RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Muffler Delete / Custom Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-16, 04:16 PM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Muffler Delete / Custom Exhaust

I am thinking of doing a custom exhaust.

The exhaust would mirror a muffler deleted system. A full cat back with resonated mid section / deleted 2nd cat / straight pipe to dual slash cut double walled tips.

For example.

Has anyone done this? Has anyone run / dyno'd a setup of this nature?
I'd like to ensure I'm making the right move

Thanks in advance
Old 02-25-16, 12:27 PM
ecruz0884
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been thinking about doing a custom exhaust too and I've have many questions in mind but not many ppl will chime in on the topic. There is a place here in Miami called Miami Mufflers. They've done work on all my previous stangs so I figured lets see what they can come up. I might go within a couple weeks for their opinion. I'll let you know what they say. I would love something with an H-PIPE, chambered mufflers and 3 in piping, no 2nd CATS or resonators.
Old 02-25-16, 07:56 PM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Please explain your logic? I'm clueless about piping size. Also, why H vs X. Seems like X is the way to go.

I have 3 local places looking to give me quotes. Yet, I don't want drone inside.

Borla makes a system yet the piping is 2.5" I think
Old 02-26-16, 05:15 AM
tarponman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ecruz0884
I've been thinking about doing a custom exhaust too and I've have many questions in mind but not many ppl will chime in on the topic. There is a place here in Miami called Miami Mufflers. They've done work on all my previous stangs so I figured lets see what they can come up. I might go within a couple weeks for their opinion. I'll let you know what they say. I would love something with an H-PIPE, chambered mufflers and 3 in piping, no 2nd CATS or resonators.

I would also be interested to see what Miami Mufflers says. I had them do mid pipes on my is350.
Old 02-26-16, 06:33 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ecruz0884
Originally Posted by tarponman
I would also be interested to see what Miami Mufflers says. I had them do mid pipes on my is350.
Miami Mufflers did a custom system for my '01 GS430 (And it was awesome) before I decided to purchase an aftermarket one that sounded more "refined". There's also another shop called Gexhaust in broward and I've seen them post up some really nice work on IG.

As for me, I have something else on the way right now ...
Old 02-29-16, 06:07 PM
equalme
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

These are the tips I picked up:

Silverline TK7867C

Muffler Delete / Custom Exhaust-vtnu6mf.jpg
Muffler Delete / Custom Exhaust-lst5dmi.jpg
Muffler Delete / Custom Exhaust-pqs7s1y.jpg
Muffler Delete / Custom Exhaust-rqsmkiz.jpg
Muffler Delete / Custom Exhaust-u2gcvea.jpg
Muffler Delete / Custom Exhaust-azjpbvq.jpg

Muffler Delete / Custom Exhaust-gebxsrj.png

Muffler Delete / Custom Exhaust-sxmecmv.png
Old 03-01-16, 01:50 AM
ForTheF
Driver School Candidate

Is that a Kinny's street demon custom? If so, I wish I lived in Texas.. That looks badass!
Old 03-01-16, 08:09 PM
equalme
Driver

Originally Posted by ForTheF
Is that a Kinny's street demon custom? If so, I wish I lived in Texas.. That looks badass!
Those are pictures from Kinneys street demon...but they wanted $1800 to do it. I picked up the same tips and had a reputable muffler shop do pretty much the exact same for $250. I kept my resonators though.
Old 03-03-16, 12:55 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by equalme
Those are pictures from Kinneys street demon...but they wanted $1800 to do it. I picked up the same tips and had a reputable muffler shop do pretty much the exact same for $250. I kept my resonators though.
$1,800 is pretty cheap to do a custom SS catback system. Local shop near me wants $2,500
Old 03-03-16, 12:58 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

BTW that RC-F in the video sounds sick but I bet you that set up drones like a mother effer. That is something I could just not live with.
Old 03-03-16, 01:40 PM
equalme
Driver

Originally Posted by Diesel350
$1,800 is pretty cheap to do a custom SS catback system. Local shop near me wants $2,500
Originally Posted by Diesel350
BTW that RC-F in the video sounds sick but I bet you that set up drones like a mother effer. That is something I could just not live with.
Not really. Doesn't look like stainless steel to me, more likely aluminized steel which is cheap. Welds aren't pretty and most likely not TIG. And it's not really a cat back as they just deleted the resonator and back, the factory h-pipe is still there.

RCF doesn't drone much. I deleted my mufflers, kept the stock resonators, no drone on highway at all. Not raspy at all. Seems to be the loudest between 1.5-2k when accelerating or decelerating.
Old 03-03-16, 06:20 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Not really. Doesn't look like stainless steel to me, more likely aluminized steel which is cheap. Welds aren't pretty and most likely not TIG. And it's not really a cat back as they just deleted the resonator and back, the factory h-pipe is still there.

RCF doesn't drone much. I deleted my mufflers, kept the stock resonators, no drone on highway at all. Not raspy at all. Seems to be the loudest between 1.5-2k when accelerating or decelerating.
Yes, $1,800 for cheap galvanized steel and non TIG welds is expensive. Especially if not catback.
Old 03-03-16, 06:23 PM
Db750
Driver

Exactly! $1800 is an absolute ripoff! Great for Kinny Street Demon or whatever the shop is called, but as the poster above said this type of exhaust can be had at your local muffler shop for no more than $300. Who cares if its "stainless steel" or shiny before you put it on? It's a heap of pipe you throw under your car! I'm assuming if you care about your exhaust pipe shining 6 feet under your car you also had your house plumbed with golden water lines?

My plan for my "possible future RCF purchase" will most likely be a couple of valves welded into the OEM system. That way I can have the stock silence when the wife is driving, and the amazing sound that a wide open muffler delete provides when I'm ripping it up. Who knows, I might get fancy and throw some shiny tips on to dress her up.

Here is a picture of what I am talking about on another car. The valves are remote controled, so it is really up to the owner of how he wants to integrate them (you could do remote sitting in cup holder all the way to button integrated in dash for a stealth finish). This setup would cost no more than $800-$1k and will give the best of both worlds.

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 2746
Size:  130.4 KB
Old 03-03-16, 06:38 PM
equalme
Driver

I was deciding on a butterfly valve like that, but in the end I wanted larger tips and to get rid of the muffler weight. The RCF is my pleasure car so no real restrictions per se.
Old 03-04-16, 04:38 AM
chaosrob
Rookie

valves are great until they get full of soot and wont close all the way and rattle your teeth.

I was going to do the muffler delete and just decided to order joes exhaust, I hope I like it

Quick Reply: Muffler Delete / Custom Exhaust