RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Some questions about my new RC F

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-16, 04:26 PM
brandonrcf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some questions about my new RC F

When I do remote start from my key or my app, the car turns off when I go out to get in it. Meaning, I unlock the door and it turns off, so I have to start it again. Is this normal?

My brakes seem to squeal when used lightly. It doesn't happen all of the time.

There is a 3-4" scratch near the F emblem on the side... they are going to fix that. Not really freaking out about it, which is surprising.

What do you guys think about a clear bra? I am concerned about the rock chips since I do a lot of highway driving.

Oh, by the way, I am loving this 28-29 MPG on the highway in a V8 (eco mode).
Old 03-13-16, 06:00 PM
equalme
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brandonrcf
When I do remote start from my key or my app, the car turns off when I go out to get in it. Meaning, I unlock the door and it turns off, so I have to start it again. Is this normal?

My brakes seem to squeal when used lightly. It doesn't happen all of the time.

There is a 3-4" scratch near the F emblem on the side... they are going to fix that. Not really freaking out about it, which is surprising.

What do you guys think about a clear bra? I am concerned about the rock chips since I do a lot of highway driving.

Oh, by the way, I am loving this 28-29 MPG on the highway in a V8 (eco mode).
Remote start is normal that way for Lexus/Toyota. Stupid design and no way around it that I'm aware of.

Squeal is normal too for performance pad. There is a TSB which Lexus will replace the pads that will fix the squeal and dust issue at the cost of some brake power.

Clear bra is a must have.

I've only used Eco mode once when I was limping to the next gas station. Lol
Old 03-13-16, 06:06 PM
brandonrcf
Rookie

Originally Posted by equalme
Remote start is normal that way for Lexus/Toyota. Stupid design and no way around it that I'm aware of.

Squeal is normal too for performance pad. There is a TSB which Lexus will replace the pads that will fix the squeal and dust issue at the cost of some brake power.

There's not much of a difference between normal and eco mode from what I can tell. I just put it in eco on the highway, because I was cruising with cruise control on.

When I'm not on the highway or accelerating fast, eco works. Otherwise, sport + FTW.
Old 03-13-16, 07:11 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I disagree the shut off when door opens is stupid. Lexus is all about safety. What if your car was running and someone else tries to open the door to take your car. Now it will just shut off on them.

Also disagree about clear bra's. I hate them. They turn yellow. They cause wax to build at the crease line. They have to be replaced every year or two. Not for me.
Old 03-13-16, 07:27 PM
brandonrcf
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ice350
I disagree the shut off when door opens is stupid. Lexus is all about safety. What if your car was running and someone else tries to open the door to take your car. Now it will just shut off on them.

Also disagree about clear bra's. I hate them. They turn yellow. They cause wax to build at the crease line. They have to be replaced every year or two. Not for me.
I have mixed feelings about the clear bra.

a) it will protect from a lot of the rock chips that I always get... my Mazda looked pretty bad and I had it for less than a year. Now, granted, I was not as careful in the Mazda and didn't care when I was behind tractor trailers, dumptrucks, etc. Nonetheless, rock chips are unavoidable and will happen.

b) it will turn yellow and have to be replaced... expensive. But I would hope it would last a few years, given that I was quoted $1500.

What's the alternative to not having a clear bra?? Accept the dings and repaint if it bothers you that much?

On a side note, I asked a detailer and they said the scratch is too deep and is not coming out... but that they can make it look better. Not sure if I should just go to the dealer and make them fix it, even if that means painting. Thoughts?
Old 03-13-16, 07:29 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

look into xpel for clear bra, 10 year warranty against yellowing
Old 03-13-16, 07:30 PM
brandonrcf
Rookie

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
look into xpel for clear bra, 10 year warranty against yellowing
That's exactly what I was looking into. Quoted $1500 for full hood, front bumper, fenders, mirrors.
Old 03-13-16, 07:38 PM
equalme
Driver

If they're "all about safety" they should have built it where if somebody tried to engage the brake without the key inside, then it would automatically shutoff. It's a stupid design entirely since somebody can just take off with the car if you leave the car on and ran inside somewhere really quick.

****ty clear bra yellow. Xpel/Suntek will last years and don't yellow. There's a reason why almost all exotics get their car fully wrapped in PPF.
Old 03-13-16, 08:22 PM
waxy
Pole Position

If they're "all about safety" they should have built it where if somebody tried to engage the brake without the key inside, then it would automatically shutoff. It's a stupid design entirely since somebody can just take off with the car if you leave the car on and ran inside somewhere really quick.

****ty clear bra yellow. Xpel/Suntek will last years and don't yellow. There's a reason why almost all exotics get their car fully wrapped in PPF.
They're on the right track with the car shutting off as soon as the door opens.
I rather deter thieves as soon as they touch the door handle if not sooner.

Rather than having them inside my vehicle, searching around and take what ever they please.
The thought of them sitting in my vehicle just irks me.
But hey, to each their own.
Old 03-13-16, 08:29 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Or a simple unlock from the key fob before opening the door keeps the engine running, or else shuts the engine off in case someone else opens the door. All after market remote starter work that way
Old 03-13-16, 08:35 PM
equalme
Driver

Originally Posted by waxy
They're on the right track with the car shutting off as soon as the door opens.
I rather deter thieves as soon as they touch the door handle if not sooner.

Rather than having them inside my vehicle, searching around and take what ever they please.
The thought of them sitting in my vehicle just irks me.
But hey, to each their own.
What...?

When you remote start the car the doors are still locked. Once you touch the door handle or press the unlock button the car will automatically shutdown.

A thief wouldn't even be able to get into the car unless they break the window. And what thief would break a window on a running vehicle to steal the car? A running vehicle means somebody is around, and breaking a window is a cause for attention. Then again there those select few...

Just saying that it makes no difference whether a car shuts off automatically when the door is unlocked/open vs shutting off upon brake depression. It would've been nice if the car can just detect that the key is now inside. Really just unnecessary wear and tear from starting the car all the time.
Old 03-13-16, 08:40 PM
aschulz261
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe I am missing something here. If the doors are locked while remote starting, don't you need the key to open the door? After that, the key is what is needed to authorize you as a driver to the car.

Other cars I have had with remote start, you get in, push the Start/Stop button to turn the car ON (which authorizes you as a drive WITH a key, and you are good to go.

How is someone supposed to steal the car without the key even if it is remote started?
Old 03-13-16, 08:44 PM
equalme
Driver

Originally Posted by aschulz261
Maybe I am missing something here. If the doors are locked while remote starting, don't you need the key to open the door? After that, the key is what is needed to authorize you as a driver to the car.

Other cars I have had with remote start, you get in, push the Start/Stop button to turn the car ON (which authorizes you as a drive WITH a key, and you are good to go.

How is someone supposed to steal the car without the key even if it is remote started?
That's why I'm saying it's such a stupid design. Even as a person HOLDING the authorized key to unlock or open the door (the car can detect when the key is within proximity) the car will still automatically shuts off.

BUT. Say if you just pull up to the postal office and run inside with the car still running and doors unlocked, some random person can just open the door and drive off with it. Sure the car will beep at him but won't do crap otherwise.
Old 03-13-16, 08:47 PM
brandonrcf
Rookie

That's why I'm saying it's such a stupid design. Even as a person HOLDING the authorized key to unlock or open the door (the car can detect when the key is within proximity) the car will still automatically shuts off.

BUT. Say if you just pull up to the postal office and run inside with the car still running and doors unlocked, some random person can just open the door and drive off with it. Sure the car will beep at him but won't do crap otherwise.
Yes, I found this to be really strange. You can't remote start the car unless it is locked, I thought??
Old 03-13-16, 08:54 PM
equalme
Driver

Originally Posted by brandonrcf
Yes, I found this to be really strange. You can't remote start the car unless it is locked, I thought??
I haven't tried it with the car unlocked so I cannot answer that. I really don't bother with the remote start on this car at all just because I don't want to shut/start so often when it isn't even fully warmed up yet.

Now on my FJ Cruiser with an aftermarket alarm/remote start, I use it all the time. Remote start while walking towards it, unlock the door with remote, insert the key and turn to on position, and drive off. Now if I didn't insert the key, and I pressed the brakes to attempt to shift into drive or reverse, it would automatically shutoff so nobody steals it.

Quick Reply: Some questions about my new RC F