RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

stock brakes lifespan

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-16, 11:03 AM
mirza
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default stock brakes lifespan

Has anybody replaced the brakes that came on the car. I am curious how long they last and how many kidneys I have to sell.
Old 03-14-16, 11:13 AM
ecruz0884
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mirza
Has anybody replaced the brakes that came on the car. I am curious how long they last and how many kidneys I have to sell.

I too an curious to know what the average life span is on the brakes and also the stock tires.

Please chime in!
Old 03-14-16, 11:33 AM
brandonrcf
Rookie

Originally Posted by ecruz0884
I too an curious to know what the average life span is on the brakes and also the stock tires.

Please chime in!
Yes, me too. I have read similar types of cars (BMW M4) getting 15K on the tires and 30K on the brake pads with easy driving (no tracking). Not sure what the RC F will get.
Old 03-14-16, 12:51 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ecruz0884

Please chime in!
There's no way that you can compare these numbers unless everybody has the same exact driving patterns. Everybody is Different, if anything you could call your local dealership & they could give you Ballpark numbers for the RCF
Old 03-14-16, 01:57 PM
BossHu
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me, the way I drive, gets me roughly to 30K miles on tires with a treadwear number of 300 (+/-10% pending on the brand). so the general rule I've used is looking at the treadwear number.

Front tires will wear quicker than rear tires.

Past experience also tells me Michelin and Falken are usually on the higher end side of mileage count when it comes to tire life-span (hence the guaranteed mileage warranty given on the tires)

As for brakes... its too hard to tell, given your driving style as well as the type of car you have.

My records indicated my brakes were down to 90% left at the 5k maintenance mark (79% at the 10k maintenance mark)... given that trend, its suppose to last 50k miles... but I highly doubt it'll reach that far.
Old 03-14-16, 04:06 PM
alfaromeo3
Pole Position

My dealer told me ~40K miles.

U can only sell one kidney.

Last edited by alfaromeo3; 03-14-16 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-14-16, 06:12 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by alfaromeo3
My dealer told me ~40K miles.

U can only sell one kidney.
I'm planning to max out the usage of stock brakes then have the dealer replace it free with the lesser dusty ones. But man does the rims get dirty fast
Old 03-14-16, 07:04 PM
brandonrcf
Rookie

Originally Posted by ssmoked
I'm planning to max out the usage of stock brakes then have the dealer replace it free with the lesser dusty ones. But man does the rims get dirty fast
That was my plan, too.
Old 03-14-16, 08:38 PM
tarponman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the brake tsb is good only up to 12k miles. I'd check on that.
Old 03-15-16, 05:16 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Judge Judy would say, "You can't get your money back if you ate the entire steak".
Old 03-15-16, 09:39 AM
alfaromeo3
Pole Position

I was planning on changing my pads later but the old pads were so annoying. Squeals like hell and after a wash it would only take several miles and it will be so dusty.

I just recently changed mines and my car only has 2k miles. So far driving it for a week and no squeal and less dust. Ones this ones are almost done, I will change to carbotechs.
Old 03-15-16, 01:57 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Brembo high performance brakes with the OEM pads will not last more than 12k - 15k miles.

I've owned several cars with the Brembo OEM brake kits, and they have all been this way.. I can get 40K miles out my other cars, so it is not my driving habits. high performance brake pads do not last that long, I squeaked 18,000 miles out of the OEM Brembo pads on my Camaro but the pads were at 3mm. NOT RECOMMENDED to allow them to get that low.

The TSB for the pads is only good as long as the pads have 5mm or more on them, there is no 12K limit, The LSB applies for the full 48 months or 50,000 miles of the factory warranty.

you can read the full LSB here:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...LNLkD4KFRIUEgw
Old 03-15-16, 02:10 PM
brandonrcf
Rookie

Originally Posted by mjeds
Brembo high performance brakes with the OEM pads will not last more than 12k - 15k miles.

I've owned several cars with the Brembo OEM brake kits, and they have all been this way.. I can get 40K miles out my other cars, so it is not my driving habits. high performance brake pads do not last that long, I squeaked 18,000 miles out of the OEM Brembo pads on my Camaro but the pads were at 3mm. NOT RECOMMENDED to allow them to get that low.

The TSB for the pads is only good as long as the pads have 5mm or more on them, there is no 12K limit, The LSB applies for the full 48 months or 50,000 miles of the factory warranty.

you can read the full LSB here:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...LNLkD4KFRIUEgw
What about the replacement pads?
Old 03-15-16, 02:34 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by brandonrcf
What about the replacement pads?

you mean the life of them?

couldn't tell you, don't know what material they are made from.

but in my experience with owning 3 vehicles with Brembo high performance OEM calipers regardless of the brand of performance pads I have run (OEM, Hawk, Stoptech) track/performance pads don't last more than about 15K, such is the way with full metallic pads.

Street pads (semi-metallic) do a little better I got 25K out of the Hawk pads I put on my 300c SRT.
Old 03-15-16, 05:46 PM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 90 Posts

A lot of this is relative to where you live. We have a female member on here that went through a set in 12k miles...I believe she lives in San Fran...which would easily explain it. I'm getting mine serviced tomorrow with 18,700 miles and my brakes are fine so far...I live in Florida...flat as a pancake.

Quick Reply: stock brakes lifespan