RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RCF Resale Value

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-16, 08:21 AM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RCF Resale Value

I have a 2015 RCF which has essentially lost 1/3 of its trade-in value in less than a year of ownership. Yes, life isn't fair or predictable and supply/demand, etc. However, this will be a significant factor when the time comes to choose between another Lexus or another brand.
Old 02-24-16, 08:31 AM
mrpc12
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You only lose when you actually sell. If you keep enjoying the car for a few years the overall hit will be more reasonable.
Old 02-24-16, 08:50 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 7No
I have a 2015 RCF which has essentially lost 1/3 of its trade-in value in less than a year of ownership. Yes, life isn't fair or predictable and supply/demand, etc. However, this will be a significant factor when the time comes to choose between another Lexus or another brand.
most expensive cars take a 20% tradein hit the second its titled to you. 30% might seem on the higher end, but most cars do take a similar hit. If you kept the car for 5 years, you probably only lose 15-20k more.
Old 02-24-16, 08:57 AM
kdu
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 7No
Did you pay MSRP or close? Once the oversupply of 2015s normalizes I have a feeling the depreciation will as well. It's a really nice car and my guess is that it will have a very strong second hand demand 3-4 years from now. It's just a really weird time since many dealers still have 2015 models on their lots.
Old 02-24-16, 09:05 AM
waxy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kdu
Did you pay MSRP or close? Once the oversupply of 2015s normalizes I have a feeling the depreciation will as well. It's a really nice car and my guess is that it will have a very strong second hand demand 3-4 years from now. It's just a really weird time since many dealers still have 2015 models on their lots.
Give it time, once the 2015's diminish there will be a demand for them.
I've only noticed 1-2 MY 16's on the CA dealer lots.
I'm sure the RCF's will hold their value very well considering how well the ISF did.
Only way to know for sure is if Lexus plans on making a 2017 model, if they decide to stop then of course demand would soar with value.

Last edited by waxy; 02-24-16 at 09:08 AM.
Old 02-24-16, 10:36 AM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be worse, look at GTR owners who paid 120k and you can get the car new for 80k now. They will get better with time and who cares anyway if you have to worry about this then you went over what you should have $$$$.
Old 02-24-16, 10:45 AM
7No
Intermediate

Originally Posted by waxy
Give it time, once the 2015's diminish there will be a demand for them.
I've only noticed 1-2 MY 16's on the CA dealer lots.
I'm sure the RCF's will hold their value very well considering how well the ISF did.
Only way to know for sure is if Lexus plans on making a 2017 model, if they decide to stop then of course demand would soar with value.
This is what I hope will happen - that the depreciation will "normalize" the longer we wait. I don't plan to trade the car for another year or so, but certainly before 5 years.
Old 02-24-16, 10:47 AM
7No
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kdu
Yup, back in the day it was MSRP or go home.
Old 02-24-16, 10:52 AM
waxy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 7No
This is what I hope will happen - that the depreciation will "normalize" the longer we wait. I don't plan to trade the car for another year or so, but certainly before 5 years.
What if you found out they are stopping production of the RCF's after the last MY16 is shipped.
Will you consider retaining the vehicle, knowing that you were among the few that hold a gold covered diamond?
Old 02-24-16, 11:51 AM
7No
Intermediate

What if you found out they are stopping production of the RCF's after the last MY16 is shipped.
Will you consider retaining the vehicle, knowing that you were among the few that hold a gold covered diamond?
I would feel that way if the NA V-8 disappeared, but that's not happening, so that case might turn out just the opposite - a car that's discontinued that Lexus can't readily sell. I'm not saying it'll be Edsel all over again (you whippersnappers can Google that), but one of the reasons imo that the RCF hasn't sold well is that it was uniformly panned by many of the initial reviewers. As others have pointed out in this forum, Lexus had the chance to surpass, if not evenly meet, the M3/M4 and for whatever reasons, was just too conservative.
Old 02-24-16, 12:17 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

This is the same topic thats being discussed in two other threads so I would suggest merging the topcis but regardless

Heres what I know and what others know vs what is confusing

1) Other

Last week while in FL, I looked at the GS F. Nice car. $87,400 MSRP. For the heck of it I asked the sales guy to appraise my '15 RCF, ML, red interior, you know the rest, a nice setup. 6k miles. I said make it worth my while and well maybe.

Result:

I'm still in mine.

Offer:

His GSF, $87,400
My RCF, $51,000

He couldn't explain why my F was only worth $51 to them and why his F was worth full retail.

Here's another comment from him. "Lexus is limiting the production of the GSF to insure high demand since the RCF sales were not what they predicted".

Anyway, thought I'd share my experience.
2) me

Thats what I hope. But reality is somewhat different.

I checked KBB values in the past month and also edmunds.

Values have dropped. Edmunds is pegging 48-52k for a trade in to dealer with the most popular config F s (Premium Mark levinson moonroof) with 5K miles.

KBB was $54-57k now down to 50-54k for the same miles.

A good way to tell, is to access Mananheim data on recent lots. But without a dealership or a connect hard to come by (although some say Consumer reports service pulls that data as well on their used car value).

Prices be dropping either due to new transactional data for new purchases or else but they are dropping.
3) Confusesd about which value to go by

Just negotiated a deal for $10k off a fully loaded ($79k) brand-new 2015, with the dealer giving me $60k for my 2015 with 5k miles. I probably could've done a little better, but it's the exact car I've been looking for.
Old 02-24-16, 12:17 PM
kdu
Rookie

Wink

Here is my POV and total speculation. Lexus missed the mark with the RC F for two reasons. First, it did not conclusively "beat" the BMW M4 or the ATS-V. Thus it got overshadowed in almost all reviews. That was my problem when I was researching. I went to drive the RC F just to rule it out. However, it was a really good car and after I realized that tenths of a second don't really matter to me as much as the overall package I was sold.

Second, my theory is that the typical Lexus buyer does not want this car. They might want the looks and they can get the RC F Sport to check that box. So Lexus was probably going after a buyer population that usually goes German and those folks won't leave unless there is a good reason. Per the first point, most people crossed it off the list based on it's relative performance. So it's basically a great car that appeals to a smaller group of people than originally intended which is why they have a ton of 2015 models still on dealer lots.

Now, you lower the price $20k and all of a sudden it becomes a ton more attractive. More people can afford it and the performance/cost ratio is excellent. If production ends after this model year I think this car might actually appreciate. There is definitely a sweet spot for this sort of packaging, but it's not at the $70k+ price range. This is why after the extra inventory is flushed out, the prices will settle down and might remain very flat seeing marginal year-over-year depreciation. Again, just my personal opinion, only time will tell.

Or... Hyundai will release it's M4 beating coupe and the market on all of these cars will take a big dump
Old 02-24-16, 12:35 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

The Lexus marketed the Rc-F as the equivalent of the M4. But its not. Great GT car but not what the average M4 Driver is interested since they have the 6 series for that.

Prices will stabilze but the damage for the 15s are already done
Old 02-24-16, 02:56 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Worrying about the resale on a vehicle that you have only had for 1 year and may have for another 2-4 years is stupid.

All vehicles with the exception of a few high dollar exotics are depreciating assets. To consider them anything else is also stupid.

Asking a dealership to appraise your vehicle for trade is also stupid, the dealer doesn't care about the car, they care about their bottom line, they want to give you little as possible for your vehicle and sell it for as much as they can.

The dealership will low ball you $5,000 or more to what a private sale would net you.

A car is an expense, doesn't matter what brand it is. If you see it as anything else you are delusional.
Old 02-24-16, 03:00 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Very few cars that weren't all that desirable...relatively...become desirable when they are no longer available. This isn't an exotic. Nor is it some slept-on benchmark. It's just a slow selling, 'regular' car. It *might* turn into something like the 2nd gen CTS-V but it doesn't have the aftermarket support that helps keep that platform in demand.

Quick Reply: RCF Resale Value