RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Some questions about my new RC F

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-16, 09:16 PM
brandonrcf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by equalme
I haven't tried it with the car unlocked so I cannot answer that. I really don't bother with the remote start on this car at all just because I don't want to shut/start so often when it isn't even fully warmed up yet.

Now on my FJ Cruiser with an aftermarket alarm/remote start, I use it all the time. Remote start while walking towards it, unlock the door with remote, insert the key and turn to on position, and drive off. Now if I didn't insert the key, and I pressed the brakes to attempt to shift into drive or reverse, it would automatically shutoff so nobody steals it.
That's how I would expect it, but not Lexus!

So... on the topic of the scratch, what would you personally do:

- have the dealer repaint that part of the car to fix it, or
- have it buffed out to look better, but it won't go away

Here's a picture:

Old 03-13-16, 09:36 PM
TNLS600hL
Rookie

I'd say buff it out and leave it alone since it's barely noticeable. I understand it's pain in the butt knowing there's a scratch there but repainting can turn into a nightmare if the color don't match correctly. My car has a scratch because of the shipping in the front under the bumper and it pissed the hell out of me too but I don't want to take chances and mess with it since it's USB four stage paint.
Old 03-13-16, 10:16 PM
waxy
Pole Position

The car doesn't lock when it's on.

I tried it several times, it refuses to lock and would just beep.
If you find out a way do let me know, because I want to do the same thing, leaving it run to warm up, Locked.
Old 03-14-16, 06:54 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Are you talking about AFTER you REMOTE start it?

OR just wanting to have it running while you run into a store during a hot/cold day and keep the AC/heater going? If this is the case, then this is what I do often (usually at a place I know well, like behind some secured area behind a gate or I'll park right within visual distance to the security guard or similar):

Here are the steps:

I drive into the destination and the car is running. I take the key FOB with me and open the driver side door and exit the car. The car now beeps to let me know now the key FOB is out of range. While outside the car with the driver side door open, I roll down the window by pressing the driver side window down button. Then I close the driver side door. Now I double check to make sure I still got the key FOB ON ME. I reach onto the car and depress the LOCK DOOR button with the driver side window down. Then I get ready for the next step which you must be very quick and make sure you don't have anything that might get caught in the driver side windown, i.e., long hair or long necklace or any dangling items. I PULL on the driver side window button to make the driver side window to go up. Literally at the same time I get my hand/arm out of the car from the driver side windown area as the window is coming up. Now the car is LOCKED at all doors and engine running (AC/heater running too). The car will detect the KEY FOB is out of range by flashing an exclamation mark at the dash. I now can walk away and come back in a few minutes.

Upon return, I take the key BLADE out of the KEY FOB and pull the driver side door handle gently and there is a key hole hidden behind the door handle. So with one hand on the door handle gently in the pulled out position and the other hand with the key blade and insert carefully into the key hole and turn. Wow! The door is now unlocked by the key blade!!! I carefully pull the key blade out and release the door handle so all goes back to normal! !! Then I pull on the door handle as I normally would and now the door opens and the car continues to run. I then quickly get into the car and lock the doors by hitting the lock button to secure the car. Then I replace the key blade back into the KEY FOB. Make sure to remember this very important last step. Now all back to where I started and the car is still cool/warm with the AC/heater running. I'm ready to go and drive off.

Again, I would not do this in an UNFAMILIAR area due to possible thief because one can still drive off with the car if one somehow manages to get into the car (for example pressure punctures the window).

Also a friend of mine adds another step by locking the steering wheel with one of those steering wheel locks (i.e., The CLUB). I guess to further deter someone from trying to drive away with the engine on. In most case, the thieve will just move on to the next car.

Originally Posted by waxy
The car doesn't lock when it's on.

I tried it several times, it refuses to lock and would just beep.
If you find out a way do let me know, because I want to do the same thing, leaving it run to warm up, Locked.
Old 03-14-16, 08:14 AM
waxy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Are you talking about AFTER you REMOTE start it?

OR just wanting to have it running while you run into a store during a hot/cold day and keep the AC/heater going? If this is the case, then this is what I do often (usually at a place I know well, like behind some secured area behind a gate or I'll park right within visual distance to the security guard or similar):

Here are the steps:

I drive into the destination and the car is running. I take the key FOB with me and open the driver side door and exit the car. The car now beeps to let me know now the key FOB is out of range. While outside the car with the driver side door open, I roll down the window by pressing the driver side window down button. Then I close the driver side door. Now I double check to make sure I still got the key FOB ON ME. I reach onto the car and depress the LOCK DOOR button with the driver side window down. Then I get ready for the next step which you must be very quick and make sure you don't have anything that might get caught in the driver side windown, i.e., long hair or long necklace or any dangling items. I PULL on the driver side window button to make the driver side window to go up. Literally at the same time I get my hand/arm out of the car from the driver side windown area as the window is coming up. Now the car is LOCKED at all doors and engine running (AC/heater running too). The car will detect the KEY FOB is out of range by flashing an exclamation mark at the dash. I now can walk away and come back in a few minutes.

Upon return, I take the key BLADE out of the KEY FOB and pull the driver side door handle gently and there is a key hole hidden behind the door handle. So with one hand on the door handle gently in the pulled out position and the other hand with the key blade and insert carefully into the key hole and turn. Wow! The door is now unlocked by the key blade!!! I carefully pull the key blade out and release the door handle so all goes back to normal! !! Then I pull on the door handle as I normally would and now the door opens and the car continues to run. I then quickly get into the car and lock the doors by hitting the lock button to secure the car. Then I replace the key blade back into the KEY FOB. Make sure to remember this very important last step. Now all back to where I started and the car is still cool/warm with the AC/heater running. I'm ready to go and drive off.

Again, I would not do this in an UNFAMILIAR area due to possible thief because one can still drive off with the car if one somehow manages to get into the car (for example pressure punctures the window).

Also a friend of mine adds another step by locking the steering wheel with one of those steering wheel locks (i.e., The CLUB). I guess to further deter someone from trying to drive away with the engine on. In most case, the thieve will just move on to the next car.
Wow this is very complicating and a bit too much work to deal with.
But thanks for the info, now I know the workaround.
Old 03-14-16, 08:29 AM
CoolCanuck
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by brandonrcf
That's exactly what I was looking into. Quoted $1500 for full hood, front bumper, fenders, mirrors.
I just got it done last week for $700 (Canadian) which included all of the parts listed above as well as the top of the rear bumper where you load stuff into the trunk. I play hockey and scuffed up my ISF many times so I wanted to prevent that from happening to the RCF. I can barely tell it is there!
Old 03-15-16, 11:22 AM
ddean3673
Driver School Candidate

For the scratch, try a little acetone or goof off...if it takes it off, wax it right after.
Old 03-15-16, 11:51 AM
alfaromeo3
Pole Position

^^^ I would not try this method with acetone

That can easily be buffed off.

Last edited by alfaromeo3; 03-15-16 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-17-16, 05:50 AM
chaosrob
Rookie

Is it really that hard to push a button once when you get in the car guys? While it may be silly to some it isn't like you have to go back out and crank start the thing, it is a simple operation to fire it back up . Don't let the little things eat at you at life will be much more pleasant. Let's move on to our coffee pots shutting off after an hour and the coffee going cold now THAT is an issue lol
Old 03-17-16, 06:22 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by brandonrcf
That's how I would expect it, but not Lexus!

So... on the topic of the scratch, what would you personally do:

- have the dealer repaint that part of the car to fix it, or
- have it buffed out to look better, but it won't go away

Here's a picture:

I know a great place for paint correction and paint protection in VA....shoot me a PM. They can see if they can get it out...if not, go with DrColorchip and then paint protection film and ceramic coating on car. It is worth its weight in gold
Old 03-17-16, 06:28 AM
equalme
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chaosrob
Is it really that hard to push a button once when you get in the car guys? While it may be silly to some it isn't like you have to go back out and crank start the thing, it is a simple operation to fire it back up . Don't let the little things eat at you at life will be much more pleasant. Let's move on to our coffee pots shutting off after an hour and the coffee going cold now THAT is an issue lol
It's not the issue with having to "push a button." It is an issue with unnecessary wear and tear from starting/shutting.

The only reason I ever use remote start is just to give the car the extra couple of seconds to get the engine lubricated before I drive off.
Old 03-17-16, 06:30 AM
chaosrob
Rookie

Can you please show me the studies on modern vehicles where starting/shutting it down an extra 2-3 times a day creates significant extra wear on the mechanical parts?
It's not the issue with having to "push a button." It is an issue with unnecessary wear and tear from starting/shutting.

The only reason I ever use remote start is just to give the car the extra couple of seconds to get the engine lubricated before I drive off.
Old 03-17-16, 06:42 AM
equalme
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chaosrob
Can you please show me the studies on modern vehicles where starting/shutting it down an extra 2-3 times a day creates significant extra wear on the mechanical parts?
Feel free to google it yourself. Common sense that any running parts would wear more from something like that. Now whether it is that significant or not I don't know. I'm no mechanic by trade, but I do know that the oil sits at the bottom when the engine is cold, and there is going to be some sort of friction in the rotating parts for that split second.

Kinda same concept as going easy on the car until it is fully warmed up.
Old 03-17-16, 06:49 AM
ddean3673
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by alfaromeo3
^^^ I would not try this method with acetone

That can easily be buffed off.

I did paint repair for over 10 years, my go to was actually always Lacquer thinner but I figured "most people" would worry about it being to harsh which is why I suggested acetone which is a little easier. The paint is polyeurethane and doesn't react to acetone or even lacquer thinner once the catalyst has done its job.
Old 03-17-16, 12:01 PM
chaosrob
Rookie

The car would most likely be warm at this point so it would not be like another cold start. Someone would have a hard time convincing me that this would be a major wear issue rather than a simple inconvenience. You're entitled to your own opinion of course but I find this portion of the argument nonsensical
Feel free to google it yourself. Common sense that any running parts would wear more from something like that. Now whether it is that significant or not I don't know. I'm no mechanic by trade, but I do know that the oil sits at the bottom when the engine is cold, and there is going to be some sort of friction in the rotating parts for that split second.

Kinda same concept as going easy on the car until it is fully warmed up.

Quick Reply: Some questions about my new RC F