywhere between ~30-40lbs depending on manufacturer...plus, it can give you a good bump in power as well

Aftermarket aluminum/light-weight suspension components can add up fairly quickly for weight reduction, too.

Swap out standard oem bolts/nuts for titan ones.

What you are stating/planning just sounds like too much work to keep doing before/after a race.

Like ROK is stating, our cars are agile elephants (aka Dumbo) so unless you are heavily modifying/putting lots of money into mods, it won't be as fast as the other guys out there on the track. Good luck!

Last edited by Ne1tHeRe; 03-21-16 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-21-16, 04:47 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

check APEX wheels they make a 18" wheel that clears 6 pisons (on the Mustang GT at least) and weighs about 21#

Best way youre going to lose weight on this is lighter wheels, tires, exhaust, brake rotors.
Old 03-21-16, 05:01 PM
FR500GT
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
check APEX wheels they make a 18" wheel that clears 6 pisons (on the Mustang GT at least) and weighs about 21#

Best way youre going to lose weight on this is lighter wheels, tires, exhaust, brake rotors.
My brother works for Apex. I'm trying to get him to make some wheels for our Lexus specs (mustang has same bolt pattern but offsets are off)
Old 03-21-16, 05:04 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

if you are racing, take out all the seats, that's probably good for a couple hundred pounds the front seats are seriously heavy, get an aluminum racing seat and frame.

I know the front seats in my Camaro and my 300c were nearly 100 pounds each with the frames/motors/airbags/etc.
Old 03-21-16, 05:15 PM
Raykwon02
Driver

Originally Posted by Ne1tHeRe
Titan cat-back exhaust will net you anywhere between ~30-40lbs depending on manufacturer...plus, it can give you a good bump in power as well

Aftermarket aluminum/light-weight suspension components can add up fairly quickly for weight reduction, too.

Swap out standard oem bolts/nuts for titan ones.

What you are stating/planning just sounds like too much work to keep doing before/after a race.

Like ROK is stating, our cars are agile elephants (aka Dumbo) so unless you are heavily modifying/putting lots of money into mods, it won't be as fast as the other guys out there on the track. Good luck!
I forgot to mention my car has the A'PEXi non-resonated exhaust installed which saves 25lbs over stock. Removing everything except the rear seats takes less than a few minutes. The rest doesn't take me any time at all since all I have to do is make sure I arrive at the track with the right amount of fuel. My point is not to be faster than anyone else at the track, just want to see what kind of difference a couple hundred pounds would really make. I am on the hunt for lightweight wheels, but I want to be progressive in my approach. The right tires will also improve times. Another quick drop in weight would be replacing the oem seats with a lightweight option, but I LOVE the seats too much right now. I still might consider replacing those in the future if they dont wear well. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 03-21-16, 05:50 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Raykwon02
I forgot to mention my car has the A'PEXi non-resonated exhaust installed which saves 25lbs over stock. Removing everything except the rear seats takes less than a few minutes. The rest doesn't take me any time at all since all I have to do is make sure I arrive at the track with the right amount of fuel. My point is not to be faster than anyone else at the track, just want to see what kind of difference a couple hundred pounds would really make. I am on the hunt for lightweight wheels, but I want to be progressive in my approach. The right tires will also improve times. Another quick drop in weight would be replacing the oem seats with a lightweight option, but I LOVE the seats too much right now. I still might consider replacing those in the future if they dont wear well. Thanks for your suggestions.
I watched my local tint shop remove my rear seats to tint my back window...it took them less than five minutes and appeared to be pretty easy.
Old 03-21-16, 05:54 PM
Raykwon02
Driver

Originally Posted by BOBFSPORT
I watched my local tint shop remove my rear seats to tint my back window...it took them less than five minutes and appeared to be pretty easy.
This is good to hear, any idea how much they weigh?
Old 03-21-16, 06:06 PM
BOBFSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Raykwon02
This is good to hear, any idea how much they weigh?
No idea but i am assuming a lot ?
Old 03-21-16, 06:49 PM
rmsimmonsj
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
THIS! I went with lighter wheels and light weight forged rotors.Each front seat weighs 70lbs. Rear seats dont weigh much so not really worth removing just to make it look all ugly back there. Up to you. Empty the windshield fluid, light weight battery, take out all the stuff out of the trunk (Mats, etc), mufler delete saves weight, aftermarket exhaust. Again like alot of the people say here, its not worth tearing up a nice car like this to go .1 seconds faster. Me and Tucker (RCF500) and spent 15-20k into the car to make it faster, look nicer, and reduce unsprung weight. I mean if you are doing this just for the track to get a faster number then take out everything before you go )passenger seat, rear seats, etc and then go to strip. Also taking a big poop and driving without shoes/clothes on helps cut a couple pounds too

Last edited by rmsimmonsj; 03-21-16 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-21-16, 07:39 PM
Raykwon02
Driver

Originally Posted by rmsimmonsj

Thanks for the input. Are those seats in the Time Attack RC F?

Quick Reply: RC F Weight Reduction