RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

will the Lexus brand clear bra hold up to a cross country drive?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-16, 02:33 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts
Default will the Lexus brand clear bra hold up to a cross country drive?

My RCF came with the Lexus full clear bra preinstalled:

full fascia
full hood
full front fenders
mirrors.

I am preparing to drive from CA to TN (and back) in the next few weeks, having taken this trip in the past and had the fascia on my car completely sand blasted and requiring a repaint upon return, I have taken to typically covering the front of the vehicle either with a leather/vinyl bra or blue painters tape.

I have never had a vehicle with a clear bra, and while I think it works great for commuting, I am curious if it can withstand the drive.

The most problematic places are AZ,NM and OK due to the long desert roads.

I don't really want to replace the clear bra upon return if it gets sand blasted.

anyone know if it will withstand a cross country drive?
Old 03-21-16, 03:29 PM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

It will withstand the drive but it will get chewed up a fair bit.

Other areas to worry about:
  • Front windshield
  • Front A-Pillars
  • Roof
  • Rear wheel fenders
  • Side skirts
  • Doors
  • Headlights (if those are not already covered)

Pretty much most of the rest of the car...haha. The car is low so it becomes an easy target.

Note: the clear bra is definitely good to have but not impervious to large debris/objects.
Old 03-22-16, 10:02 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you're implying that the clear bar is manufactured or sold by Lexus/Toyota, no such thing exists. Your dealer farmed out the work to a local installer and the installer likely using 3M's Ventureshield or some XYZ brand to get the job done.

The clear bra's sole job is to protect your paint. It will wear over time and get nicks and scuffs as it was never designed to be forever. I do it on all my cars to retain the factory paint, but I've never held onto my cars long enough to experience yellowing or anything disgusting to make me want to reapply. It's only $1000 or so for the full front kit done right so why worry?

I would be more concerned with the windshield. Clearplex is "clear bra" for your windshield which I also apply to all of my cars. I want to retain the factory seal and not spend money on a new OEM windshield if I can help it.

Enjoy the trip.
Old 03-22-16, 10:38 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ROK
If you're implying that the clear bar is manufactured or sold by Lexus/Toyota, no such thing exists. Your dealer farmed out the work to a local installer and the installer likely using 3M's Ventureshield or some XYZ brand to get the job done.

The clear bra's sole job is to protect your paint. It will wear over time and get nicks and scuffs as it was never designed to be forever. I do it on all my cars to retain the factory paint, but I've never held onto my cars long enough to experience yellowing or anything disgusting to make me want to reapply. It's only $1000 or so for the full front kit done right so why worry?

I would be more concerned with the windshield. Clearplex is "clear bra" for your windshield which I also apply to all of my cars. I want to retain the factory seal and not spend money on a new OEM windshield if I can help it.

Enjoy the trip.

well the film is part of the window sticker, not a separate thing from the dealer, listed as Genuine Lexus Paint Protection Film.

I realize it is some third party brand, rebranded or sold by Lexus, I am pretty sure it was preinstalled at the factory not at the dealer based on the window sticker and paper work I have on the car. And it wasn't $1,000 it was $3,000.

I didn't order it, the car was built with it, originally sold to someone else and titled and 3 weeks after that returned to the dealer because the original buyer could not get financed.

I bought the car with 783 miles on it for $63,000 as a previously titled but unsold, new car, the MSRP was $78,899 I have all the original paper work on it. In CA there are some special laws regarding a situation like this, because it titled it has to be sold as previously owned, but because it was owned less than 30 days and under 1,000 miles all the new car warranties and such have to transfer to the second owner in full with the in service date being the date I bought it, not the date the original owner bought it.

I also realize it is not designed to last forever, my concern is whether I should still use some painters tape to protect the front of the car for the trip, I've done this trip before and that is typically how I protect the car.

As for the windshield, I am not concerned about it, I purchased a windshield warranty with the car, zero deductible must be replaced with OEM glass.

I've used this glass warranty company in the past on my Avalanche and my Camaro, they are very good about honoring their warranty on sand blasted windshields. I did a number on my Avalanche windshield off-road and they never questioned it just replaced it.. well worth the $800 for the warranty considering the windshield was $1500.
Old 03-22-16, 11:54 AM
skipetenj
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

A few things about the "Genuine Lexus Paint Protection Film". If you order it or is on the original build sticker then it is installed at the processing port of entry. Many Lexus accessories are installed at the port. The advantage of the GL PPF is it is covered under the car warranty.
Old 03-22-16, 01:15 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by skipetenj
A few things about the "Genuine Lexus Paint Protection Film". If you order it or is on the original build sticker then it is installed at the processing port of entry. Many Lexus accessories are installed at the port. The advantage of the GL PPF is it is covered under the car warranty.

cool, I wonder if it gets damaged on the drive if it would be replaced under warranty, or if a cross country drive is considered to be "non-normal" use.

I guess I will need to call and ask.
Old 03-22-16, 06:22 PM
equalme
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
cool, I wonder if it gets damaged on the drive if it would be replaced under warranty, or if a cross country drive is considered to be "non-normal" use.

I guess I will need to call and ask.
Lol doubt it. It's a wear and tear item.