RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Lagging acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-16, 04:34 PM
CoolCanuck
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lagging acceleration

I know that I read about this same (or at least similar) issue a couple of weeks back but for the life of me cannot find the thread.

Situation: In automatic, coming off say a highway in the 30 to 50 km's (20 mph) range and then trying to accelerate quickly but there is a 1-2 second pause/delay/lag before it kicks in and launches.

It is not 100% consistent but it happens often enough to bother me.

Experience with this issue? What is the cause and is there a fix?
Old 02-21-16, 05:40 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Seems like a slow downshift probably due to mapping if you are normal auto mode. I use sport + manual and have no issue. The fix would be a reflash to remap transmission shifting or stop putting so many damn gears in these transmission so downshift does not have to skip so many gears.
Old 02-21-16, 06:07 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

^ I second that. Plus note that the pedal has like two stages. If you barely move it, it won't respond especially in normal. Sport mode is good, it has lower threshold to rev engine and less reluctant to downshift.
Old 02-21-16, 06:17 PM
CoolCanuck
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies. Greatly appreciated.

Never had this issue in my ISF. Regardless of the 8 gears.

Just to be clear, when I say lagging, I mean I have virtually no power for 2 seconds when I "gas it".

It may be Winter here in Canada but I know how to give 'er and keep it in control.
Old 02-21-16, 06:22 PM
stoomac
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I've experienced the same phenomenon, installing an Apexi Throttle Controller next weekend when back in town to see if that improves experience.
Old 02-21-16, 06:32 PM
CoolCanuck
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by stoomac
I've experienced the same phenomenon, installing an Apexi Throttle Controller next weekend when back in town to see if that improves experience.
Please let me know how it works out for you. I will be down in Cali in 2 weeks and can pop by mod in Japan to buy it if it works.
Old 02-21-16, 07:00 PM
stoomac
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CoolCanuck
Please let me know how it works out for you. I will be down in Cali in 2 weeks and can pop by mod in Japan to buy it if it works.
Will do, I'm pretty sure it won't solve the actual problem but hopefully give more feel to the pedal so I don't feel like it's spooling up waiting on something.
Old 02-21-16, 07:27 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There's nothing wrong with it. Just enjoy the drive.
Old 02-22-16, 06:30 AM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 16 Posts

Just to be clear, when I say lagging, I mean I have virtually no power for 2 seconds when I "gas it".

It may be Winter here in Canada but I know how to give 'er and keep it in control.
I have the same issue with my car, have had it from the beginning as well. It is mostly occurring from a stop or from very low speeds. It isn't a gear change, as I have watched the gear position when it occurs. Something in the throttle mapping creates this lag, with no matter what the position of the pedal is, there is no engine response.

As Doug mentioned, he drives in manual/sport +, and I agree with him, I don't see it happening under those settings, manual seems to negate it. However, anything in auto mode seems to create this issue for me 95% of the time or so. I am going to have Lexus look at it during my next service.

It doesn't appear to be TC related either, as there is never any intervention of it happening during this lag. I will update this thread if I happen to find anything more out.

Kevin
Old 02-22-16, 08:13 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

My theory is, it must be switching from the Atkinson cycle to the Otto cycle so it first needs to determine if it is required based on the throttle inputs.
Old 02-22-16, 08:48 AM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
My theory is, it must be switching from the Atkinson cycle to the Otto cycle so it first needs to determine if it is required based on the throttle inputs.
I would have thought this too, however, it doesn't occur when the car is running it's Atkinson cycle. Buzzing around in eco mode, and flooring it doesn't create this issue. For me at least, it is low speed, situations, either from a stop or a yield turn situation, and it happens around 2,000 rpm or so. It also doesn't happen in straight manual mode.
Old 02-22-16, 09:29 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

some of you owners are trying to fix something for which there is no "cure" because it's not an original problem or "issue" as you call it in the least. be thankful you've got the best of the both worlds. torque converter smoothness/silence in the daily drive and wicked fast shift speeds bouncing off the rev limiter if you want to be silly + perfect rev matching. have you guys tried driving a dct every day? nothing is perfect. if there's an odd lag, quit trying to reproduce it.

apexi throttle map control? lol take it into a dealership so one of their fresh faced techs can see if there's a remedy? lol

just enjoy the drive.
Old 02-22-16, 09:53 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

""Glad" I'm not alone in this. Still, it's very disconcerting to say the least.
Old 02-22-16, 10:04 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I've experienced the lag..

had it in my Chrysler with MDS (multi-displacement) and 2 Chevy's with AFM (Active Fuel Management) both systems shut down 4 cylinders when cruising and flooring it in 4 cylinder mode causes a lag.

The RCF doesn't have the AFM/MDS technology, but it has the Atkinson cycle/Otto cycle, so having a lag doesn't surprise me. The computer needs time to adjust between the cycles and safely downshift, it is what it is.

I have experienced it in ECO and Normal mode, and to avoid it I switch to Sport mode prior to the need for acceleration. I don't experience lag in Sport or Sport + manual or auto

I use ECO mode when cruising on the highway in a basically straight line for a good distance, if I decide to change lanes to pass I switch to Sport first.

I use Normal mode for around town driving and stop and go traffic, again if I need to get on it I switch to Sport mode.

I use Sport mode for basically all other driving and Sport + mode for specific roads that I frequent that are basically back roads with no cross traffic, lots of twisties and a 55+ mph limit.
Old 02-22-16, 10:15 AM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ROK
some of you owners are trying to fix something for which there is no "cure" because it's not an original problem or "issue" as you call it in the least. be thankful you've got the best of the both worlds. torque converter smoothness/silence in the daily drive and wicked fast shift speeds bouncing off the rev limiter if you want to be silly + perfect rev matching. have you guys tried driving a dct every day? nothing is perfect. if there's an odd lag, quit trying to reproduce it.

apexi throttle map control? lol take it into a dealership so one of their fresh faced techs can see if there's a remedy? lol

just enjoy the drive.
Believe me, I am enjoying the drive, but that doesn't mean I need to be silent about something I, and others find fault with in the car. It is an issue; the ISF has a very similar setup, I have had two of them, and never experienced anything remotely close to this.

Why should we quit trying to reproduce the lag, when it happens almost every time I drive the car? Why wouldn't I want to try to remedy the situation? There is a clear moment where the car has zero throttle input, regardless of where the pedal is. On top of it being annoying, it could be a potential dangerous. A right turn yield, where you are off the brakes to accelerate and don't, opens you up to being rear ended by a possible careless driver. A stretch, yes, but a possibility.

I love this car, there is no doubt about that, I think it's damn near perfect, but I am all for a solution to this issue that a handful of us are having.

Quick Reply: Lagging acceleration